Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964521 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40K discussion thread: You are what you eat, so eat your greens.
« Reply #6300 on: September 05, 2016, 04:32:31 pm »

Are they really gods in a classical sense, or just simply the most powerful beings of another dimension indirectly connected to ours, with seemingly unlimited power? I seem to incline for the latter. After all they were created and or nurtured by actions on this side of reality instead of being the other way around.

The concept of God as described by most theologians includes the attributes of omniscience (infinite knowledge), omnipotence (unlimited power), omnipresence (present everywhere), divine simplicity, and as having an eternal and necessary existence.
Maybe not gods, but certainly more godlike than the emperor.
God vs. gods. They are very different things. By that definition, the Greek gods would not count as gods.

They are most certainly gods in the classical sense of the word. Not the renaissance sense of the word, though.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: September 05, 2016, 05:17:15 pm »

Capital G-god isn't a purely abrahamic concept, but anyway, as far as anyone knows, there's no capital G god in any of the warhammer universes. There are beings which assume the role of classical gods (when you say classical, I assume you mean classical greece, IE polytheism, with no god actualy being a supreme being). The chaos gods are prob the most god-like beings in warhammer since they're the only gods which haven't been purposely created (like the Eldar pantheon, crafted by the eldar at the height of their power or somesuch) or ascended mortal beings (IE sigmar, emprah, the old ones, etc). The C'tan, while supposedly as old as the universe itself, clearly don't count as gods (beaten by the old ones, no actual soul, started as mindless dweeb clouds of cosmic gas, etc).

Me wonders what would happen if the Q from star trek decided to take a peek into 40k's universe. They'd prob run away since they're prob only old one tier powerful or something.

This also reminds me of one of my favorite fan theories on the 'nids: that they're actualy krorks 2.0, created by the few old ones that managed to escape the galaxy and sent the nids to clear out everything in their old galaxy, including the chaos gods, so they can start anew after turning the nids off. Hell, maybe the tyranid hivemind IS what became of the surviving old ones :U
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 05:28:40 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: September 05, 2016, 05:36:33 pm »

...What?

No, the Eldar gods were not created by the Eldar. They were gods just as much as the Chaos gods.

And the C'tan are totally Star Gods. The Chaos gods started as mindless amalgams of emotions.

Ork gods are also gods, except that they don't really exist yet/anymore.

Which reminds me: Kroot+Ork=Krork
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: September 05, 2016, 05:41:36 pm »

Capital G-god isn't a purely abrahamic concept, but anyway, as far as anyone knows

No, but I do loathe it when people mix up the two.

"Ohh you can't kill Zues he is a god, that means he is all powerful!"

Me: "No... He has a very specific level of power quite a few levels bellow all powerful"

"That makes no sense he is a god!"

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: September 05, 2016, 06:03:03 pm »

The Chaos Gods are actually a few steps above most polytheistic deities in power really. Gods like Zeus or Thor could be harmed/killed by mundane things like swords and arrows, they just happened to be very powerful despite having the same organs and vulnerabilities (generally) as mortals. The Chaos Gods don't even have a true anatomy, so there's no throat to slit, or to use Zeus as an example, no tendons to cut.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: September 05, 2016, 06:12:14 pm »

The Chaos Gods are actually a few steps above most polytheistic deities in power really. Gods like Zeus or Thor could be harmed/killed by mundane things like swords and arrows, they just happened to be very powerful despite having the same organs and vulnerabilities (generally) as mortals. The Chaos Gods don't even have a true anatomy, so there's no throat to slit, or to use Zeus as an example, no tendons to cut.

Thor definitely. The Norse gods are some of the weakest in all pantheons.

Zeus not exactly, you would have to do significant damage to even slow him down (and that is ignoring that it takes a LOT to even do damage to him period) and no mortal could set up a situation that could reasonably kill Zeus... but I get your point.

The Greek gods were extremely hearty. Only a lesser god in that pantheon would die to an arrow shot by a mortal.

---

Though "Power" and defense are two different things.

Though there are polytheistic gods I can think of who would be a match for the Chaos gods without giving them upgrades for setting.

Also no I am not including the Lovecraftian gods in this scenario. They are immaterial gods who manifest physically... and their power is very... Odd all things considered. What with one of the lovecraftian gods being Time and Space itself.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:21:31 pm by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: September 05, 2016, 06:20:48 pm »

Still got Iron Druid stuff in my head, thinking that greek gods are all immortal.
Like, able to be killed, but only temporarily.

Something something hercules movie, ribbon of fate.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: September 05, 2016, 06:22:23 pm »

Eh, Ares could be wounded by mortal blades, and usually fled when so wounded, and Zeus was once trapped in cave when Typhon cut the tendons in his ankles and hung him from the ceiling. I'd say the Greek gods weren't hard to hurt as much as it was hard to finish them off. Though to my knowledge no god from those myths ever actually died, so it's possible they could never actually be killed, merely crippled to the point of being powerless.

Though that was a trait of some of the monsters of the Greeks as well. Typhon once again being a good example since he could only be stopped by being crushed under a mountain, and that didn't kill him, just imprison him. Though as a child of Gaia he could be argued to be a god himself.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: September 05, 2016, 06:22:27 pm »

Brahma would pretty arbitrarily wreck the chaos gods and the big E, most of the other Vedic/Brahmin gods could as well.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: September 05, 2016, 06:24:48 pm »

I'm pretty sure the Greek definition of godhood was reducible to complete immortality, yeah.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: September 05, 2016, 06:31:14 pm »

The old Irish pantheon tended to kill the shit out of eachother too.
But that's probably because they were all just faeries with illusions of grandeur.

Not sure about the Celtic ones. Asterix and Obelix did not give me a good grounding.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: September 05, 2016, 06:33:46 pm »

Given that Brahma is the creative aspect of the supreme hindu deity, he could just push them into unexistence or something. The core hindu supreme deity is existence itself, which manifests as brahma, vishnu and shiva. The chaos gods are just a bunch of dweebs who barely even control a single galaxy, while brahma is universal.
Hell, might as well just imagine shiva stomping khorne with one of his thumbs.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 06:36:24 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: September 05, 2016, 06:41:02 pm »

Brahma would pretty arbitrarily wreck the chaos gods and the big E, most of the other Vedic/Brahmin gods could as well.
Hindu combines singular all-powerful god with bunch of individual, not all-powerful gods. It's very confusing to me, not being raised in it. All the gods are aspects of Brahma or something.

Plus those gods had holy weapons that amounted to ICBMs. Like, almost literally. Arrows that split into many arrows and destroyed whatever they touched and all the space around, and struck terror and sadness into the hearts even of other gods.

And considering Hindu is the oldest religion still around...who knows, maybe the tiny percentage chance that however many thousands of years ago we've already gone through the whole 'nuclear war destroys surface of planet thing' is true.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: September 05, 2016, 06:48:21 pm »

Nah, that's not the legend of nuclear war. That's the legend of kinetic orbital strikes.

Because aliens are all bastards.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: September 05, 2016, 06:49:34 pm »

Because aliens are all bastards.
Unless the aliens were us.

What if we started a civil war. Got bombed for it.
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 824