Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964442 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: You are what you eat, so eat your greens.
« Reply #5625 on: August 18, 2016, 06:10:27 am »

Andres' interpretation of the Necrons is just wrong. Pariahs do the exact same thing as Necron Pylons, except they're also humans.
Not according to Inquisitor Vail of the Ordo Xenos.
She clearly knows more about Necrons than Necrons themselves, huh?
And we're speaking about Amberley Vail, she literally uses archives for inter-Inquisitor propaganda and goes out of her way to hide her true weight... as in to hide that she's fat (she's not, but apparently belongs to "that kind of women").

But needed more stronk, possibly to create the Primarchs, and bargained with the Chaos Gods for power, convincing them he'd be his champion. But he altered the deal.
This makes no sense. The Emperor was on their same level and wouldn't have required any more power for the Primarchs' creation. He needed a buttload of time, ancient technological secrets, and the assistance of thousands of Terran scientists (this was before they were completely replaced by Martian Magi) to parse through his essence to actually work it, he didn't need more power. More power - especially given by the Chaos Gods - would've just made it more difficult to make the Primarchs
But... it happened. Read the Vengeful Spirit. And Alivia Sureka was not a heretic (well, the Inquisiton would say otherwise but so would they about basically everyone back during the Great Crusade) and even Big E trusted her, A LOT, since he tasked her with guarding the gate he went through to fuck over Chaos Gods so noone would do the same.

For ten thousand years he battles thenspeakable horrors with his sheer willpower and aid of ten thousands of glorious golden demigods in golden power armour.
He gifted to the universe legions of noble  warriors to abolish superstition with power of reason and SCIENCE and stop the horrific enemy from byond.
He personally  kicked the ass of most powerful ctan to give mankind superior technology.

Meanwhile some ignorant puny blue men unable to appreciate, what he is doing, think, that he is just superstition, and they have any meaning in the grand scheme of things.
POE'S LAW, POE'S LAW, POE'S LAW, ARGHHHHHHHHHH...
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: August 18, 2016, 07:13:36 am »

Ok, this is totally irrelevant but as far as I'm aware, Amberly Vail is canon bangin'.
Lithe and shit I mean.

As for where vail says pariahs use the warp- or even where Jurgem uses the warp, quote pls, 'cos I can't remember it and the logic ism' checking out.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: August 18, 2016, 07:19:52 am »

But... it happened. Read the Vengeful Spirit. And Alivia Sureka was not a heretic (well, the Inquisiton would say otherwise but so would they about basically everyone back during the Great Crusade) and even Big E trusted her, A LOT, since he tasked her with guarding the gate he went through to fuck over Chaos Gods so noone would do the same.
You really need to parse through the bullshit from the facts, otherwise you get things like the Khornate Knights, a small space lantern attracting the Tyranids instead of the giant blinding light of the Astronomican, and shapeshifting psykers protected by a Tzeentchian cult being treated as the Emperor's children rather than just common Tzeentch sorcerers.

As for where vail says pariahs use the warp- or even where Jurgem uses the warp, quote pls, 'cos I can't remember it and the logic ism' checking out.
Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium. Page 455. "To my relief, however, they seemed to become mildly disorientated every time they approached our hiding place, veering off before they had come within a handful of metres of us, a deliverance I could only attribute to Jurgen's peculiar qualities.1"

"1. Perhaps correctly. The aura of terror projected by necron pariahs appears to be at least partly a psychic phenomenon, so it's quite reasonable to assume that a blank would repel them and mask the effect. However, since no other record exists of a blank coming into such close proximity to a group of pariahs, and they're far too rare and valuable to risk in deliberately testing this hypothesis, it must remain conjectural."

EDIT: Can I ask why you and Kot are both beard-wearing oranges?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: August 18, 2016, 08:16:52 am »

It is beyond your mortal comprehension.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: August 18, 2016, 09:56:33 am »

They wear it in honor of their spiritual liege.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #5630 on: August 18, 2016, 10:00:10 am »

You really need to parse through the bullshit from the facts, otherwise you get things like the Khornate Knights, a small space lantern attracting the Tyranids instead of the giant blinding light of the Astronomican, and shapeshifting psykers protected by a Tzeentchian cult being treated as the Emperor's children rather than just common Tzeentch sorcerers.
Or stupid Inquisitors talking about shit they don't understand and claiming it's true.

Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium. Page 455. "To my relief, however, they seemed to become mildly disorientated every time they approached our hiding place, veering off before they had come within a handful of metres of us, a deliverance I could only attribute to Jurgen's peculiar qualities.1"

"1. Perhaps correctly. The aura of terror projected by necron pariahs appears to be at least partly a psychic phenomenon, so it's quite reasonable to assume that a blank would repel them and mask the effect. However, since no other record exists of a blank coming into such close proximity to a group of pariahs, and they're far too rare and valuable to risk in deliberately testing this hypothesis, it must remain conjectural."
That's kind of stupid honestly, but TECHNICALLY she's not very wrong. The "aura of terror" is a psychic phenomenon, simply because it's due to their lack of presence in Warp which causes (no matter what is projecting it, be it Necron Pariah or human Blank) discomfort, hostility, fear and even pain in most beings - Jurgen being an exception because he's a Blank himself and theoretically the rest of band because they got adapted to that stuff by being close to Jurgen for quite a while before (not saying that they are fully immune but the initial shock didin't happen because they were already in the souless field generated by him).
The disorientation is harder to explain but I guess that Pariahs, as beings created to fuck Psykers up, could have some kind of Necron technology that let's them detect souls, so coming across empty field similar to theirs proably made them think that there is another Pariah there (obviously active) and thus the place counts as checked and stuff.

EDIT: Can I ask why you and Kot are both beard-wearing oranges?
For Our Spiritual Liege and Emperor, obviously.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: August 18, 2016, 10:33:42 am »

I always explained Jurgen's hobo-like qualities as a kind of joint defence/pacification mechanism. It's like this: when you enter his area of effect, you're able to rationalize the instinctive distaste that you feel using the fact that Jurgen stinks like a dead skunk. Which leads you away from the thought that just maybe, you feel uneasy because there's something off about him. In a way, he's using his physical odor to mask his psychic odor, or lack thereof.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: August 18, 2016, 11:20:11 am »

I always explained Jurgen's hobo-like qualities as a kind of joint defence/pacification mechanism. It's like this: when you enter his area of effect, you're able to rationalize the instinctive distaste that you feel using the fact that Jurgen stinks like a dead skunk. Which leads you away from the thought that just maybe, you feel uneasy because there's something off about him. In a way, he's using his physical odor to mask his psychic odor, or lack thereof.

I think it's explained at some point that he's not aware enough of his nature or cunning enough in general to do so deliberately. He's just a rather gross person who also happens to be a Blank, though I suspect being a Blank and the associated tendency to be sociopathic, non-emotional, etcetera etcetera, may have contributed to his indifference to hygiene.

EDIT: Also, I don't think I've shared this on here yet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a Tyranid Broodlord with Scything Talons I converted and painted for my brother.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 11:22:20 am by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: August 18, 2016, 12:32:27 pm »

It's no more bullshit than clinging to nearly retconned 25 year old lore Andres.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: August 18, 2016, 12:49:09 pm »

Wasn't Cain set in m42/3 and therefore non canonical ?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: August 18, 2016, 03:22:11 pm »

EDIT: Also, I don't think I've shared this on here yet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a Tyranid Broodlord with Scything Talons I converted and painted for my brother.

That purple is bloody awesome.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: August 18, 2016, 03:29:10 pm »

Well, we could try really hard to parse it as "they are used to Jurgen's aura, so the stronger pariah aura is merely unsettling"
Plus "they hunt warp-positive creatures, so would instinctually not seek out other nulls"
Takes some kicking but I can make my headcanon fit. Vail and Cain clearly just didn't have all the info, much like most of the imperium.

Edit: Thanks for digging it up, though. Turns out that's the one Alex Stewart book I've yet to read.

Can I ask why you and Kot are both beard-wearing oranges?
A famous forumite with this avatar recently got banned and so I am in mourning.
This counts as mourning.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 03:32:11 pm by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: August 18, 2016, 03:33:08 pm »

The most internally consistent explanation would be 'Pariahs do not exist and never did, any story involving them was a misinterpretation or propaganda.'
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: August 18, 2016, 03:57:40 pm »

Yes but that's what GW wants and therefore for no other reason will be fought tirelessly.

Need I remind that Kroot DNA appropriation is also now non-canon?
It was basically the only cool thing about them.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: August 18, 2016, 04:01:28 pm »

Yes but that's what GW wants and therefore for no other reason will be fought tirelessly.

Need I remind that Kroot DNA appropriation is also now non-canon?
It was basically the only cool thing about them.
Wait, what? What did they change it to?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 824