Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964403 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #2580 on: January 18, 2016, 02:28:24 pm »

Each transportation is done through literal hell, where : did anyone turn on gellar fields, uh i thought it was ur turn, dude - famous last words.
Yeah, no, that doesn't usually happen. Unless there is some really weird thing happening like "Ork Saboteurs", the Gellar field will be on. Warp travel is dangerous, but still safe enough to be used all the time by everyone.
There is a comissar whose job is to shoot in you.
His job is also keeping morale up, which means he is going to give your unit ice cream, hold contests and generally do everything you could consider morale officer job. They just get a lof of shit because they're also the judges and executioners when it comes to heresy and cowardice and whatnot.
You meet unspeakable shit. And just regular shit = feral orks, insane chaos dudes, who can corrupt ur soul body and mind.
And yet, you hold the damn line against said unspeakable shit because you're human and you should be proud of that.
Administratum clerk made mistake, so you have shipment of great crusade auxilia solaris pattern bayonets instead of food and ammo.
Or, like in case of that Valhallan regiment of Cain, you get double the supplies because Administratum made a mistake! YAY!
Life in army sucks in general, bc constant drills.
Life in far future sucks in general, life in army sucks a little less.
Unlike tau or any other race you have to pray to your guns, so they even shoot
Kind of bullshit, we had talks about machine spirits before.
Tech support are nerds in red robes speaking in binary
They still get shit done, though.
Your regiment may deploy 19 th century tactics  along with using blue bright uniforms with white caps
And you look glamorous while doing it. Also, arguably, you can also do other stuff, most Mordian art when they're in combat is regular combat art. One actually involves them running out of a Chimera, and I'm pretty damn sure they didin't have APCs in XIXth century.
I thought they neutered POW's before they freed them.
AFAIK, they didin't free the POWs, they cut the balls and dicks of any human that agreed to become part of Greater Good and then had second thoughts.
Based on the Dawn of War series, how they sterilized large portions of the human population that had been restless and rebellious for many years now and had just supported an Imperial attempt to reclaim the planet? I mean, honestly. Sterilized is better than killed.
I'd rather die than be used as an enunch slave by alien race with superiority complex that claims to be better and whatnot but in reality still uses caste system.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2581 on: January 18, 2016, 02:31:32 pm »

Based on the Dawn of War series, how they sterilized large portions of the human population that had been restless and rebellious for many years now and had just supported an Imperial attempt to reclaim the planet? I mean, honestly. Sterilized is better than killed.
Sterilized, "reeducated," subjugated? That which robs me of who I am but leaves me a living shell is an enemy for whom I would wish my executioner, not master

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: January 18, 2016, 02:41:52 pm »

I see a lot of heresy in this thread....

sprinkled chariot and Rolepgeek report to the nearest Imperial Re-education Centre at once.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: January 18, 2016, 02:51:41 pm »

Damn straight, LordBaal! You seem like you know the plan.
Screw heretics. Worship the great architect like true loyalists.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: January 18, 2016, 03:23:25 pm »

Friendly reminder that 'in-universe' banter is ok, but do keep things friendly and remember it's all just a silly spess game in the end. Before the Tau or whatever debate becomes personal again.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2585 on: January 18, 2016, 03:24:49 pm »

B-but... Warhammer is serious bsns!
Also betraying your own race is too!
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2586 on: January 18, 2016, 03:25:25 pm »

Friendly reminder that 'in-universe' banter is ok, but do keep things friendly and remember it's all just a silly spess game in the end. Before the Tau or whatever debate becomes personal again.
Somebody get this blueberry out of here

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: January 18, 2016, 03:33:43 pm »

Damn right I do! For the Emperor!

Although in the lore, being a IG conscript is a rather miserable existence. However if that's a detriment or an improvement can greatly variate depending from where they took you and where you are going. If you live in the lower levels of a hive city on a polluted wasteland of a planet and you are recruited and took to reclaim a paradise planet from the hands of the savage natives that consider crossbows and gunpowder cutting edge technology (Dead on the Water reference), you could be in for a treat. Better pray the conquest take so long you actually live your whole live there and die before being diverted for another warzone.

If you come from a civilized world and are thrown against a chaos overrun world, tyranids, orks or anything more serious, well, not only you greatly downgraded your living standards (and span), you are pretty much fucked. The odds of living trough any of those horrors are slim at best. If you read source material you can see the alarming rate at which Imperium campaigns burn trough entire regiments, in wars that can drag for years, decades and centuries.

If you ever land on such a conflict, and seeing the need of more bodies everywhere, all IG regiments are bound to be assigned to such conflicts eventually, it's almost certain you'll die there. Even if you are lucky to survive the first day, the first week, first month or year, as the conflict drags the chances get slimmer. If you are lucky enough to survive, be it that the Imperium wins the war or loses and retreat you will be among the veterans, which are thrown head first against even tougher opponents (kind of what happens to Ciaphas Cain).

And all that is not taking into account that some commissars do have the murderous tendency of killing an awful lot of troops, or the stupidity of the stupid "Wardian" Grey Nights killing everyone that even heard about them, nevermind the troops actually fought with them.

Of course it is a coin toss, invariability in a setting so fucking huge, there's bound to be millions of imperial guards that actually make it until retirement and whatnot, but that's against bazillions upon bazillions of guys that do not make it.

And even when the warp travel is relatively safe, there are inherent dangers on those spaceships beyond the warp, with mutants and xenos horrors eating away careless crew and passengers from time to time on the darkest corners of the ship bowels.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 03:43:03 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: January 18, 2016, 03:36:42 pm »

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2589 on: January 18, 2016, 03:50:40 pm »

Although in the lore, being a IG conscript is a rather miserable existence. However if that's a detriment or an improvement can greatly variate depending from where they took you and where you are going. If you live in the lower levels of a hive city on a polluted wasteland of a planet and you are recruited and took to reclaim a paradise planet from the hands of the savage natives that consider crossbows and gunpowder cutting edge technology (Dead on the Water reference), you could be in for a treat. Better pray the conquest take so long you actually live your whole live there and die before being diverted for another warzone.
Or you get left there, because that is apparently what sometimes happens. I think it's one of few ways to leave Imperial Guard,, as in the whole regiment gets a planet to colonize for themselves. I don't remember the exact name of the practice, but eh.
If you come from a civilized world and are thrown against a chaos overrun world, tyranids, orks or anything more serious, well, not only you greatly downgraded your living standards (and span), you are pretty much fucked. The odds of living trough any of those horrors are slim at best. If you read source material you can see the alarming rate at which Imperium campaigns burn trough entire regiments, in wars that can drag for years, decades and centuries.

If you ever land on such a conflict, and seeing the need of more bodies everywhere, all IG regiments are bound to be assigned to such conflicts eventually, it's almost certain you'll die there. Even if you are lucky to survive the first day, the first week, first month or year, as the conflict drags the chances get slimmer. If you are lucky enough to survive, be it that the Imperium wins the war or loses and retreat you will be among the veterans, which are thrown head first against even tougher opponents (kind of what happens to Ciaphas Cain).
As far as I'm concerned, the life expectancy in combat is 15 hours. As 1d4chan puts it, "which is, if for 15 hours straight, still better than can be said for some 21st century militaries, like the average life expectancy of mechanized AT squad leader, 15 seconds into engagement". And some people are totally allowed to retire.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: January 18, 2016, 04:01:48 pm »

Necoho the Doubter

Description

The doubter and deceiver, Necoho is a bizarre patron for the disciples of Chaos for he is the God of Unbelief. In what is perhaps the greatest proof that nothing can escape the claws of Chaos, once, long ago, Necoho's power waxed unseen by the doctrine of the Imperial Truth, which denied the gods and thus strengthened Necoho. Around the birthplace of humanity and the nexus of his power, he gathered unseen and unknown, which suited one such as him just fine. It is said that Necoho's time of ascendancy was soon at hand before the Horus Heresy, and that the Four's corruption of the Corpse-Emperor's sons was not to deny him, but their own destruction and the hands of Necoho.

Domains

Atheism, Agnosticism, Paradox, Doubt, Distrust, Sarcasm, Iconoclasm, Irony.

Necoho, when he appears, does so in the guise of a short, slightly plump old human man, with a permanent expression of ironic amusement etched upon his face. Any who look upon the avatar of Necoho are struck with the absolute certainty of faithlessness in all things, from gods to love and even their own existence.

Greater Daemons

Absences are Not-Daemons, Uncreations, voids in the fabric of space and warp alike. Massless shifting holes of nothing, the form of an Absence is defined only by the reality surrounding them. Most often, an Absence's not-shape is identical to that of whatever living thing they have turned their attention to. They will meet with their counterpart and consume them, leaving only the endless emptiness behind as they take on the guise of another's form, and continue until all who stand against Necoho are returned to nonexistence. Among daemons, Absences are unique in that their connection to the psychic effect is reversed. A pariah, no matter how strong, only encourages them, while psykers of power can disrupt their nothing by calling up large amounts of warp energy.

Lesser Daemons

Un-Angels of Necoho are workers of inequity, destroyers of belief wherever they can find it. Appearing much like divine servants of the Emperor, Un-Angels are all flawed in one way or another that betrays their true nature. One may carry an aura of darkness instead of light, another's immaculate skin will break out into pits of writhing teeth and tongues, and so on. While suited to destroy mortals like all Daemons, Un-Angels summoned into the Materium usually focus more on demonstrating the powerlessness of the gods and the ultimate truth of Necoho. Some may come before a mortal in need, allowing them to believe the Emperor has answered their prayers, only to tell them that they have been forsaken and that their god died a mortal man thousands of years ago. Ironically, this is followed by covertly assisting the mortal to survive whatever fate has befallen them, but in such a way that they lose all hope that it was anything but chance or their own ability. Alive, but free from faith, the seeds of Necoho are planted.

Cults

The cults of Necoho are, as one might expect, strange things. They commit to no rituals and carry no creed beyond doubt. This doubt can take many forms beyond the doubt of gods, and so to do the cults. A popular solipsistic philosophy may be of Necoho, as may anti-corruption groups who doubt in the purity of their government. Some may, well informed by Un-Angels, attempt a false revival of the Imperial Truth or similar lines of thought in Necoho's name. Necoho cults may also take the form of a terminally cynical inner circle to a larger organization, those whom have become so addled with the doubt brought on by experience that they continue to work only from the most utter pragmatism. Even groups such as the Ecclesiarchy are not immune to this, but no matter what form a Necoho cult takes, it eventually makes its way to the same ultimate conclusion; There is no god, and his name is Necoho.

Mark

Though some among Necoho's followers claim he has a holy symbol, they also claim that it was that of the First God, long into the primordial past of the galaxy. When Necoho was born from the very first faithful prayer gone unanswered, he struck down the First God and destroyed his symbol, telling the would-be worshiper to go forth and destroy all which worshiped and would worship. This was the first and the last command ever given by Necoho to his "faithful". Despite this, some others claim that that the Mark of Necoho does exist, and that it grants the holder the power to see the lies within any truth, no matter how apparent.

Up next, another somewhat familiar face, though deprived of his many, many original children.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: January 18, 2016, 04:10:00 pm »

I'd rather die than be used as an enunch slave by alien race with superiority complex that claims to be better and whatnot but in reality still uses caste system.
Mm. What about if you were just a slave to a race with a superiority complex and fanaticism that claims to be better and whatnot but in reality still commits genocide and has an unofficial caste system?

I see a lot of heresy in this thread....

sprinkled chariot and Rolepgeek report to the nearest Imperial Re-education Centre at once.
But...gue'la, that would require me to move off-world. I think Friendly Aun's Learning Academy would be a great fit for you. You may have been mistaken in your estimation of who rules this planet.

Sterilized, "reeducated," subjugated? That which robs me of who I am but leaves me a living shell is an enemy for whom I would wish my executioner, not master
So your balls are who you are? Huh. Maybe I just place more value on life than you guys do. I mean, I think of 'sterilizing' as better than 'Exterminatus' or 'genocide the heretics', but apparently that's just me.

Probably helps that I don't think in terms of 'humans',  think in terms of 'people', by which I mean 'reasonable sentient beings'.

And Tau fit 'reasonable' significantly better than the average Imperial...well, I dunno about citizen, but basically anything higher rank than a prole.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #2592 on: January 18, 2016, 04:10:01 pm »

He seems to share a lot of things with Malal.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: January 18, 2016, 04:15:33 pm »

Damn straight, LordBaal! You seem like you know the plan.
Screw heretics. Worship the great architect like true loyalists.
Damn right I do! For the Emperor!

:D

THAT'S an inquisitor I could be friends with!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 04:18:46 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: January 19, 2016, 01:31:35 am »

Somebody get this blueberry out of here
Heh, you can check my other 40k thread to see my opinion on tau (spoiler alert: genestealers love them as appetisers)  :P

But seriously, there were problems with it in the past, and I'd like to see this thread stay unbanned for the foreseeable future.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 824