Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964325 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: Disorder Vacuum Seamen.
« Reply #4590 on: June 30, 2016, 09:49:44 am »

I think all chaos primarchs, as unplayables, are supposed to gently push us away from liking them.

That being said, thumbs up Mortarion.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: June 30, 2016, 09:51:03 am »

Are there characters, units, and vehicles in the Warhammer universe that are "too powerful to use"? I mean outside bringing ships to the ground combat (which would just be silly)

I believe the Emperor would probably

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: June 30, 2016, 10:00:49 am »

Are there characters, units, and vehicles in the Warhammer universe that are "too powerful to use"? I mean outside bringing ships to the ground combat (which would just be silly)

I believe the Emperor would probably

There are weapons people are hesitant to use, but most have been used at least once.

The Necrons have a weapon that harvests solar energy to destroy worlds. The Imperium has weapons that open Warp rifts. Chaos has rites and powers that can create Daemon worlds in mere weeks. The Dark Eldar have manual control over multiple stars and can focus them onto any location within the Webway, and possibly beyond. All have been used but only sparingly.

In general no weapon is too powerful to use, but they may be useful only in desperate situations or on occasions where the fight has already been won.

The strongest single weapon I can think of was an Astropathic chain perils unleashed by a Night Lords warband. They tormented people and let their suffering be absorbed by dozens of low grade telepaths until they were fit to burst from mental anguish, then had them killed by a Navigator's eye. The horrific pain unleashed into the Warp caused every Astropath in range to suffer psychic overload, causing them to open daemonic rifts, suffer comas and strokes and cause mass destruction as well as bouncing the signal to the next Astropath in range. Multiple worlds were cast into discord as daemons ran rampant and communications were cut off by the loss of Astropaths and ensuing Warp Storms.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: June 30, 2016, 10:01:03 am »

Obligatory "super-heavies should go back to Apoc" rant.

But for the most part nothing is "too powerful" as long as you scale up the game adequately.
That being said, I don't see it likely that they would make fieldable models for the big four, no.

Emps is unlikely but plausible for HH for those who wish to re-create the Horus showdown, but considering the fluffwise difference between their power, I dunno.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: June 30, 2016, 10:06:48 am »

Sorry I mean "too powerful to use in the tabletop game"

I know that there are PLENTY of units that will probably never grace the Tabletop game because they are too weak or too specific (Tribal Orcs, Deep Ones and Hybrids)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4595 on: June 30, 2016, 10:08:31 am »

On regular tabletop there are few things, like Emperor-Class Titan. Technically there are rules for it but no miniatures, as standing on the battlefield in a suit of armour would be easier, it costs more points than a good sized army, but if you somehow manage to get one on tabletop, it's capable of wiping out ten times it's worth in single turn.

The only thing in fluff too powerful to use would be weaponizing God Emperor of Mankind.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: June 30, 2016, 10:10:40 am »

Well what about the Orc and Chaos Gods? (well to admit I don't know if the Chaos gods have a body)

Ok I will ask... If the Demons and Chaos are on the same side outright.

Why are they entirely different factions in the tabletop? (then again I think... the tabletop doesn't discriminate?) Is there more to it?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 10:16:49 am by Neonivek »

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: June 30, 2016, 10:15:29 am »

I always thought, that Horus managed to achieve anything in combat against emperor only because, the emperor tried to reason with Horus, when emperor began using his powers, Horus sort of just vanished from the existance, despite being primarch empowered by all four chaos gods.

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: June 30, 2016, 10:20:40 am »

Well what about the Orc and Chaos Gods? (well to admit I don't know if the Chaos gods have a body)

Why are they entirely different factions in the tabletop? (then again I think... the tabletop doesn't discriminate?) Is there more to it?
Daemons are still daemons. They'll kill/possess/eat you if they think it will benefit them. They honestly don't really care about humans that don't serve their purpose. In the grim darkness of the far future, everybody is a greedy jerk.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: June 30, 2016, 10:25:30 am »

On regular tabletop there are few things, like Emperor-Class Titan. Technically there are rules for it but no miniatures, as standing on the battlefield in a suit of armour would be easier, it costs more points than a good sized army, but if you somehow manage to get one on tabletop, it's capable of wiping out ten times it's worth in single turn.
Just imagining some weeb standing on a table in knight's armor shooting finger guns at figurines.
The Chaos Gods could never manifest in realspace. No body could hold them, no amount of sacrifices would be good enough, and even if all that worked they are the stuff of the warp. A good-sized daemon incursion can pull entire planets into the warp, the gods would do so easily.

The closest they've ever gotten was indwelling Horus as the Avatar of Chaos, and much like every other faction those glory days are long over.

Different levels. Daemons have a hard time existing in the real world at all, and they only show up when shit gets really crazy. You can have a massive Chaos incursion with very few or no manifested daemons, they're just too different.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: June 30, 2016, 10:26:08 am »

So basically there is a lot of infighting amongst all these groups.

Also incase anyone is wondering I am incredibly biased and love the Necron.

Would the Necron have any reason to infight?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: June 30, 2016, 10:30:44 am »

@Neonivek

Chaos is generally Chaos Space Marines, while Demons is chaos demons (I think there's only Khorne Daemonkin right now). They're battle brothers, just not the same faction. It's like how the Imperium isn't a single faction.

The current chaos armies with rules are Chaos Space Marines, Chaos Daemons, Khorne Daemonkin and Renegades & Heretics.

Chaos Space Marines is supposed to represent the Legions and warbands of the fallen marines specifically.

Chaos Daemons is the army containing the daemons of all four gods and is used for armies themed on daemonic incursions.

Khorne Daemonkin is for Khorne religious fanatics. The ones who seek to die in the name of calling his daemonic forces into battle.

Renegades and Heretics is the normal humans and mutants fallen to heresy and damnation, serving the dark gods with little to no hope of ever gaining their attentions.

Each army is separate but all can ally with each other as Battle Brothers the way the Imperium can. Chaos Daemons units cannot join or be joined by other units though because of a rules conflict with how they respond to damage compared to the other armies. Daemonkin units do not have this problem.

So basically there is a lot of infighting amongst all these groups.

Also incase anyone is wondering I am incredibly biased and love the Necron.

Would the Necron have any reason to infight?

Yes, the Necrons fight each other over dynastic rivalries thousands of years old, over territory and over more modern slights and grudges. Each dynasty has different goals from the others and this often puts them at odds.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: June 30, 2016, 10:34:43 am »

The Necrons also fight because a good deal of them are totally insane, in a myriad of ways. Some even think they're still fighting the war against the C'tan.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #4603 on: June 30, 2016, 10:59:03 am »

Just imagining some weeb standing on a table in knight's armor shooting finger guns at figurines.
Well, actually it's not that big. This is an Emperor Class in regular Wh40k scale (I think). It's not the size of a human, but it's over half the size of grown man. That is fucking insane, just look at the base plate.

EDIT:
Someone should make an Wh40k movie starring Peter Dinklage as Emperor-Class Battle Titan running around the tabletop.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 11:00:37 am by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: June 30, 2016, 11:14:34 am »

The Room of 40k films, if you will.

Speaking of 40k films, it really strikes me how idiotic people who try to make franchise films must be, that they make things like Ratchet and Clank or Warcraft movies that can't possibly have a good narrative when there are settings like 40k out there. A Triple-A 40K film could be set anywhere in-universe, have a real plot, and not be shit.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 11:16:24 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 824