Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678434 times)

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6570 on: June 20, 2018, 04:05:14 pm »

Defensive systems give you an edge, you might otherwise not have resources or time for. They also delay advancing enemies. They can be deleted once destroyed, but not by normal civ AI as far as I know.

I think AI in general, in games, is pretty bad. New approaches have to be made, but the guys coding it commercially seem to be hard core traditionalists using proven "good enough" results for shipping-for less work algorithms and scorning difficult evolutionary or neural approaches. It is the player who should get handicaps, not the AI, and indeed that is the case with experimental moba AI.

However, AI competitors are not the main challenge with this game.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6571 on: June 20, 2018, 04:12:23 pm »

I've found well defended systems to be extremely helpful later on too, they slow down enemy advances during the months and months it could take to redeploy your fleets across a large empire. A few heavily defended systems in a row, especially ones with forts on planets, can slow down an enemy advance significantly

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: June 20, 2018, 06:26:52 pm »

Unlocked an L-gate for the first time.

Contained !!!FUN!!!.

Lost that game hard.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: June 21, 2018, 02:17:17 am »

L-gate experience
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: June 21, 2018, 09:50:24 pm »

Only opened the L-gates once, and all that had was a bunch of unique resources (and a backdoor into my empire for other empires to exploit)

That's why you fortify the entire thing on both ends and place a ringworld in each system, then move your entire pop to the L-Cluster and become the ultimate fallen empire.

Or, something like that.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6575 on: June 22, 2018, 10:58:38 pm »

In my last game I took every system with an L-gate and used the L-cluster as my primary shipyard so reinforcements could deploy out through the nearest l-gate. I also put a normal gateway in there so they could come through the closest gateway instead if that was faster. It worked well

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: June 22, 2018, 11:17:16 pm »

hmm in my current game i dont even have any gates or l gates... just wormholes

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: June 23, 2018, 04:00:41 pm »

I hate wormholes, they're just holes in my defense I can't adequately guard, unless I put a gate right there to have my fleet be able to get them all but I'd rather put them near borders then wormholes.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: June 23, 2018, 04:11:41 pm »

I hate wormholes, they're just holes in my defense I can't adequately guard, unless I put a gate right there to have my fleet be able to get them all but I'd rather put them near borders then wormholes.
Isn't that the point, in a way? To allow for risky backdoors?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: June 23, 2018, 04:15:44 pm »

In my current game I have brain slugs and Psionics leading me to have ridiculous research bonuses and also enough unity bonuses that my energy grids give 6 unity.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: June 26, 2018, 11:21:11 pm »

Is it possible to save scum which crisis you get?  I researched jump drives in this game specifically so I'd get the Unbidden instead of Contingency, but got the Contingency anyway...

After looking it up, I see that regular jump drives just permit the Unbidden instead of greatly increasing their odds of showing up, which requires psi jump drives.  And having robots means you're more likely to get the Contingency, although if the numbers on the wiki are accurate I must have just gotten supremely unlucky in this game and the last.  It looks like you're supposed to have a roughly 75% chance of no crisis every 5 years, yet I got Contingency on the first roll both times.

I don't want to give up playing materialists, so if save scumming the crisis is an option in the future, I might be tempted to do it...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: June 27, 2018, 12:59:26 am »

It looks like psionics is basically the "singlehandedly destroy the galaxy" ascension path.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: June 27, 2018, 01:20:18 am »

Is it possible to save scum which crisis you get?
Technically, but you have to revert to a save up to 1000 days (it's random) prior to when you get alerted to which crisis is happening. You can also manually force whichever crisis you want if you're not in ironman and don't mind cheating a little, or edit the save to allow the routing event to fire naturally again.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: June 27, 2018, 03:03:10 am »

Technically, but you have to revert to a save up to 1000 days (it's random) prior to when you get alerted to which crisis is happening. You can also manually force whichever crisis you want if you're not in ironman and don't mind cheating a little, or edit the save to allow the routing event to fire naturally again.
I actually recommend the mod that enables all three of the crisises.

It sounds horrific at first, but it's actually great fun.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: June 27, 2018, 06:18:54 am »

I actually recommend the mod that enables all three of the crisises.

It sounds horrific at first, but it's actually great fun.
do the 3 crisis also fight eachother?
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 632