Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7643 7644 [7645] 7646 7647 ... 10987

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13414134 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #114660 on: December 01, 2016, 09:38:49 am »

You also know a game is going to run on a console if it runs on someone else's console.

Yeah but if you've already taken their game you might as well have stolen their console too.
Love, scriver~

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #114661 on: December 01, 2016, 10:12:18 am »

It's just a story, you can interpret it however you want. Only thing I remember is when the History Channel was in their religion phase they talked about "water springing from the spear wound" as being caused by embolism.

Putting aside that none of this happened and it isn't history, it was a fairly good day for History Channel in-between blocks of Ice Road Truckers and Satan: The True Story.

I might regret asking this but... Please explain what you mean when you say none of this happened. Jesus and Buddha, at least, have historical records unrelated to the religion/ideology itself that confirm their existance.
Just noticed this. The quick version:

Not really. When dealing with figures given a sacred religious nature, the ability to rely upon historical record starts to break down when compared to secular figures. In terms of the big three religions, the base likelihood of existence is greatest for Mohamed and least for Jesus. Given his military actions, Islam emerging from whole cloth seems unlikely.  Buddha started life as a noble and thus had a chance of record, but everything about him is also just tradition. Jesus, on the other hand, is a complete unknown.

The historical record on these subjects cannot be fully trusted because said record is tainted by tradition and ad hoc reasoning. People who left records about their founding years were almost all followers, and as such supported their religious identity as a truth to start from. With thousands of years of potential corruption with motive for that corruption to exist, it probably does. Even if it doesn't, it's still prudent to remain skeptical.

There's also a case for outcomes other than "existed as recorded" and "literally fake". Was there a dissident rabbi-carpenter combo pack named Yeshua who was crucified by the Roman Empire to keep his followers from acting up? We can't possibly know. That information is lost, probably forever. When I say "didn't happen", that is a functional description in relevance to reliable history.
Russell's Teapot doesn't exist. It might, but... we treat it as unreal because we have no way of verifying its reality. Is this like that?

Then once we get into miracles, it's like Russell's Teapot containing millions of aliens, being responsible for all life and matter in the universe, and being simultaneously invisible and pink. Yeah, no.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #114662 on: December 01, 2016, 11:03:01 am »

It's just a story, you can interpret it however you want. Only thing I remember is when the History Channel was in their religion phase they talked about "water springing from the spear wound" as being caused by embolism.

Putting aside that none of this happened and it isn't history, it was a fairly good day for History Channel in-between blocks of Ice Road Truckers and Satan: The True Story.

I might regret asking this but... Please explain what you mean when you say none of this happened. Jesus and Buddha, at least, have historical records unrelated to the religion/ideology itself that confirm their existance.

Not really. When dealing with figures given a sacred religious nature, the ability to rely upon historical record starts to break down when compared to secular figures. In terms of the big three religions, the base likelihood of existence is greatest for Mohamed and least for Jesus. Given his military actions, Islam emerging from whole cloth seems unlikely.  Buddha started life as a noble and thus had a chance of record, but everything about him is also just tradition. Jesus, on the other hand, is a complete unknown.

The historical record on these subjects cannot be fully trusted because said record is tainted by tradition and ad hoc reasoning. People who left records about their founding years were almost all followers, and as such supported their religious identity as a truth to start from. With thousands of years of potential corruption with motive for that corruption to exist, it probably does. Even if it doesn't, it's still prudent to remain skeptical.

There's also a case for outcomes other than "existed as recorded" and "literally fake". Was there a dissident rabbi-carpenter combo pack named Yeshua who was crucified by the Roman Empire to keep his followers from acting up? We can't possibly know. That information is lost, probably forever. When I say "didn't happen", that is a functional description in relevance to reliable history.

Ah, when I said 'Jesus existed,' I meant 'there are historical records of a guy claiming to be the son of the Abrahamic God who was crucified for this fact.' Whether or not he was the son of God is a different conversation entirely.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114663 on: December 01, 2016, 11:05:31 am »

@Consoles
Consoles don't even know what their niche is anymore.  I remember the days where a console was good because you could just buy a game, put in the cart or disk, and play the frikking game on a console. 

[second hand info from a friend with consoles]
Now there is an hours long install process for every game you buy and hard disk space concerns to worry about.  Not having to do that crap was the biggest perk of a console.  At least on the PC you can play something else on it (admittedly at reduced performance on a pc with comparable price to a console) or surf the internet, or watch youtube while it's installing.  With a console it might as well be bricked for 2 hours.[/2nd hand info]

Even the people behind these systems claim that they want to compete with the pc market.  And looking between the lines they do that because they think being a console is beneath them.

And with a computer you can do other things with it!  My computer that I made for gaming got me a JOB for 4 years.  In the modern age just about everybody needs a computer.  A computer can play games just like a console does, a console plays games but does not do a number of other tasks a computer can.  A console can't make a slideshow, or effectively do word processing, function as a soft phone, or run proprietary business software.

Console malware exists, just like they do for macs, and if you do get malware on your PC you have more tools to clean it without having to wipe everything back to a clean slate.  The only thing keeping consoles alive are games like smash bros or pokemon, and they know it.  And the moment someone creates a decent competitor for PC they may as well roll over and die. There's more than just copyright reasons why fangames of big console IPs get shut down so hard.  If you can play AM2R on PC, why would anyone play a metroid game on a console?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #114664 on: December 01, 2016, 11:06:28 am »

Ah, when I said 'Jesus existed,' I meant 'there are historical records of a guy claiming to be the son of the Abrahamic God who was crucified for this fact.' Whether or not he was the son of God is a different conversation entirely.
There are issues even with that. Take, for instance, the census whatsit that supposedly happened - no records, anywhere but in the Bible, of such a thing happening. Even mundane, nonmagical things appear to have been made up...
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #114665 on: December 01, 2016, 11:50:10 am »

@Consoles

If you can play AM2R on PC, why would anyone play a metroid game on a console?

What is AM2R

My game giveaway

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114666 on: December 01, 2016, 11:54:03 am »

@Consoles

What is AM2R

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM2R

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #114667 on: December 01, 2016, 11:56:29 am »

@Consoles

What is AM2R

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AM2R

If it was taken down, you can't exactly play it.

My game giveaway

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114668 on: December 01, 2016, 12:20:27 pm »

Yes a fan game, that was made better than nintendo's own remakes, by 1 person, with no previous programming experience.  Nominated for awards and given high praise by numerous publications.  Shut down by nintendo because they know their games showing up on PCs will kill their dying system.

They could have at least salvaged this by selling the game on their eshop and giving the creator a (trivial) cut.  But no.  Not only are they afraid of putting their games on a pc platform, console devs can no longer make games better than what one person with no experience can do, so they DMCA it to try to make sure no-one notices.  And that people don't know what AM2R is despite the amazing press it got, shows that they succeeded.

EDIT: That said I do like a good chunk of at least Nintendo's games. Smash Bros and Pokemon to name a couple.  And the nintendo switch, at least to me seems to be the right direction for consoles to go to stay alive if it ends up being what it's hyped to be.

But it's getting pretty clear to me that consoles are making a large number of mistakes if they want to stay relevant for anything but nostalgia.  Nintendo at the very least seems to be getting paranoid and sue happy if anything with anything connected to them shows up on a PC.  Hell you can practically just say the word 'Nintendo' on youtube and they'll put a monetization claim on your video, essentially spitting in the face of their own fans.  It's insane the levels of panicked flailing they are making against the pc market.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 12:37:19 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #114669 on: December 01, 2016, 12:44:24 pm »

Please, any major torrent site has AM2R on its servers, just grab it, or google how to find it v:
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114670 on: December 01, 2016, 12:55:37 pm »

@ConsolePeasantry: I own a PS4. Perks of working where I work. I got it for free for doing a "Sony Playstation Expert" suite of quizzes. (My PSN tag is MaxximumZer0.) I'm planning on buying my brother and dad a PS4 and a handful of games and accessories, and a handful of games for myself (and possibly a hard drive.)

I also have a powerful enough gaming PC, which is where I do most of my gaming anyway.

I always laugh a little when people tell me that consoles are dying or have x years to live, because that's frankly bullshit. I've been hearing the same tired "consoles are dying, PCMR FTW," lines for the last 25 years. Gaming is a several billion dollar industry and consoles are a huge portion of that. Consoles are easy and exclusives are a thing, and those two factors will always resonate with some people.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 12:59:00 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #114671 on: December 01, 2016, 12:56:46 pm »

PS4 is a good way for me to keep talking to my cousins.

One of them has Steam, and we don't really play the same games, so yeah.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114672 on: December 01, 2016, 01:02:52 pm »

Please, any major torrent site has AM2R on its servers, just grab it, or google how to find it v:
Oh yea, of course.  I have it. (Though I got it pre takedown instead of from a torrent).  And I'm going to stop ranting about it.  It just galls me. And I don't dislike anyone who plays consoles, I just figure if all these IPs and things would move onto PCs instead of having their own incompatible standards and systems then gaming in general would be better for it.  PCs just happen to be the most versatile place for everything to move to, and I'm hoping that within the next decade or so nintendo and sony and even microsoft oddly enough, will see that.

Probably doesn't help that my dentists appointment today went badly too (very strongly insisted I see an endodontist before I get the half broken tooth extracted, to the point where they are suggesting it so strongly I wouldn't want those particular dentists, to extract it anyway), so I'm in a bitter confrontational mood today.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled WTFs.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:05:38 pm by Greiger »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114673 on: December 01, 2016, 01:06:25 pm »

If it was taken down, you can't exactly play it.
Not if there's a torrent, especially a magnet type.  Could be hard to find though, unless it was on the official subreddit for the project or something (;

I'm kinda confused about consoles, too.  Older consoles I kinda get, but newer ones?  They're expensive and their gimmicks don't interest me, and as Grieger pointed out:
@Consoles
Consoles don't even know what their niche is anymore.  I remember the days where a console was good because you could just buy a game, put in the cart or disk, and play the frikking game on a console. 
Plus I am still completely astounded that people seem content to navigate virtual keyboards with thumbsticks.  First Person Shooters I can *almost* get, now that I understand about the various bizarre types of auto-aim...  But screw "typing" with those things.  It's absolutely ridiculous.  I guess the Wii sorta gets a pass on that... sorta... though point and click is still pretty bad.

I still love my PS2 but if I could get all my save games off the proprietary card, and use the proprietary controllers on my computer, then I wouldn't have to fiddle with monitor switching and slow bootups and I could timeskip the ridiculously long animations in Disgaea...  And I wouldn't have to worry about my 10-year-old game cds getting scratched...

And don't get me started on fucking Halo.  I didn't pay much for this 360, but I still regret it, because I'd rather have remembered Halo 2 and 3 as being fun.  What is the point... of thumbsticks... with massive fucking deadzones which make it impossible to finely adjust your aim.  I only ever liked these games because I was watching people play, and I revered the story because of Marathon.  'course then 4 and 5 happened so whatever... sorry, fanboy pain.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #114674 on: December 01, 2016, 01:35:30 pm »

I just realized that I didn't know what a graphics card was or what it did. I looked it up and...
It eats power to draw some more polygons? Wtf?

My game giveaway
Pages: 1 ... 7643 7644 [7645] 7646 7647 ... 10987