Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 183120 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1590 on: March 19, 2016, 12:59:23 am »

It's the whole "martial character growth is linear, spellcasters are quadratic" argument. A spellcaster just gets a lot of tools in their toybox that let them break rules in the game that martial characters don't. Still, at the end of the day the features of the class isn't as important as the character and their player. Some people don't enjoy spellcasters and their near infinite options. They don't want to have to invest weeks of research into learning lists of spells they can prepare each day, the effects of them all, etc. They'd much rather roll a d20 and see if they hit it with their axe.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: March 22, 2016, 11:08:20 pm »

And some people just want to pretend to be an adolescent girl going shopping. There's only a certain degree of variance in playstyle that a game can take before becoming a mess.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: March 23, 2016, 12:25:41 am »

Maid RPG?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: March 23, 2016, 12:58:22 am »

And some people just want to pretend to be an adolescent girl going shopping. There's only a certain degree of variance in playstyle that a game can take before becoming a mess.
And this logic is shit. If you'd like me to, I'll elaborate, but my basic point is two fold; A. If variance in play style is a bad thing, you'll have to remove all classes from the game, and play Commoners, because every class gets something unique. B. If your game is such that nonspellcasters aren't played because they aren't effective, then your point is coming from a skewed perspective, and you'll have a hard time convincing everyone else that it's valid in a wider context.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: March 23, 2016, 03:25:13 am »

Variance in play isn't bad. Massive variance in play is bad. Like many other things in game design, balance is key. And the reason it's called balance is because it takes a beneficial midpoint between the extremes.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: March 23, 2016, 11:57:13 am »

Wait, nevermind. I think we agree on the issue that I thought we disagreed on. Sorry.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: March 27, 2016, 08:58:36 pm »

Small update on the Fate Star Control/ Ur-Quan Masters game.

I decided we were going to use the Atomic Robo RPG rules. I started explaining the differences between the rulesets, I was still planning to play a not-so-camp space opera with all starting characters as terran humans, but the players really liked all the crazy stuff in the AR game/comics. So, long story short, they came up with these characters:

• A mad scientist (specializing in robotics, nanotech and something else).
  • A robot (built by the scientist) who is also a secret agent.
  • A cyborg martial artist / delivery guy / action chef (with science specializing in gastronomy) - he also has a cyber cat that releases an EMP burst if you rub it really hard
  • A dragonborn(TM) with occult(?) powers who looks like a human for now. His origin story is basically Hellboy.
Ok, so this definitely took a turn for the weird, but I'm rolling with it.
Also since everyone is 12 years old, I only let them fill the lowest 2 modes (kinda like archetypes, you get 3 total). Also the robot is also a kid so he's this guy:

The other kids's concepts is essentially their grown up versions, so for now they probably just run around in grade schoolyard shouting "I'm a ninja spy!" or whatever.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:15:40 am by Sergius »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: April 07, 2016, 07:50:13 pm »

I decided we were going to use the Atomic Robo RPG rules. I started explaining the differences between the rulesets, I was still planning to play a not-so-camp space opera with all starting characters as terran humans, but the players really liked all the crazy stuff in the AR game/comics. So, long story short, they came up with these characters:
How is this going?
Sounds like it'd be great fun. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: April 10, 2016, 04:07:06 pm »

Anyone played X-Wing?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: April 10, 2016, 05:59:02 pm »

How is this going?
Sounds like it'd be great fun. :)

Hadn't been able to get together and play for the past 2 weeks, for several reasons, including last week I had to move out from my apartment, and today we had national elections.
Hopefully, next week we'll be able to play some of this, if people don't prefer to play D&D fantasy boardgame wossname.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: April 10, 2016, 07:23:03 pm »

In case anyone didn't hear yet there's a third edition of unknown armies coming.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: April 11, 2016, 06:26:05 am »

So what's the difference between the national elections and a game of D&D?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: April 11, 2016, 07:16:46 am »

How about this for an idea.

Venture Bros game, probably a one shot, using the (to be soon printed) Delta Green or Trail of Cthulhu systems.

So basically, as the GM, I can do the fun zanny, over the top, pulpy costumes villain and indian jones boulder trap. But then the system is a hard edge to that.

As part of what Venture Bros does, is they have all the larger then life stuff, but they don't forget the human cost and psychic harm  caused by these antics. 

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: April 11, 2016, 07:31:13 am »

In case anyone didn't hear yet there's a third edition of unknown armies coming.

For anyone who is unaware, this is being made by Atlas Games, the creator of Feng Shui (1 & 2), Over the Edge, and the Gloom card game. They also did Ars Magica 5th edition.

I had starred this project before but the quoted post got me to actually go check some reviews. I'm now a backer. Hopefully they send out the PDFs of the previous editions at some point before April 2017 to tide people over.

How about this for an idea.

Venture Bros game, probably a one shot, using the (to be soon printed) Delta Green or Trail of Cthulhu systems.

So basically, as the GM, I can do the fun zanny, over the top, pulpy costumes villain and indian jones boulder trap. But then the system is a hard edge to that.

As part of what Venture Bros does, is they have all the larger then life stuff, but they don't forget the human cost and psychic harm  caused by these antics. 

Something like Adventure! might also work, if you redo some of the 1940s pulp stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 131