Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964209 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: nuking the Warp edition.
« Reply #645 on: May 14, 2015, 08:05:31 am »

I'd say it's probably less balanced now, since each wound gets a reanimation save when it's taken rather than as a lump sum at the end of the phase it's harder to kill Necrons now than before.

I didn't say it wasn't balanced in their favor.
It used to be that the entire rule went out the window if you killed their entire squad - So people would just kill entire squads.
Not great tactics, but it does end up shilling the per-point value of the necron troops.

Now, you tell me with a straight face that Eldar guardians all having Rending weapons isn't OP.
Came up against that today. They moved, ran, and shot point-blank into a bunch of terminators and floored them.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: May 14, 2015, 08:22:07 am »

I'd say it's probably less balanced now, since each wound gets a reanimation save when it's taken rather than as a lump sum at the end of the phase it's harder to kill Necrons now than before.

I didn't say it wasn't balanced in their favor.
It used to be that the entire rule went out the window if you killed their entire squad - So people would just kill entire squads.
Not great tactics, but it does end up shilling the per-point value of the necron troops.

Now, you tell me with a straight face that Eldar guardians all having Rending weapons isn't OP.
Came up against that today. They moved, ran, and shot point-blank into a bunch of terminators and floored them.

Terminators kinda suck anyway.

But yeah, the entire Eldar army having access to Rending is pretty stupid, it and the ease of getting plasma are why so few people use terminators these days. Feel no Pain is the new 2+ armour save.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 14, 2015, 08:33:44 am »

Giglamesh, the third sentence on that page says there are over 20 fully developed Septs. Not every Sept is the same size, and there are underdeveloped Septs. There's only about five dozen or so names planets in the Imperium that are any real sort of main focus, too; that doesn't mean those are the only planets. A Sept is to the Tau what a Subsector is to the Imperium.

Only reason I'm annoyed is because some of the things you're saying simply aren't true.

And this is leaving besides the fact that BL books aren't always considered great at being factual, since Last Chancers is a pretty good book if I remember. Although it's written from the Imperial side so odds are yes, they're going to paint the Tau in a more insignificant light.

Edit: In fact, on this page, it describes Septs as being systems directly settled by the Tau, and says they have around a hundred settled worlds. Yes, we know the Tau aren't mind-bogglingly huge like the Imperium. Nothing except the Tyranids and truly stupendous Ork WAAAGHs are. And on a massive galactic scale, they're insignificant, sure. Sorta. But there's a reason the Damocles Crusade was fought, and there's a reason the Tau managed to hold their ground.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 08:50:16 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: May 14, 2015, 09:11:11 am »

Maybe now with the advent of widely avaliable 3d printing, getting miniatures wont be such a hassle anymore :v

Of course games workshop wont be happy, and the material wont be as good for painting, but they're really expensive.

Altough finding a 3d printer with a super high resolution probably isn't easy.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:14:21 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 14, 2015, 09:18:08 am »

IF gw want to keep their heads they should go in first, equip their stores with 3d printers to sell freshly made figurines to the people from a larger catalogue, while also selling the blueprints over internet for people. Perhaps even endorse or sell some printers and materials with their seal of approval all the while going real over video games, instead of launching a myriad of crap.

Don't get me wrong, most warhammer and warhammer 40k games are good, some others are filthy heresy whom creators deserve nothing but the worst torments the warp has to offer (looking at you, storm of vengeance). But if they really want to make money out of it they need to push more and bigger. Total War Warhammer is a step on the right direction (I only lament CA was stupid enough to miss the opportunity to call it Total Warhammer).
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 14, 2015, 09:22:26 am »

Although finding a 3d printer with a super high resolution probably isn't easy.

Easy, sure. Expensive? $0000's.

Also totally missed the fanboyfight last page. Now I've got to read back through it so I can poke my nose in that particular business, call out everyone, and cement my place as the supreme encyclopaedia of the forum.[/sarc]

Here's a trickier one for the wikiphiles.
Who's stronger (Specifically with psychic abilities)? Malcador or Magnus?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 10:18:19 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 14, 2015, 10:35:05 am »

:v hard to say, Malcador did absurd things before melting on the golden throne, while magnus can also do said absurd things like moving whole planets with his mind and teleportation using the warp and stuff. Their powers are probably almost on the same level, altough magnus has the advantage of having primarch tier constitution while malcador was just a normal human apart from his absurd psyker powers, IE Magnus could probably withstand sitting in the golden throne for loooong periods of time without melting.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 14, 2015, 11:22:24 am »

Magnus inherited part of the Emperor's power as part of his genetic legacy, and learned some of his warp-craft at his feet.

Barring any other crazy revelations, Malcador is just a man. And what is a man, but a miserable pile of secrets? (Sorry couldn't help it.)

Malcador might be the strongest human psyker on record, but Magnus isn't human. So my vote would go for the Crimson King.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 14, 2015, 12:37:19 pm »

The latest Necron codex a month ago changed it to a 4+ or 5+ ward save (similar to FNP).
Less cool in fluff, but a bit more balanced on table.

Aw, they changed that? Ah well, what I mentioned was from their... third edition codex I think it is? It's what you see in the Dawn of War games still. They reform terminator style after they get destroyed, crawling back to their legs and reattaching them. I think one of the stories in the codex even mentioned melted Necrons reforming from a puddle of metal.

They have two methods. The first is their on site regeneration. Their second is that if you do manage to do a killing blow they just teleport back to the tomb where they regenerate more slowly, and if they cannot teleport for some reason... they self-destruct!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 14, 2015, 02:09:50 pm »

So all this talk of 40k has gotten me back into the fluff, which is still fun at times and still interesting for the most part. And, because of all that I feel like playing DoW again, but not 2, that one gets old fairly quickly. I wanna hope SS has been patched and modded to something decent by now, any of you folks happen to know more about it?

Or is DC still considered the last non-shit expansion?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: May 14, 2015, 02:10:24 pm »

As far as I know, DC is still where it's at.

(It may not have the graphics but, Chapter Master is IMO a far better 40k fix at this point than DoW.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 14, 2015, 02:29:05 pm »

Keep an eye on Firestorm over Kourvara (or whatever SS system it's called). They are going to release it soon. In fact there's a beta already. The same quality and lore respect than Firestorm over Kronus, but with more races.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 14, 2015, 03:46:18 pm »

Chapter Master would be fine and dandy but I'm not hankering for SM right now :P

And yeah, was thinking of the Firestorm mod, that one added a bunch of stuff for DC. I can't recall though, did it work with the campaign? I really wanna do something like that again. Also I really hope fliers are now fliers, not regular ground units whose models are kinda higher above ground.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 14, 2015, 04:01:45 pm »

"Flyers" are impossible to fix thanks to the way the game engine works. And no campaign, sorry. I actually enabled the campaign on DC and it was weird, had a lot of bugs, but was playable. Of course, depends on what you call playable.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 07:26:55 am by LordBaal »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 14, 2015, 04:05:43 pm »

For ss, check the ultimate appcalypse mod. You won't regret it.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 824