Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964465 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Is it really so grimdark for the average pleb that they cant have homemade moonshine or purchase champagne?

Three guardsmen sitting in a trench and a daemonette calls over the wall 'Hey boys, I got what you want, and I got it right here right now, all you need.'
One looks at the other two and says 'You know what the commissar said. No matter how hungry you get, no eating daemons'
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

But look at how much they want you to eat them!

[and before anyone says anything--- We are talking warp demons here. These things could very well be situationally appropriate in this game universe!)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 03:49:33 am by wierd »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

Would still love a tale of Caine having to deal with an Ork at some point.

"It was at this point that I discovered that Jurgen's penchant for poor hygiene was enough to discourage even an ork from approaching me."

There was at least one Commissar Cain novel with orks in it, but it was of course just shooting and chopping at them instead of anything vaguely from their perspective.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

IIRC orks show up at the end of the necron book, mostly to eat necrons and give caine n co a reason to leave the planet.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

mostly to eat necrons
Omigosh is this an euphemism for duct-taping gauss rifles to their flashy bitz?  Now that's some dakka!

Edit:  More seriously, I wonder if the necron's living tech is actively resistant to the scions of the Old Ones.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 08:16:58 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What is he holding in his right hand?

A laser pistol stolen from the annals of Fallout.
Pistol 1 S5 AP-2 2 D
I'm skeptical. I've found what it looks like from the side.

All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

mostly to eat necrons
Omigosh is this an euphemism for duct-taping gauss rifles to their flashy bitz?  Now that's some dakka!

Edit:  More seriously, I wonder if the necron's living tech is actively resistant to the scions of the Old Ones.

The closest we got to lootin' gauss weapons in the book was an ork ripping off a necron's leg and beating them over the head with it.

Depending on version of the War in Heaven, seeing as there's been a few renditions over the years, eldar were made specifically to counter the necrons, hence the species wide advanced psychic proficiency. The necrons lack of souls/imprisoned souls (and small souls even when they lived) makes them extra vulnerable to psychic powers, which then lead to them engineering defences against it*. But those can be destroyed rendering the necrons as a force vulnerable and usually have limited range.

Orks used to be made to fight the Enslaver plague, but I think the Nightbringer's fluff has said orks fought the necrons as well and it all becomes kind of a jumble because of all the editions.

*Formerly they made the Pariah gene that creates nulls among humans and seeded it onto Earth during the WiH, these days Necron Pariahs are gone and their anti-psyker role is instead represented by various bits of wargear that give the necrons psychic defence. I think the main one goes on Canoptek Spyders. No idea if their current fluff still has them as the source of the null gene.

I'm skeptical. I've found what it looks like from the side.

Might be wired into him or his suit by the looks of it. Add that dial on it and I'm going to assume it's a power source or somehow involved in him interfacing with his knight.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think it might actually be the other way around; there's a bit in Evil Sun that mentions how krork shielding(?) technology is dangerously incompatible with that of other races -- and as the ork in question successfully built a krork-style fusion reactor it's probably safe to assume this is as the Old Ones intended, and other devices might be similarly affected.

That would make sense from a strategic standpoint, too. Whatever a gauss flayer does internally, having the krork gestalt psychic field (the WAAAGH!) bash it around to make it shoot dakka like a proppa snazzgun probably isn't helpful, let alone a boy trying to jam a magazine into it cauze bigga bullits makes it shootier. Better to have it explode or fail straight away than to have a lot of krork paying attention to it and suffusing it with even more psychic energy, or worse still a mek meddling with the worky gubbins.

Presumably modern Orks' ability to integrate human technology is simply that the Orks don't use the krork devices that would conflict with them and it's fairly rugged anyway, and so humie kit can be looted with relative confidence.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 10:43:03 pm by Trekkin »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile

Human tech is already basically a heap of scrap metal that only works through sheer force of faith, so it makes sense that it would be compatible with ork tech. :P
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only because the aftermath of the dark age of technology had everyone go dumb as rocks.

Human tech USED to be pretty sophisticated, bad-assed shit.  Then internal politics, corruption, and outright madness made everyone into backwards ultra-conservatives that worship the emperor's royal effluent as he rots on the golden toilet seat.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, given that WH40K takes place in the year 40,000 or thereabouts, it's about 6 to 10 times the length of recorded history, so, theres bound to be a number of dark ages and civilizational collapses. And apparently it takes place at the end of one such 'dark age'?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's my understanding that over-reliance on digital storage for records, coupled with a catastrophic implosion of society, resulted in the loss of all information about the period; yet all the wondrous devices remain intact on various worlds of the old imperium. 

These sites are strictly protected by the previously mentioned ultra-conservatives, who (mis)interpret what little they successfully recover, and destroy everything that does not fit their preconceived narrative about the glory and majesty of his royal flatulence, the god emperor of man. (you know, because "HERESY!")

It kinda makes me pine for a story from the perspective of a lowly technician who gets stuck in a temporal stasis cell on accident during the dark age, getting woke up in the 'modern' era, and subsequently going on the run from the imperium for his heretical views, getting into all kinds of trouble.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Although, given that FTL is a dangerous thing and isn’t used often (though I guess FTL communication exists?) there’s some isolation effect on various imperium worlds, so, you’d think that not all worlds would experience a dark age at the same time, or at least not experience it in the same way.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

I think the Emperor himself shows evidence to the rule that logic and reason do not win in this universe. The dude tried to play everything according to reason and mathematics, but the reality is that reality is super malleable. Faith matters in weird ways which make no sense. If someone woke up from the dark age of technology and tried to flush the machine spirit on a land raider, it would likely eat him.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think the Emperor himself shows evidence to the rule that logic and reason do not win in this universe. The dude tried to play everything according to reason and mathematics, but the reality is that reality is super malleable. Faith matters in weird ways which make no sense. If someone woke up from the dark age of technology and tried to flush the machine spirit on a land raider, it would likely eat him.

And that's kinda why it would be a fun story angle.

"What did you fuckers do to the universe!? Jeeze!"

Besides, said hypothetical person would have been contemporary with the era when humans were widely using AI, and when "the men of iron" initiated their rebellion. (if not slightly before.)

As such, the notion of a "machine spirit" might be seen as absurd to him. (Similar to how Tau tech is not venerated such.)  Hence, why he would be on the run from the imperium for heresy. (The mechanicus would be after him real bad with a serious hate boner.)

The fact that OTHERS believe in machine spirits would however, MAKE them real-- as alluded to. 

Thus, the "What did you fuckers do to the universe!?" angle.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 03:31:08 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 754 755 [756] 757 758 ... 824