Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964495 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could probably get close enough to it that your Gellar Field envelops it and encloses it in your realspace bubble. Wouldn't be safe to explore the derelict by any means, it would still be infested by warp taint, but the majority of daemons still wandering it would be driven out by the Gellar Field.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Depends on the local conditions. Matter can exist just fine in the warp, so yes, a ship can be there and contain loot. Typically people only bother with space hulks, due to their size.

As for exposure? It's never a good idea to look upon the warp, but then, it's never a good idea to use warp travel anyway. Something bad won't necessarily happen. The above gellar field plan is probably the way to go.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

But then Tzeentch turns into a viper.
JUST AS PLANNED.
But then Cegorach arrives and traps Tzeentch in the stocking.
JUST AS PLANNED.

But then The Deceiver arrives and makes Tzeentch viper bite Cegorach.
JUST AS PLANNED.

BUT THEN EMPEROR ARRIVES AND CRUSHES CEGORACH, THE DECEIVER AND TZZENTCH VIPER REMOVING THEM FROM EXISTENCE!
JUST AS PLANNED.

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

Emperor confirmed for batman?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile

Monkeigh is just insulting, we're clearly Preighmeights
Pryma(t)erks?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

So in rogue trader warp encounters there is such thing as encountering derelict ship in warp and note, that it can contain valuable loot.

Can you even ... get outside the ship in the warp to loot it without getting nommed/ going insane?

Or was it just rule writer joking?

It's as the others explained. The general assumption is that any derelict vessel in the Warp has a semi-functional Geller Field preventing it from becoming Warp soup. So piloting your ship next to it and merging Geller Fields so you can explore it is legit as far as canon goes. (Has happened in more than a few novels.)

You could also probably concote some bullshit about a void-capable small transport ship with a functional Geller Field. But the point of those encounters is to put the ship at risk in the name of loot, because your pilot/navigator has to keep the ships together, the derelict ship could start to drift, its Geller Field could overload and take your ship's field down with it, etc....

I've yet to run this type of encounter in RT because my players are veteran enough that if you told them they could leave the ship to explore a derelict vessel in the Warp, they'd NOPE NOPE NOPE all the way to the nearest realspace translation point.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

I've yet to run this type of encounter in RT because my players are veteran enough that if you told them they could leave the ship to explore a derelict vessel in the Warp, they'd NOPE NOPE NOPE all the way to the nearest realspace translation point.
That's a good way to check if your game is grimdark enough, if it is, then your party actively tries to run away from the loot.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think most of them know 40k well enough to know that most rules are out the window and bets are off when you go gallivanting around the Warp. It's literally a GM's license to go "And now a Bloodthrister shows up." Or worse.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

"You begin coughing up teeth. Don't worry, they're not your teeth, they're far too small."
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

Thats actually the Entirety of Doomriders mechanics.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile

I think most of them know 40k well enough to know that most rules are out the window and bets are off when you go gallivanting around the Warp. It's literally a GM's license to go "And now a Bloodthrister shows up." Or worse.

"Just as planned." -- Nenjin GMing, probably.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tend towards not being cautious in RT and BC, though in Dark Heresy I am more sensible.

If I was playing a RT game and was told there was a warp derelict containing archeotech or something I'd drag half my gundeck crew onto the derelict with me to search it from top to bottom, daemons be damned.

I do tend to play dangerous mutants and heretics (and hereteks :P) though, so my general trend is towards power at any cost and risking my character's life is just another price to pay.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let's also not forget Corruption. You can tend to not hand it out very often because players tend to know not to pick up glowing black bolt guns and power armor and shit....but when you're bathing in Warp energy and seeing things man was not meant to see, it can be a more insidious threat than just maybe dying.

Particularly because most Corruption mutations suck ass from a power game perspective, and aesthetically a lot of them are undesirable too.

"Just as planned." -- Nenjin GMing, probably.

There are few places in the game where you really get a license to do stuff like that. So you gotta make your fun when can :P

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I'd want to psych them out at some point, give them shiny gold Chaos artifacts and glowing black lost relics of the Emperor.
No Gods, No Masters.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

I'd want to psych them out at some point, give them shiny gold Chaos artifacts and glowing black lost relics of the Emperor.
Might be easier to sell them as dark age tech instead of Emperor stuff. Big E likes his stuff gilded.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 514 515 [516] 517 518 ... 824