Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 162

Author Topic: The Museum: Adventure mode succession world (DF 34.11)  (Read 785482 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: The Museum: Adventure item quest (adventure succession game)
« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2012, 01:49:08 am »

Close to finishing my fortress, should upload tonight I think. It's beautiful outside but I have my priorities and I don't want to go out until I've gotten this thing done! It's not perfectly what I planned it to be, and I'm regretting some choices I made in the very beginning which can't be fixed now, but I still think it will make an interesting place to visit.

I will definitely use DFHack to make it a lair to prevent item scatter. Does anyone mind if I use other methods to try to keep it an active fortress instead of abandoning? Will that make a difference to the adventurer game other than to show a fortress icon instead of a ruins one? I don't want to bug the save of course.

And yes, Broken, Niyazov is right - see my title to the left there. :) I think my adventurer succession will be my next project so just watch for it and ask for a turn when it gets started.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2012, 12:45:50 pm »

Using dfhack to leave an active instead of an abandoned fortress should be safe, for as far as I know. It should have some added advantages; the dwarves living there should be a bit more responsive (no more "wait until I have returned to my home"replies) and you should be able to retire adventurers there.

I've added Broken to the turn list.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2012, 02:42:41 pm »

Can you describe exactly the procedure for leaving the fortress active? The forum thread you linked to in the first post is confusing me. :( Also, do you know if dwarves will stay where they are put, like if they are behind a locked door for example? And it seems animals will die no matter what? That's a shame.

Anyway I'm nearly done. Spent way too many hours playing this today and I need to finish it and take a break.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2012, 03:03:44 pm »

actually I have no idea, there used to be a three step procedure to do this under that link, that looked understandable. I've never used it myself. The post seems to have been edited now, and I can't find the simple explanation anymore. Actually the difference between a fortress retired using that trick, or just preventing item scatter isn't that big, and probably not worth the effort.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2012, 03:09:18 pm »

Alright. I suppose for the purposes of this game it doesn't need to be active anyway - everyone's final destination is the museum anyway so there's no need to make it a place they can retire. I'll have to hope dwarves stay in locked rooms - I guess I'll test it before I upload to find out.

Edit: Whoops, made a huge engineering error. Big stupid one. Gonna try to fix it as much as possible, but I'm completely burnt out tonight. If I don't get it finished by end of tomorrow, I'll just upload it as-is.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 05:31:19 pm by Sappho »

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2012, 11:51:41 pm »

Aye, I actually can't do my turn this week, Could you delay me a few positions?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2012, 03:40:56 am »

Okay, I'm throwing in the towel and uploading now. Did a test run with an adventurer and certain aspects do not work the way I planned. Also a very large part of the design was badly planned and doesn't work so great (will be obvious what I mean when someone visits I think) - but I'd have to start over from the beginning to fix that. Also, looks like dwarfs do NOT stay put on abandon even if lair is set and they are locked behind closed doors.

HOWEVER, there are enough cool things in this fort that I think it will be worth visiting, especially for one particular item. I have walled off the main fort (boring) and left obvious entrances to the two interesting parts. One part contains items of value, and the other is for exploring. Also, keep your eye out for the newly appointed count, whom others whisper strange things about - but since he won't stay where I put him, he may be hidden away somewhere and unavailable to see when you visit, unfortunately.

The fort is named Nerkivish (Lakelancers) and can be found here:

Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6388

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2012, 01:28:31 pm »

Great! sounds like you put a lot of work into this. I'll update the map with fortress locations later tonight.
I've reordered the turn list as requested, and I've send Spinal_taper a PM.

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2012, 09:22:41 pm »

Well... this looks rather amazing... Never seen a succession Adventure mode, I've always wanted to start a succession game (or join in on one near the beginning) but have yet to attempt, hmmph, tossing out a request then, though I'm torn between spending time on the adventurer or just making a bunch of little artificial trap filled ruins...

So yeah, spot please.
Slicity, slice, stab, stab, cut, thrust, roundhouse kick, hack

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2012, 11:15:14 pm »

Is it okay to borrow gear from the museum? Also, first set of journal entries for my racial supremacist Religious fanatic.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:22:27 pm by Spinal_Taper »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 28, 2012, 06:50:59 am »

Is it okay to borrow gear from the museum?

If it is some random junk then it's ok, if it is actually on display then probably not. It is ok to read the necromancer books, but if we for example had an artifact adamantine sword on display (which we don't) borrowing it would not be ok, as it would be likely to get lost.

Story is looking good so far, I hope you can get a new item for the museum, it's been a while since we last had a successful adventurer. I've added Siraidan9 to the turn list.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:53:58 am by Bralbaard »

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 28, 2012, 11:45:31 am »

Is it okay to borrow gear from the museum?

I've added Siraidan9 to the turn list.

alright thanks.
Slicity, slice, stab, stab, cut, thrust, roundhouse kick, hack

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2012, 09:33:26 am »

I have seen a posible problem.

If this continues long enough all humans will die of old age . Maybe even the dwarves.
in another succeion game decided to give inmortality for everybody, but is to late to do that now.

In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2012, 10:50:17 am »

If this continues long enough all humans will die of old age . Maybe even the dwarves.
in another succeion game decided to give inmortality for everybody, but is to late to do that now.

That could become a problem if the game persists too long, yes. It would take quite a while, though.

I'd like to join, too.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 31, 2012, 01:31:59 pm »

I think age is not being tracked for most of the population, only for the few families and people that are tied to historical events (correct me if I'm wrong). Human cities will thus still have citizens, but the more interesting people will die of old age, except for the vampires. There should still be plenty of things for adventurers to do, certainly with all the new fortresses we're adding to the world. With all that said, I do hope that gameplay will be updated soon to properly handle things like birth and death. I think toady hinted somewhere that it will likely happen sooner rather than later. I'll update the turn list.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 162