Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677346 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3030 on: July 10, 2016, 08:14:47 am »

I did my part. Upvoted and flagged as funny

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: July 10, 2016, 11:41:00 am »

I've been playing around with 1.2.1 and I've got to say it has definitely come on a lot. It's not fixed by a long, long shot, but it's a lot more playable. Strange how small things can make a big difference I guess. It does seem easier though.

My main issue at the moment is just the lack of automation. Having an auto explore for science ships would take a lot of the tedium out of things, as would having a 'upgrade all' button on the surface screen.

Not being able to see all stations is something that's really, really frustrating. I was involved in an all out war with a neighbor, but all the nearest planets were in a sector, which meant I had to go and mess about to find the stations to build up more ships. So frustrating.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: July 10, 2016, 11:48:29 am »

I've been playing around with 1.2.1 and I've got to say it has definitely come on a lot. It's not fixed by a long, long shot, but it's a lot more playable. Strange how small things can make a big difference I guess. It does seem easier though.

My main issue at the moment is just the lack of automation. Having an auto explore for science ships would take a lot of the tedium out of things, as would having a 'upgrade all' button on the surface screen.

Not being able to see all stations is something that's really, really frustrating. I was involved in an all out war with a neighbor, but all the nearest planets were in a sector, which meant I had to go and mess about to find the stations to build up more ships. So frustrating.

No auto-explore, but you can queue system survey orders with shift-click. You can do the same for normal move orders if you want a specific pathing.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: July 10, 2016, 11:52:44 am »

No auto-explore, but you can queue system survey orders with shift-click.

The problem with that is that as soon as you hit a system with an enemy/hostile alien in it, it immediately jumps you out and scrubs your queue. If it tried to recompute a path back that'd be fine, as would just an auto-explore.

From early blog posts about it, I know paradox wanted to have the science ship stuff as a sort of 'star trek' bit within the main game, where you could go and explore the galaxy whilst your civ built up, but obviously that didn't work out in any way whatsoever, and it's just an annoying micro that you have to do if you want to unlock a few bonuses. I feel the holdover feeling of '!!cool minigame!!' has stopped them from implementing autoexplore, as that'd basically be accepting that it's just not that fun/involving.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: July 10, 2016, 12:02:26 pm »

Something I do to mitigate that is that I have my combat fleet do a run through the scannable systems first before my survey ship does by giving them queue'd move orders, once I had the combat fleet do the preliminary exploration of 10 or so systems I move them back to take care of any hostiles their preliminary checks found that they can handle, and then queue up a bunch of system scans with the survey ship the autoflee turned off.

The admiral gets xp, the survey ships can do any important debris scans while they are surveying, I know the systems are 99% safe and a random mostly harmless amebea warping in and sitting on the system edge won't put the survey ship into 'poo our lizardy pants and cancel everything' mode.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: July 10, 2016, 12:04:56 pm »

Yeah I just do a suicide run through every system I can reach with a few super disposible military ships before queing any scanning.  Usually if I can't kill something I just route the science vessel around it till I have a better military.
Nom nom nom

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3036 on: July 10, 2016, 01:51:52 pm »

Something I do to mitigate that is that I have my combat fleet do a run through the scannable systems first before my survey ship does by giving them queue'd move orders, once I had the combat fleet do the preliminary exploration of 10 or so systems I move them back to take care of any hostiles their preliminary checks found that they can handle, and then queue up a bunch of system scans with the survey ship the autoflee turned off.

I ended up doing the same thing this game, but it's still a lot of micro now that you can go through any borders. It's one of those annoying things which is *just* beneficial enough to spend time doing, but not interesting/useful enough to actually enjoy it. A shame really, I feel that with just a few UI adjustments it'd really help mitigate mid-game tedium, and allow you to actually concentrate on strategy rather than mindless clicking.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3037 on: July 16, 2016, 01:30:02 am »

From the subreddit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The quotes in this game are fantastic.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: July 16, 2016, 06:21:37 am »

Devs need to do -a lot- of work to improve the AI or it's all for naught, simple as that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3039 on: July 16, 2016, 06:23:10 am »

Devs need to do -a lot- of work to improve the AI or it's all for naught, simple as that.
Well the former AI programmer is now the head idea guy I guess, so maybe they'll get a new AI programmer who will fix it

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3040 on: July 16, 2016, 06:57:24 am »

So they don't have an AI programmer right now? That explains a lot. :P
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: July 16, 2016, 02:58:40 pm »

I still don't get the "Who is X? This is X speaking" one.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3042 on: July 16, 2016, 03:10:29 pm »

I doubt it's correct, but I like to imagine it's your leader just being incredibly egocentric. '"Who is X?" I hear you ask! I am X!'
There's also unique insults if your race doesn't wear clothes and the target does.

Anyway, apparently there's a plant appearance DLC incoming.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: July 16, 2016, 03:16:54 pm »

I doubt it's correct, but I like to imagine it's your leader just being incredibly egocentric. '"Who is X?" I hear you ask! I am X!'

Have you considered naming your leader "John Galt?"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3044 on: July 16, 2016, 04:38:38 pm »

My guess was that because of its required ethic (that I now can't remember. Collectivist I think?) it implies that your character, the leader of your Civ, isn't actually that important.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 632