Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964457 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #3060 on: February 19, 2016, 04:14:59 pm »

What I don't understand is how there are pretty much no WH40K FPS'. You'd think it'd be a popular setting.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #3061 on: February 19, 2016, 04:17:38 pm »

Legal issues, iirc.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: February 19, 2016, 04:18:39 pm »

What I don't understand is how there are pretty much no WH40K FPS'. You'd think it'd be a popular setting.
40k is too silly to ever be a popular setting. You've got the Space Marines with their un-stylish armour and their over-sized pauldrons, the Imperial Guard with their shitty-looking lasguns, friggin Orks exist in friggin space... Yeah, 40k is just silly, which is why I was so resistant to getting into it for such a long time.

FPS is a genre that requires mainstream popularity and 40k just can't get it.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: February 19, 2016, 04:21:07 pm »

Does imperium have something japanese teisintai like? Like guardsmen with backpack full of explosives and meltashit and switch for booming them trained for charging enemy tanks, lances with explosive warheads for exploding enemy tanks with you, human guided torpedoes( with pilot inside), suicide trucks?

Some Rough Riders wield special lance weapons equipped with one shot tips, some explode like frag grenades, some have quickly burned out power fields, some have melta bombs built into them. I think there might have been a flame one, but I'm not sure anymore.

Suicide bomber units aren't really a thing in the Imperium, though some Penal Legions in the fluff do use suicide squads to tie up enemies in cqb then shell them with artillery. In general though most of that sort or role is performed by things like Arco-Flagellants, augmented and brain washed people with flails implanted into the remains of their arms that go berserk on command and fight until either they or their enemy is dead.

Human guided torpedoes, not exactly. There are missiles that contain a servitor to keep them on target, but servitors aren't really human anymore, given the lobotomy and augmentation.

Suicide trucks is a no to my knowledge. The Imperium considers technology far too important to waste trucks on suicide bombing runs. There are a lot of Imperial Guard forces that basically tank rush enemy positions with flamethrower/toxin sprayer tanks that do blow up on occasion, but that's not really the intent behind them.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: February 19, 2016, 04:26:16 pm »

40k is too silly to ever be a popular setting. You've got the Space Marines with their un-stylish armour and their over-sized pauldrons, the Imperial Guard with their shitty-looking lasguns, friggin Orks exist in friggin space... Yeah, 40k is just silly, which is why I was so resistant to getting into it for such a long time.

FPS is a genre that requires mainstream popularity and 40k just can't get it.
I think the fanbase is big enough that any game set in it sells decently. And honestly, I'm kind of cool with how silly everything is? Space marines aside, a lot of the silliness is also kind of badass. Look at the Imperial Guard: Their outfits are kind of cool, they have commissars with silly hats, and literally any vehicle they own is so stupid looking yet so goddamn cool that it gets by. Orks are also saved by the fact that 1) they're fucking hilarious 2) Their vehicles scratch the mad-max sort of itch for very broken, scrappy sorts of things.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: February 19, 2016, 04:29:54 pm »

There's... From what I can tell, not that many? There's Dawn Of War and all its expansions, there's DoW2 and all ITS expansions...
There's Fire Warrior, and Space Hulk... Deathwatch? Uhhhh... Oh, that fairly okay Third Person Shooter one called Space marine...
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: February 19, 2016, 04:40:31 pm »

Hmm, your right.

https://www.google.com/search?espv=2&rlz=1caacag_enus616us616&q=wh40k+games&oq=wh40k+games&gs_l=serp.3..0i7i30j0j0i7i30j0j0i30j0i5i30l2j0i7i5i30j0i8i30l2.11566.11743.0.11960.2.2.0.0.0.0.119.201.1j1.2.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..0.2.199.5arym-gitqa&safe=active&ssui=on

DoW, DoW2, Space Marine, Fire Warrior, Dark Millennium, Squad Command, Rites of War, Carnage, Space Hulk, and Space Hulk expansion.

10. Not as many as I thought. But 10's still a lot.

Google sucks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_40,000_video_games

Wikipedia! 26!

Considering how old the property is it's actually surprisingly few.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: February 19, 2016, 04:42:45 pm »

And honestly, I'm kind of cool with how silly everything is? Space marines aside, a lot of the silliness is also kind of badass. Look at the Imperial Guard: Their outfits are kind of cool, they have commissars with silly hats, and literally any vehicle they own is so stupid looking yet so goddamn cool that it gets by. Orks are also saved by the fact that 1) they're fucking hilarious 2) Their vehicles scratch the mad-max sort of itch for very broken, scrappy sorts of things.
You might be cool with how silly everything is (a lot of people are), but that's not the point. The point is that most people aren't and that's why 40k will never become mainstream.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3068 on: February 19, 2016, 04:55:47 pm »

And honestly, I'm kind of cool with how silly everything is? Space marines aside, a lot of the silliness is also kind of badass. Look at the Imperial Guard: Their outfits are kind of cool, they have commissars with silly hats, and literally any vehicle they own is so stupid looking yet so goddamn cool that it gets by. Orks are also saved by the fact that 1) they're fucking hilarious 2) Their vehicles scratch the mad-max sort of itch for very broken, scrappy sorts of things.
You might be cool with how silly everything is (a lot of people are), but that's not the point. The point is that most people aren't and that's why 40k will never become mainstream.
Comic books are silly as fuck and they're as mainstream as toast right now

20 years from now you will see children screaming CREEEEEEEEEEEED in the streets

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: February 19, 2016, 05:46:40 pm »

40K is pretty mainstream as far as nerd things go.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: February 19, 2016, 05:58:07 pm »

Wait, how did Orks get through space again?

Warp travel, provided either by looting Imperial Navy warp engines, or cramming a bunch of scrap around a bunch of dead Weirdboyz' brains. That seems to work.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: February 19, 2016, 06:01:41 pm »

I think they also sometimes hitch rides on Space Hulks.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3072 on: February 19, 2016, 06:04:08 pm »

Not yet big bang theory though

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: February 19, 2016, 06:30:56 pm »

I think they also sometimes hitch rides on Space Hulks.

They do more than hitch rides on them, they strap huge ass rockets to them and try to ram the first planet they find with them.  :P

Orks use just about anything they can strap engines to as a spacecraft, and have a few different ways of traveling through the Warp. Unlike humans they don't usually bother with any kind of Geller Field since they're highly resistant to the mind melting effects of the Warp and consider the Daemon attacks that result as fun, so they can just use anything that lets them tear a hole in reality to cross into Warpspace and back. Some Ork spacecraft are built on planets and launched into space, usually devastating the land for hundred of miles around from the jets, some are built in space using orbital platforms, some are just asteroids they hollow out into a spaceborne fortress with engines. Some Orks have probably teleported between worlds at some point, though teleportation is meant to be a newish piece of tech for them, and teleportation is usually short ranged in 40k.

Ork spores can also survive in space for quite a long time, and can survive entering a planet's atmosphere, so occasionally an infestation starts because a spore discharged into the void got lucky and landed on a planet, which is technically another option for them to travel through space.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: February 19, 2016, 06:38:14 pm »

Not yet big bang theory though
>nerd thing
ahahahahahaha
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 824