Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: DF v0.42.06 Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 49761 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.42.02+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #165 on: June 04, 2016, 09:30:22 am »

... Can someone make one almost identical to this, except with a normal world's number of z-levels? Or even better, tell me what to tweak to adjust total z-levels so I can do that myself.
It depends.  Do you want three caverns, or just one or two?  Do you want all/some/many of the z-levels between the embark and the first cavern, or between caverns 1 and 2, or between caverns 2 and 3, or between cavern 3 and the magma sea, or all spread out?

Changing the embark depth will change what minerals and ore you have there, too.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: DF v0.43.03+ Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #166 on: June 07, 2016, 07:01:46 pm »

@vjek
Is there a reliable way bring a .43 world back to .42 ? I genned a nice medium world with most of what I want, and war with the hippies, in .43 but in .42 the primary group of mountains becomes good aligned and no war :(  I'd love to play this right now with some of the useful dfhack tools but so far no such luck. I have a feeling that I'm SOL, but can't hurt to ask.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 07, 2016, 07:37:49 pm »

You could simply try pasting the region folder from one to the other, though it might not work and just crash (perhaps due stone axes).

Otherwise, good and evil squares are randomly decided - you can only mess with the odds.

Adam Mantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 07, 2016, 09:25:54 pm »

How does one go about generating a world with a lot of volcanos? I thought setting the minimum volcanism really high would do it but it didn't seem to.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 07, 2016, 10:16:25 pm »

Number of generated volcanoes = Minimum Volcano Number, as long as you have at least that much squares with 100 volcanism (if you don't, you will get rejections).

Mahesar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 08, 2016, 12:42:03 am »

You could simply try pasting the region folder from one to the other, though it might not work and just crash (perhaps due stone axes).

Otherwise, good and evil squares are randomly decided - you can only mess with the odds.

I tried this and the world doesn't even show up to start in. I guess I'll just have to play it vanilla until everything is updated for .43. Thanks.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 08, 2016, 09:42:45 am »

@vjek
Is there a reliable way bring a .43 world back to .42 ? I genned a nice medium world with most of what I want, and war with the hippies, in .43 but in .42 the primary group of mountains becomes good aligned and no war :(  I'd love to play this right now with some of the useful dfhack tools but so far no such luck. I have a feeling that I'm SOL, but can't hurt to ask.
After some testing, it seems moving 42.xx worlds to 43.xx doesn't appear to work, so I doubt the reverse is true, either.  Sorry, chris-strain. :(

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 09, 2016, 12:02:48 am »

In case someone is interested in this world created in DF v0.42.06.

Size of embark: 2x2
History: 250 years
Metals: Iron/steel, brass, silver and tons of copper and gold.
Flux: Yes.
Sand and clay: Yes and yes (fireclay)
Contact with all four civs: dwarves, elves, humans and goblins (in case you don't contact any of them repeat the creation of the world until you have contact with all four of them)
Biome: Untamed Wilds/Tropical Forest/Heavily forested/Warm temperature. If you move your embark location to the west or to the north you will find similar embark characteristics but with different biomes/less wild.
Aquifer: No. In case you want an aquifer for any reason you have an aquifer in the biome bellow the embark location but the aquifer tiles lack of ores.
River: Yes.
Caverns:3.
Magma distance to the surface: 46 levels (there is a magma pool).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Face each battle, each foe, as though it is your last.

One day it will be"

conflictensues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2016, 12:10:00 am »

In case someone is interested in this world created in DF v0.42.06.

Size of embark: 2x2
History: 250 years
Metals: Iron/steel, brass, silver and tons of copper and gold.
Flux: Yes.
Sand and clay: Yes and yes (fireclay)
Contact with all four civs: dwarves, elves, humans and goblins (in case you don't contact any of them repeat the creation of the world until you have contact with all four of them)
Biome: Untamed Wilds/Tropical Forest/Heavily forested/Warm temperature. If you move your embark location to the west or to the north you will find similar embark characteristics but with different biomes/less wild.
Aquifer: No. In case you want an aquifer for any reason you have an aquifer in the biome bellow the embark location but the aquifer tiles lack of ores.
River: Yes.
Caverns:3.
Magma distance to the surface: 46 levels (there is a magma pool).

...whoa, is the surface of that map flat?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2016, 12:22:23 am »

It could display the location in region/world area, though :p

....I discovered a curious thing on generating open-air caverns by embarking several times on top of same volcano with switched area:

Volcanoes - magma pool height and it's obsidian encasing is generated the moment you embark, not before. Should you disable BOTTOM LAYER (FORCES MAGMA), I've found volcanoes to be empty of magma unless you put the volcano into upper left corner of embark selection. This way you can consistently get caverns with hole from magma sea to sky in the middle.

Mind you, the worldgens between bottom yes and bottom no didn't use exact same maps, but the behaviour is consistent enough. This gives potentially another reason to turn off spoilers, should you not mind a map that is probably not flat. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:05:47 am by Fleeting Frames »

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2016, 02:48:12 am »

...whoa, is the surface of that map flat?
Most of it (3/4). The north-west part is a mountain.

It could display the location in region/world area, though :p

It is displayed. Search for the yellow X to the right in both maps.

One day it will be"

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2016, 03:12:49 am »

Oh, my bad :p I assumed that it would be in the center, and yellow in center turned up those plains :p

When it comes to flatness, I've noticed that rivers usually are on flat ground (though the map in general may not be) - and if they do have a waterfall, it is straight drop to the bottom. I'd guess the hilly side is on the northwest?

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 09, 2016, 05:23:41 am »

Oh, my bad :p I assumed that it would be in the center, and yellow in center turned up those plains :p

When it comes to flatness, I've noticed that rivers usually are on flat ground (though the map in general may not be) - and if they do have a waterfall, it is straight drop to the bottom. I'd guess the hilly side is on the northwest?
IIRC the river is surrounded by mountains, but as the river passess through 3/4 of the map (the north-east, the south-east and the south-west), those areas of the map are flat and there is just a mountain in half of the northwest area. As you rightly say the rivers are allways on flat ground. There might be embark sites to the north of this one that are completely flat and have similar characteristics in ores, aquifer, clay, sand, etc. (but with no magma-pool).

This is the map of my embark (the mountain in grey color, flat terrain in green and rivers and pools in blue):

One day it will be"

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2016, 02:37:19 am »

Following up on that:
Well, since the rivers/lakes are pretty predictable even with random seeds, though seemingly randomly dependent on elevation (minimum flat for their formation seems 104 with 50 rainfall/drainage iirc with them organizing into neat straight horizontal lines once you give some real height), decided to prop some volcanoes next to them to see what happens. River/lake map changes a bit with elevation granted thus, but not too much.

Art Results:
Typically cliffs (0 erosion cycles though), as the volcano map raise and riverbed map flatness fight each other. However, plenty of flattish volcanoes with 1-4 zlevels along map edge. I'm deeming this method a tentative success. (When I went out of my way to pick the other side of a cliff, I still got within 7, and when I went looking for flats I got even flatter terrain than expected.)

No magma layer, so without magma...

Ran it with magma inside just to see what happens. First cave-in starts on 200-03-07, but only a few happen. Mostly flat floor, with few water and magma pockets. The lake will be completely flat again in just five days. If you ran this without magma inside, could perhaps drown the caverns with one hell of a waterfall :p...Well, only that watery, fleeting frames per second hell though.

Btw, dwarves can spawn on volcano-caused mountains, so you can have them even if your map's min and max elevation is 1 - just stick few volcanoes next to each other for their elevation-raising effects to boost each other to mountains. I guess this way one can make it more likely mountainhomes export magma?

Anyway, wiki says rivers and lakes come off mountains and happen in areas with high rainfall/low drainage. Not exactly true, what's with them being created on perfectly flat lowish-elevation maps, but elevation does impact them dramatically. I see them not being present on 100-103, getting above structures for about next fifteen z-levels and then turning horizontal for regional rivers, rarely changing position.

This leaves me to ask - how are those rivers placed?

If figured out, one could perhaps make it far easier to put a river right next to a volcano on 2x2 embark with 4 biomes. Propping volcanoes next to the river and hoping it is close when one also wants every kind of alcohol in fortress is bit more effort and time than even building a pumpstack and utilizing it, let alone sticking the bait into the caverns.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:40:24 am by Fleeting Frames »

Adam Mantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2016, 02:09:18 pm »

Number of generated volcanoes = Minimum Volcano Number, as long as you have at least that much squares with 100 volcanism (if you don't, you will get rejections).

So in other words "Minimum Volcano Number" is actually "exact volcano numner"?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13