Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 971608 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This can be solved using technology; mech eyes that see into the warp! Causes only minor insanity!

Wouldn't that corrupt the mech-eyes' machine spirit?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Eventually. I suppose if it perceives the Warp rather than looks in to it, the rate of corruption would be slower.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Eventually. I suppose if it perceives the Warp rather than looks in to it, the rate of corruption would be slower.
Is it worse to perceive the warp or look at it?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Define look and define perceive.

Navigators do well just seeing the general flows of energy with their third eye, but looking into something like an active chaos rift generally kills them or drives them mad like most humans. Similarly psykers feel the warp currents around them with no harm, but visions of the warp often break their minds.

A mechanical sense that could see the flows of the warp would be reasonably safe, one that could see the actual daemons and rivers of blood and floating monstrous geography would drive you mad.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

I feel like warp corruption is a matter of when, not if.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel like warp corruption is a matter of when, not if.

First, let's assert this as a given.

Look vs. perceive.

Perceive: The Mechanicus renders data from its warp sensors in an abstract fashion. Perhaps Warp Energy or patterns is rendered as digitized swathes of color, series of numbers, pictograms. It mediates the experience of the Warp in to a data-driven display. There is much it doesn't display, or it breaks down that display into smaller, more manageable bits. (Think of vision modes or filters.) In the example of Harpies, they might show as an outline of light or a threat vector number value. I believe this is already somewhat standard technology on starships. They need to be able to communicate information about Warp energy to the crew, even if it's in its most rudimentary form. (Whether there is Warp energy or not, how much warp energy. Typically used by sensors and augurs to know when ships are translating from the Warp.)

Look: The Mechanicus tries to render as much information as it can from the Warp. Rather than creating an abstract representation of Warp data, it tries to include as much as possible as specifically as possible. So Warp Energy would be a background bloom of color, and the Machine Spirit would try to capture as true a rendition of a Warp Entity as it could against that background. Rendering swathes of emotion as changing equations. Layers upon layers of data, where each data layer interacts with the others, eventually leading to sensory overload. There's less filtering of information. In the case of Harpies, the Machine Spirit might try to render its actual shape, or the hellish light emanating from its eyes, and how the different metrics of Warp energy relate, react to and change based on it.

Obviously both still lead to corruption, both of the viewer and the technology. The better the detail, the more rapid the corruption.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:48:08 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, minor nitpick, Harpies are Tyranid monsters that serve as one of their main aerial support beasts, the creature you're thinking of is Furies, one of the more powerful unaligned daemon species.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shamefur dispray on my part. I just got through the Word Bearers Omnibus and the Seventh Retribution novel where both get mentioned. I'll just *BLAM* myself now.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile

Been playing the Mechanicus game. I mean the fact i'm playing it above and over three kingdoms probably says something.

But yeah, interesting lores noises. Even stuff like super-important necron artifacts can have a corruptive effect somehow.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile

Well, probably your regular corrupt with power, which in turn (inside 40k) means you are proner to get real corruption from the warp?
Or maybe somekind of weird machine code or informatic virus if you will.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Necron stuff does do some weird stuff to people. It's semi-alive and has some kind of aura that unnerves people.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

The necrons made their own version of the Realm of Spirits, which got similarly corrupted.  tyvm
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What is he holding in his right hand?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A melta charge, perhaps? Need more information on who/what he is.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A pack of cold ones for the boys. He looks like he enjoys a good pint every so often.

I presume that beer exists in 40k, at least. Everyone's always drinking amasec or something, makes you think brewing was one of those lost technologies the Imperium has forgotten. Truly grimdark.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 824