Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 963141 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
Re: WH40K thread: No Such Thing As A Free Bolter, But Heresy's Everywhere!
« Reply #9150 on: September 19, 2017, 06:53:09 pm »

Maybe some Necron got nostalgic and wanted to recreate the Necrontyr as they were before getting defleshed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9151 on: September 19, 2017, 06:55:27 pm »

Maybe some Necron got nostalgic and wanted to recreate the Necrontyr as they were before getting defleshed.
:O
This could be. There are some Necrons looking to create bodies to transfer their minds into and revive the original Necrontyr... Genuinely could be a nostalgic Necron who wants to be a short-lived techno soul again

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9152 on: September 19, 2017, 06:59:28 pm »

But they're terrible anti-chaos weapons. Imperial psykers were enough to disable most of their army during the Damocles Crusade. A bunch of White Scars were able to make them less effective fighters than guardsmen just by summoning a psychic fogbank that blinded all their sensors. When actual sorcerers get involved or the auxilaries start growing tentacles and screaming like banshees things go to pot because the Tau don't have any way to cope with warp shenanigans.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9153 on: September 19, 2017, 07:08:59 pm »

I should note that there's a small problem with the Old Ones as the Tau creators: Tau have blue blood. Every species known to have been created by the Old Ones has red blood.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9154 on: September 19, 2017, 07:09:40 pm »

But they're terrible anti-chaos weapons. Imperial psykers were enough to disable most of their army during the Damocles Crusade. A bunch of White Scars were able to make them less effective fighters than guardsmen just by summoning a psychic fogbank that blinded all their sensors. When actual sorcerers get involved or the auxilaries start growing tentacles and screaming like banshees things go to pot because the Tau don't have any way to cope with warp shenanigans.

Ahem.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9155 on: September 19, 2017, 07:27:06 pm »

Found the Dark Crusade one
I can also find links for the other lore, I'm pretty certain I've also shared the Tau makes friends with Slaaneshi at the end of a pulse rifle story somewhere in this thread before. Point being, Tau aren't the best anti-Chaos weapon, but they're a pretty good one. Their most basic unit is highly Chaos-resistant, and that is without factoring the whole group immunity of their Ethereals and societal structure.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Regarding to when high level Imperial Psykers and Chaos Sorcerers start getting involved, sure the Tau tend to suck, but you've got to give them credit in that they're fighting enemies that warp reality with conventional tactics and don't understand that their enemies are doing that yet. The Farsight ones show that they're still beginning to learn and adapt to this unusual foe, and despite their inexperience with dealing with warp entities - they remain effective weapons against them. All I'm saying is against Chaos Sorcerers and Imperial Psykers most things are fubard, so yeah Tau aren't as good as blanks, but they're also a whole species that has had a shocking total of 0 possessions in and outside of combat, and when their allies start growing tentacles they do their best to fall back and keep pew pewing lasers.

Found the blueberry encounter with Slaaneshi. Apparently it was from a white dwarf thing, and was put on the GW website until the great purging of their IP. Now few people will ever be able to find it.
Note that with 6 cadres the Tau managed to overcome the Slaaneshis and then began exterminating them all without any warp-effects falling upon them. Blueberries are certainly a step up from most of 40ks denizens when it comes to engaging warp entities outside of CQC. Within melee... Well, it's in the picture. Not so good

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #9156 on: September 20, 2017, 01:20:32 am »

To whoever said it (Kot i think?) why would the Tau be particularly chanceless? I thought it was the psychic-less species that were particularly defensible against Chaos. Although maybe my notion that the Tau don't psyke is just a misconception too?
They aren't psychic-less though, there is one case of Tau Fire Warrior being a Champion of Khorne. It's however mostly not a matter of "Chaos", it's mostly a matter of Tyranids, Imperium, Chaos, Necrons, etc. at the same time. Tau simply do not matter enough at the Galactic scale (there are minor races that are only mentioned few times in Canon that have domains bigger and are more powerful than Tau), unless they only exist for some "Just as planned reason", in which case it's still hard to fanthom them ever becoming really succesful. In the best case scenario (which assumes that Necrons and Tyranids do not exist, because while Imperium, Eldar, Chaos not murdering them could be justified, they literally lie in front of main Tyranid vector of attack on Galaxy, and Necrons want all living shit to die, so) for Tau they'd just replace Humans just like Humans replaced Eldar before, and then promptly get fucked due to developing psykers and so on.

Every faction is essentially fighting for survival, they just express it in different ways.
Exactly my point. If everyone is doing the same, whose motives are the "good" ones?

I mean, fuck, the motives of all of them aren't great either, but at least humanity fights for your own damn race goddamnit. For you.
I can respect that opinion, but at the same time the whole point of a fictional setting is that I'm not obligated to sympathize with the human faction because I myself have a human body.
Fair enough.

WHAOK humans aren't even the same species as me, they have psi genes and shit. Why should I sympathize with this particular alien species of furless apes just because they look mostly like me and are from a planet called terra? May as well say the Eldar are the good guys then, because they're basically humans too.
On outside. Internally their biology is fucking insane, and by insane I mean they're further away from you than you are to dinosaurs. WH40k humans are direct descendants of modern humanity from Earth (which, by the by, Terra is) with little to no mutations.

So muchos heresy con this thread... Only Kot makes the emperor happy! The rest of you prepare for reeducation camps!
Praise be.

Sorry to go in a diffrent direction, but  is that assuming that the ethereal's are actually....tau rather than some sort of warp based beings or something? I mean they came out of basically nowhere, right.
Xenology, which is oop, hinted towards the Eldar theory being true, the Eldar kidnapped a queen from a colony based species called Q'orl who used pheremones as part of their language to make an 'uncorroded swarm' after the Q'orl were infected by a warp plague and aided in finding a cure by the Eldar. A while later Ethereals popped up and took control of the tribal Tau. I personally doubt GW will go that route if they ever bother explaining it, linking the Tau to a race of bugs that have never appeared in any actual capacity beyond a single utility item in Dark Heresy just seems like a bad move likely to alienate Tau players, and Q'orl are too similar to Tyranids in core concept to be introduced into tabletop to get them established first

Eh, we don't really know. They probably aren't warp-based beings, as they have bodies made out of matter, and generally share the same trait, of having really little to do with Warp, with the rest of their species. They could be dropped off by some other race (Eldar? Necrons? Humans?), they could be pretty much Tau versions of Emperor. Most evidence really points to them being product of genetic engineering, since they share the same "mind-control" traits with a xenos race on the other side of Galaxy, with said xenos having half-recorded history, half-legends of "human-like" (which people take as either Humans or Eldars, but tbh, anything remotely humanoid would be "human-like", like Necrons, for Q'orl, as they are the local space bugs) creatures stealing one of their Queens for whatever reason.

Could you clarify what you mean by "we" humanity isn't a unified whole and quite a few societies try a great deal to distinguish guilt versus innocence.
Humanity as a whole. The fact you weren't part of Nazi regime or ain't related to Kim Jong Un doesn't make them different species, and heck, to most extent, most societies did a great deal of bad shit in their history, as world generally got better only in the last one-two hundred years or so.

I've heard it was Tzeentch. The fact that warp storms showed up just as humans were going to nuke the primitive Tau, storms that lasted several millenia and when they finally subsided, the Tau came out swinging under unified leadership, suggests some Chaos dickery.
That's the point. We have 0 idea, it could be Eldar, because >Eldar, it could be Necrons, since they probably needed a meatshield to at least soften up the initial Tyranid assault, it could be Deceiver, judging by some recent lore, who really says cryptic shit that might be related to Tau and their role in the Galaxy, could be Mechanicus loons, could be Chaos, could be (very unlikely and mostly meant as a joke, before you ask) Orks, since they seem to share some traits with The Beast era Orks. That's the point, evidence is lacking and sometimes contrary, though one thing is considered most likely - they didin't do it alone. They could have, but most probably didin't.

As far as I know the Tau do are resistant to warp corruption. Instead of hearing voices and stuff they don't hear anything or just static over the radio or something.

However there's a difference on that and being physically resistant to chaos. The line seems blurry and change depending on the author and such, but it seems chaos once manifested in reality can physically affect things. Ie a deamon stabbing a guard, but sorcery over living things (ie making guards levitate and explode) needs something to get a hold to, a flick of a soul or something and Tau just don't have enough or at all.

But of course lore chages and all I don't know if that's true anymore.
As I said, there was literal Tau champion of Khorne (the novelization of Fire Warrior game, which is actually very good book. Kais literally screaming "Blood for the Blood God!" helps to explain how the fuck single Fire Warrior got so deadly pretty well tho. Also, it's canon), so that's also not enterietly true. They are more resistant, but not fully.

I don't really see the Necrons being involved. Their AI tech isn't really all that great, canopteks are technologically advanced but are very far from intelligent, they mostly rely on necrodermis and phase tech to be much use at all, while simple Tau camera drones are borderline sapient. There's only one canon named Necron into fleshy stuff and Szeras doesn't seem the type to create a species or even control one. The Tau also completely lack any actual warp protections beyond being the spiritual equivalent of dry toast so being an anti-chaos weapon seems unlikely for that reason as well.
It'd be like Fantasy Dwarves having the no wizards rule but not getting their magic resistance stuff, a flaw not a feature.
The Necrons aren't fond of using AI but theirs is canon the best, and probably the first invented in the galaxy (don't see the Old Ones learning programming). In the old 3rd ed canon the C'Tan Void Dragon is either capable of controlling most all machines and AI and is also likely the source of much of humanity's technology invented after the Dark Age of Technology (so all in all it's rather fortunate ironically that the mechanicus have been stifling innovation), though the mechanicus are also possibly stripping away their humanity on the whims of a toaster god. In the new fluff this is more or less the same but we do get one notable canon fluff of one of the Necron tomb worlds' AI glitching out over the millennia, reprogramming all of its Necron guests - assuming command despite having been invented as a caretaker program, attacking other tomb worlds with its necrons to continue conquering and reprogramming with no end limit. I'm not sure how powerful an AI with the computational power of Necron science and the space of a planet is, but for that matter there isn't much detail over exactly how intelligent even their lesser autonomous machines are - the scarabs, spiders, wraiths and other janitor bots. I wouldn't use sapience as a judge for the complexity of Necron AI, especially since in 40k the real challenge is creating AI that doesn't develop its own will - with the newfluff glitched tomb world being one such notable example where a Necron AI fucked up and stopped being subservient. And then of course there's the oddity of the actual Necrons themselves, but to put things into context: The C'Tan in both new and old fluff have conscious thoughts because the Necrontyr built their minds for them; Necrontyr computer science was quite literally godly. How much of that knowledge some Necron Crypteks or the C'Tan still have is pretty unknown, because the Necrons don't like communicating with the species that make good fluff. But from what we do know, Necron AI is immune to chaos, sapience (sans the one notable exception) self-building, repairing, capable of communication, receiving and processing a wide spectrum of information (light, sound, magnetic fields and so on) and is capable of lasting eternity.

So you have a race of people who in their infancy are about to be exterminated by Imperials when their planet is engulfed in a warp storm for thousands of years. When the warp storm ends, what remains of the planet is not a gibbering mess of chaos spawn, but a technologically advancing and emerging power that is untainted by chaos - being a race of young, short-lived scientists that have incredibly weak warp-signatures. They make use of advanced technology and AI, and have very little knowledge or experiences dealing with Chaos. Where they have eradicated growing Chaos incursions, they have done so not realizing that there was more to the incursions than unusual xenos rebellions, with the few exceptions of Tau who haven't gone insane upon learning the truth being Farsight - who is notable for having stumbled upon some technology which messes with time and is anti-demonic.

That to me speaks to the Tau being the product of either interference from Necron Crypteks, C'Tan or an Old One remnant. If there was an Old One remnant left alive when that warp storm hit the Tau homeworld (or indeed, if the Old One remnant caused the warp storm) then it's plausible that that Old One was capable of protecting the Tau homeworld the same way Emps covered Earth. We also know that the Old Ones are capable of and regularly engineered other species to fight for them in the War of Heaven, and from the Krork we also know that the Old Ones were capable of programming an instinctual knowledge of technology into a species. The genetic caste system and the ethereals controls over them would be of no issue to an Old One remnant. It would also reveal that the Old One remnant had changed priorities, from engineering a species capable of fighting the materially powerful but warpfully weak Necrons, to the warptastic chaos.

The Necron theory rests on the Necrons or C'Tan being involved, as we have seen them be involved with humanity previously. The Necrons possess all the technology needed to shield a world in perpetuity from the warp, with the Cadian pylons being the most dramatic example. We also know that they still possess, and that their Crypteks still continue to do, all kinds of experiments and shenanigans with time and the genes of species. Most notable would be the pariahs or human blanks, who were engineered by Necrons as an experiment against the warp. The low-warp signature of Tau and the ubiquitous of their technology harkens to this and the Necrontyr, and I find it more likely that if it was the Necrons, the Tau were experimented upon by a Cryptek and not the Void Dragon. This would also fit right into the Necron agenda, as they have been continuously seeking ways to eliminate the warp's influence over the materium

Could be Tzeentch, but then unless this was some Nth dimensional Vostroyan roulette strip poker chess, it doesn't make much sense to create a race of blueberries that are pretty efficient anti-Chaos weapons.
I had a ridiculously long tinfoil theory on this lost somewhere withing the confines of this thread pages. Could also be the Deceiver playing the Nth dimensional Vostroyan roulette strip poker chess with Tzzentch, Cegorach, Emperor and Creed.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #9157 on: September 20, 2017, 05:41:58 pm »

^
Huh? Eldar aren't a modified offshoot of early humanity that still occasionally interbreeds? Then again it's not like space marines look human on the inside either so by that logic a good chunk of the fan base should just go home right?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9158 on: September 20, 2017, 06:01:24 pm »

^
Huh? Eldar aren't a modified offshoot of early humanity that still occasionally interbreeds? Then again it's not like space marines look human on the inside either so by that logic a good chunk of the fan base should just go home right?
The Eldar look similar to humans. That is the only piece of commonality between the two races. They are not in any way genetically related to humans in the slightest. The genetic difference between Eldar and humans is orders of magnitude greater than the difference between humans and fish. The Eldar were created by the Old Ones more than 60 million years ago whereas the Homo genus only appeared about 2.8 million years ago - about 57 million years after all the Old Ones died off. Homo Sapiens only appeared 200,000 years before the year 40,000. The Eldar are aliens through and through. Eldar and humans cannot interbreed.

Space Marines, meanwhile, are just modified humans and their souls are innately human, unlike the Eldar.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:03:01 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9159 on: September 20, 2017, 06:25:12 pm »

The Eldar are aliens through and through. Eldar and humans cannot interbreed.

But, muh fanfic.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9160 on: September 20, 2017, 06:30:35 pm »

They used to be able to, but I don't think it's canon anymore.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9161 on: September 20, 2017, 06:36:15 pm »

Eldar also have different joints from humans, different internal organs from humans, different placement of those organs that are shared.

The books that bother to describe how one looks to the other in practice can be summed up as Eldar look creepy as hell, humans look like badly made clay figures that a cruel god allowed to move.

Eldar move fluidly to human eyes, like they have no real joints in their limbs, their eyes are distant and inscrutable, the shape of the head is angular and disconcerting, they make no sound as they walk, they can walk through a field without disturbing a blade of grass and they speak a language so complex humans can never learn to speak it even as well as an Eldar child.

By contrast they see humans as crude misshapen mockeries of their form. We moo and grunt like animals when we speak, our food is noxious and repellant, our hands clumsy, our movements slow and lumpen, our features broad and swollen looking and out our minds so dull they might as well be rocks in our heads and not brains.

GW canon is a wonky thing but I don't think they're canon anymore either, I think that was something from the 1st edition era that got dropped like so much else when they massively tightened up and altered the setting.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9162 on: September 20, 2017, 06:51:25 pm »

...But in practice they're Standard Fantasy Elves, which are thin pretty humans. The fluff can say they have weird joints and look disturbing and have weird organs, but does that really mean anything when the artists, including the people making actual miniatures make them look like tall humans? Gee, if they were really so weird, maybe someone would, like, depict them like that?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9163 on: September 20, 2017, 07:00:02 pm »

There's that one spehss mahrin captain who's the offspring of eldar and human. Could just be that the offspring are infertile, as spehss marhines are infertile by standard this wouldn't really be noticed. Same way a lion and tiger can interbreed once but the offspring itself cannot continue the line

*metaEDIT
Huh, seems I'm wrong. Zoologists just figured out lion tiger hybrids can continue breeding. I guess it is entirely possible for Eldar and Humans to be two different species and still interbreed

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9164 on: September 20, 2017, 07:03:31 pm »

...But in practice they're Standard Fantasy Elves, which are thin pretty humans. The fluff can say they have weird joints and look disturbing and have weird organs, but does that really mean anything when the artists, including the people making actual miniatures make them look like tall humans? Gee, if they were really so weird, maybe someone would, like, depict them like that?

Maybe it's a psychic thing. Their mental warp fields or whatever are so incomparable that they cause each other to be repulsed and the little things get magnified. Like how people fucking hate blanks.
Pages: 1 ... 609 610 [611] 612 613 ... 824