Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Your most uber "Duh" moments  (Read 21168 times)

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your most uber "Duh" moments
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2009, 12:26:08 am »

I think I sat there laughing for a good five minutes.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 08:09:17 am »

heh, the fatal loot collecting habbits of dwarves can be a nightmare. im so happy items automatically forbid on drop nowadays. although going through unforbidding the clothing of an entire slaughtered goblin siege is a chore. i can remember having an open chasm on my second fort in the mountains, and the migrants allways started at the farthest most dangerous point they could. only a few would manage to run the gauntlet every year, but it was a nightmare trying to find every last body or clothed dwarf chunk amongst all the z levels of the terrain to stop the rest of my dwarves from running out and gettign slaughtered.

also, that channel picture is awesome. i hope toady does something with the ai to help prevent that sort of thing. as well as dwarves who wall themselves up and dwarves who dig squares that can only be accessed diagonally while channeling, causing caveins. its also nice that they dont channel the ground out from underneath each other anymore.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2009, 11:40:07 am »

its also nice that they dont channel the ground out from underneath each other anymore.

Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2009, 09:27:59 am »

Personal quote of mine: "How is it doing that?  Wait... it was only magma that doesn't flow up, wasn't it?"

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2009, 09:45:19 am »

That sounds like it has a story behind it!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2009, 03:59:25 pm »

"Gah, what is with all this useless bauxite?"

It would have been more ironic if i had magma on the map.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2009, 06:09:43 pm »

going through unforbidding the clothing of an entire slaughtered goblin siege is a chore.

This can be alleviated somewhat if the battlefield is confined to a single z-level.  Go to the (d)esignate menu, then (b) for...whatever (b) is for, and choose the re(c)laim option.  This will let you designate an entire area to be unforbidden, just like you do with mining or stockpiles (it's also tremendously useful for mass dumping or melting).

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2009, 03:32:37 pm »

Dwarves can't eat each other to survive.   :(

HOW WOULD I KNOW!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2009, 04:03:35 pm »

Sorry. Had to be done.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2009, 07:44:59 pm »

Maybe my squad of legendary wrestlers will enjoy training outside, so that they won't get cave adaptation.  Ohh.. here's a nice spot, right next a beautiful pond. 
literally 10 seconds later
Urist McUberwrestler has drown to death
Tosid McUberwrestler has drown to death
Zas McUberwrestler is throwing a tantrum

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2009, 08:29:07 pm »

Oh, yes, i had another one once.

"I guess i'll just forbid non-combatents from going outdoors. My walls should keep them safe from entrance dance related deaths, and therefore i don't need to forbid items from the dead."

a little later: "why is my fortress guard charging the swordmaster? oh well, they should be fine, it's not like this is rocket tag, and my own swordmasters are coming up to help out"

And that is how i learned that DF does not think that people ought to get brown/light grey wounds from sharp things.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2009, 11:12:33 pm »

dont know if i posted it in this thread yet. but my first time ever setting up a barracks and trying to train a military was quite eventful.

after reading about crosstraining crossbowmen in hammers, i gave my legendary sherrif a hammer and sent him training with the brand new peasant recruits. with me watching he hit the first recruit he came across. a dwarf chunk flew across the room, out the open door, down the channeled gap near the stairwell and landed in the dining room. the recruit wandered around bleeding for a short time then fell over dead. sheriff had the thoughts "has lost a friend to tragedy recently. has taken joy in slaughter. has had a satisfying sparring session recently". examining the chunk revealed it was a dwarf liver. my sheriff smacked a recruits liver clean out of his body without damaging anything else. that was how i learnt not to set unskilled dwarves sparring with high quality steel weapons and no armor.

other horribly irritating mistake i made was putting a well in the barracks, so the wounded would have water close by. dwarves would dodge into the well while sparring and drown. it took something like 10 deaths for me to figure out what was going on, i kept scouring the river every time i got the "urist mcstupid has drowned" message.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2009, 05:40:22 am »

my sheriff smacked a recruits liver clean out of his body without damaging anything else.
Obviously your dwarf committed suicide because he could never drink alcohol again.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Warmduscher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2009, 08:56:04 am »

Pfft, culling the weak out of your millitary by training accidents is an honorable tradition. Besides I usually just can't be arsed to furbid/dump/reclaim the steel or silver weapons between sieges.

But to my own duh moments:

First the Carp spiral. Had a nice map with a big river and seeing there are many carp in there my first priority was building a well. So far so good. A few years later everything was running fine and I just let it run in the background while browsing. But the next time I switched back the river was runnning red with blood and my population halved. The well had run dry and a friendly dwarf nurse went to the river to get a bucket of water for my wounded where he died horribly... what lead to 8 others to run to the river to get his stuff and his corpse... cue more deaths and more stuff lying around to gather.

Or my pyramid failure. In honor of my Duke I made a sweet 15x15 tile pyramid outside of my fortress. The ground level even had a mini-dungeon to the Dukes burial chamber littered with traps. The last trap was a pressure plate for the self-destruction. At least that was planned, what actually happened was: "Alright, built a big cavern under the pyramid, now I only need to channel out a moat around the pyramid and then it will only be held up by a single support that I then link to the pressure plate." *orders the channeling and the building of said critical support. Turns out that 6 legendary miners channel faster then my dwarves manage to build said support.... *crash*
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 08:57:39 am by Warmduscher »

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2009, 09:33:37 am »

Pfft, culling the weak out of your millitary by training accidents is an honorable tradition. Besides I usually just can't be arsed to furbid/dump/reclaim the steel or silver weapons between sieges.

nice cavein.

ive sent my military out plenty of times to fight, forgetting they all have silver and wood weapons. it isnt as bad as you might think, it seems to make things more fair. as in, my champions were still ok but a lot of the less skilled got mashed. without realizing ive had squads of champions running around with silver axes for years at a time. now i make them all legendary wrestlers first, and screw the weapon swapping. seems to majorly cut down sparring accidents and i dont have to do the horrible weapon micro.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6