Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964210 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Lol he's like Freddy and haunts your dreams.

Surpirsed at least one fluff character isnt a freddy-like assassin demon
The closest thing to assassin daemon would be Spear, the daemonhost blank that Erebus tried to assassinate Emperor with.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My thought was to have the knights gain corruption along with the pilots, and have them roll on a mutations table pieced together from the Gifts of the Gods, the Legacy Weapon tables and the Daemon Weapon tables, and a separate personality table based off the one for Rogue Trader ships. When the knight hits 100 corruption it's as mutated as it can be, and the pilot is racing against spawndom/being consumed by the knight in their quest to ascend in the eyes of the gods. When the pilot is consumed they just become part of the command throne, leaving the knight ready and waiting for a new pilot.

The neat thing is that the pilots would occasionally have to dismount and deal with things on their own because knights don't fit inside most buildings and it's hard to talk to important people if you won't present yourself to their court.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meanwhile, I've had less luck against my brother's tau in the last two games we played.  We've been keeping it simple and just playing to annihilation of the army, which may or may not have a significant impact on my success rate if we ever start playing properly with objectives.

In any case, I've found crisis suits to be supremely irritating bullet sponges.  My plan to use my predator to one-shot them with its 3 damage autocannon didn't work out when they appeared from deep strike next to it and blew it away in the first turn.  It took an unreasonable amount of fire from heavy bolters from razorbacks and devastators to even clear out the drones, much less injure the suits themselves.  I'd have probably done better if my plasma devastators survived the first turn too, who all died to pathfinders of all things...

I was considering swapping out some heavy support options to get two more predators so I could use the stratagem for extra damage against vehicles (I'd really like to kill the riptide again one day...), but upon looking at, I'm not sure it's even worth it.  It feels like you lose some flexibility by taking so many predators, and the stratagem doesn't even help all that much for its CP cost.

GW faqed deepstrike to be possible only  in your own deployment zone on turn 1, so  your brothers crysis suits could deepstrike to yours deployment zone only on turn 2.
Also what is the chapter you play as?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

I think the more interesting angle would be what daemons have inhabited their steeds. A Khorne daemon would produce a very different Knight than a Tzeentch one. Their steeds could be like sorta NPCs with their own quirks and personalities, maybe even randomized off some chart. There's all sorts of cool things you could do there.

Oh, certainly. I was under the impression that Daemon Knights were those traitor Knights in which the operator had died and the machine itself possessed in its entirety, like a daemon engine, which didn't sound like a reversible process -- why would the daemon(s) need or want a human to sit in the chair when the possessed Knight works without one?

Then again, there's no need for the two to be mutually exclusive; it would be fun, perhaps, to give the players a Nurgle/Tzeentch score and a Khorne/Slaanesh score, where falling completely off either end of either scale leads to the PC succumbing to the will of the aforesaid power, but ramping themed benefits up until that point as the similarly aligned echoes of previous owners/daemonic inhabitants favor the current user.

I keep having trouble swallowing the whole "The machine is possessed!" angle.

I have issues because it leads to nonsense conclusions:

1) If the void demons can actually bind enough immaterium energy to the physical plane to permanently alter the behavior of matter-energy systems (like a computer, which operates the way it does due to quantum electrodynamics), then there is no way imaginable for the forces of order to ever win.  The very air you breath, the water you drink, the food you eat, and the bed you sleep on all can be infused with so much immaterium that all of them literally murderfuck you to death, and then resurrect your corpse with a demon inside, with no recourse or means to prevent it.

2) If they instead only do so long enough to reprogram the AI inside such computers, then one could simply cut AI, and computers strong enough to house AI, out of the equation completely.  This seems to be the angle the Imperium has taken, with banning AI altogether, and requiring any system that processes data to require a human mind be a necessary and functional part of its operation. This implies that it should be possible to completely wipe a contaminated system by restoring it to factory defaults, but GW wants to play it both ways... which makes no sense at all.

There is of course, the hybrid, mixed case option--

3) The void demons ARE able to permanently inhabit otherwise inanimate matter and change its behavior permanently, but doing so comes at some kind of intrinsic and permanent cost to them, such that the option of "inhabit all matter in the galaxy at the same time" is not on the table for them. However, they dont seem to be suffering in any way from their rampant infestation of inanimate matter all over the damn place.

Until I have this issue resolved in my head, I really have a hard time with the whole "It got possessed!" angle.  In my mind, I see "But it's a photocopier. It's all analog circuitry with a high voltage corona wire that attracts electrostatic dust, and then fuses it to paper with a big flash lamp inside a metal roller. Where the fuck is the ghost living inside this thing, and if it can, what stops it from inhabiting say-- The officer's mess, and getting into the whole damn bridge crew that way? Because inanimate matter is inanimate for a goddamn reason you know."

Sorry to derail, but this is one of the things I just cant handwave away in my head about this universe.

Depending on which of these cases is the actual answer, I would have significant questions about why the Imperium does things the way it does...

Maybe I'm just insane, trying to make sense of an insane universe... who knows.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 07:23:52 am by wierd »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe I'm just insane, trying to make sense of an insane universe... who knows.

Yeah, it'd be that one. 40k runs on Rule of Cool, the rules of its fictional universe are prone to change with the writer and it is, in the final analysis, written to serve as background for as many unpredictable stories as possible, some of which will invariably contradict each other -- and that's fine. They don't want to definitively nail down exactly how the Warp works except in the broadest of terms because they don't need to for the setting to be fun and all more precision would do is touch off more tedious lore pedantry and make people's armies and fluff and so forth contradict canon.

If you want explosions and action, 40k does it on a grand and frankly goofy scale. If you want grim dark war stories, there's more than you can shake a stick at and some of them are actually pretty good. If you want to shoot daemonic photocopiers before they can corrupt more Munitorum forms, it turns out there's already a story that's indirectly about possessed office equipment, and as a Dark Heresy campaign I can see several ways to have fun with it.

If, however, you want the setting to somehow acknowledge or reward that you can qualitatively describe the broad strokes of how a photocopier works, I'm afraid there will be a lot in this setting that will upset you.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not that I want to show off that I know how a photocopier works, it's that that there is no logical MECHANISM by which a void demon could arbitrarily control the photocopier;  It's as close to being based wholly on raw physics as you can get with an electrical appliance.

If the demons can arbitrarily get the copier to make scary images or alter the resulting copy in subtle but devious ways, it is clearly NOT THE COPIER doing this, but the demons altering the behaviors of physics inside the copier.

Once you go there though, it becomes case 1, and the universe is doomed.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers

Yeah, it'd be that one. 40k runs on Rule of Cool, the rules of its fictional universe are prone to change with the writer and it is, in the final analysis, written to serve as background for as many unpredictable stories as possible, some of which will invariably contradict each other -- and that's fine. They don't want to definitively nail down exactly how the Warp works except in the broadest of terms because they don't need to for the setting to be fun and all more precision would do is touch off more tedious lore pedantry and make people's armies and fluff and so forth contradict canon.

If you want explosions and action, 40k does it on a grand and frankly goofy scale. If you want grim dark war stories, there's more than you can shake a stick at and some of them are actually pretty good. If you want to shoot daemonic photocopiers before they can corrupt more Munitorum forms, it turns out there's already a story that's indirectly about possessed office equipment, and as a Dark Heresy campaign I can see several ways to have fun with it.

If, however, you want the setting to somehow acknowledge or reward that you can qualitatively describe the broad strokes of how a photocopier works, I'm afraid there will be a lot in this setting that will upset you.
Yes, no, kind of. There are some ground rules WH40k tends to follow, and while there are exceptions to it, it's kinda understandable considering the scope and how many writers have contributed. Warp is very much the embodiment of "no real rules", but it follows at least one pretty closely that tends to explain a lot - whatever people believe is true, can be true. People don't really question nightmares when a bed or photocopier starts to eat them. The other one is tied to that Materium tends to not give a shit about what people think, and unless Immaterium becomes more "dominant" in some space, stuff will still follow rules of nature as they are. Immaterium becomes less dominant the more "extreme" some space starts to be, it usually involves direct exposure to warp (which is why ships with broken Gellar fields tend to be "fun" even if they come back to real space), someone doing some psyker shit or some really strong feelings happening in the place in question.

3) The void demons ARE able to permanently inhabit otherwise inanimate matter and change its behavior permanently, but doing so comes at some kind of intrinsic and permanent cost to them, such that the option of "inhabit all matter in the galaxy at the same time" is not on the table for them. However, they dont seem to be suffering in any way from their rampant infestation of inanimate matter all over the damn place.
Daemons can, in fact, inhabit Materium and directly impact reality. The problem is that Materium, well, tries to follow laws of nature, which are pretty much roughly as we know them - it requires weakening the reality for a daemon to be able to materialize or possess something, which is why you don't see daemons commonly, unless it's in Warp itself, Eye of Terror (or other assorted Warp storm) or someone specifically did a ritual of summoning or possession. Most of Galaxy still retains it's grasp on reality.

1) If the void demons can actually bind enough immaterium energy to the physical plane to permanently alter the behavior of matter-energy systems (like a computer, which operates the way it does due to quantum electrodynamics), then there is no way imaginable for the forces of order to ever win.  The very air you breath, the water you drink, the food you eat, and the bed you sleep on all can be infused with so much immaterium that all of them literally murderfuck you to death, and then resurrect your corpse with a demon inside, with no recourse or means to prevent it.
Setting aside summoning the material forms of daemons, and focusing on possession, possessing something as basic as air, water or other similarly basic things is not really a thing - possession is intrinsically tied to the psychic link the thing in question can have with warp - in other words, it's soul - which is why beings without souls cannot really get possessed (directly, at least). Air, water, earth or beds don't really have any "soul" inherently, HOWEVER this doesn't mean they cannot have one - Warp works essentially in make-believe fashion, so if someone believes their bed has feelings strong and long enough, it might just be that the bed starts to develop some form of consciousness. Think of it as this, to some degree (but without actual real-world explanations because warp doesn't like real-world explanations). Warp is quite literally magic.
Now, things that have some actual capabilities for basic thinking, such as computers, develop souls easier, since there is less "make-believe" going on, and more reality. This, in addition to the fact some of Imperium's computers are quite literally some poor sod's brain-in-a-jar serving as a computer because it's cheaper (and brain-in-jars already have souls) and the actual AI's that Imperium does still use, even if unwittingly, is what constitutes Machine Spirit. Turns out as much as people make fun of Mechanicus for being a stupid cargo cult, they are actually onto something.
So, if a thing has a soul, it can have that soul's connection with Warp hijacked, and thus be possessed by a daemon. However, it should be noted that daemons aren't particularly hyped about being toasters or beds (or a pile of sand, for that matter) - they like if their bodies are more capable, especially in murdering department, which is why they usually possess humans or really powerful machines of war such as Knights, not to mention a daemon can have trouble actually leaving the thing it's possessing unless it "dies", which, for say, a pile of sand, is problematic. Since again, it's very costly and hard for daemons to possess things, that means your bed is probably not going to be possessed anytime soon, even if it develops consciousness. That said, daemons can be forced into possessing things, which is often done to enhance capabilities of weapons and such, however the daemon inside will probably hate the one who forced it, and will try it's best to escape and possibly somehow punish the person, even if it comes in few hundred years, since daemons hold grudges pretty well.

2) If they instead only do so long enough to reprogram the AI inside such computers, then one could simply cut AI, and computers strong enough to house AI, out of the equation completely.  This seems to be the angle the Imperium has taken, with banning AI altogether, and requiring any system that processes data to require a human mind be a necessary and functional part of its operation. This implies that it should be possible to completely wipe a contaminated system by restoring it to factory defaults, but GW wants to play it both ways... which makes no sense at all.
Possibly, possibly not. It might be so that possession has physically changed the system, so restoring doesn't work anymore, also daemonic taint tends to remain despite there being no daemons in sight anymore - this can serve as one of ways to weaken the reality, which obviously makes subsequent daemonic possessions or assorted manifestations (even something as basic as simple whispering of insane ideas can get a man to fall after a while). Also, it should be noted that direct daemonic possession is just one of multiple ways a computer can be made to start randomly murdering and in general acting very chaos-like. Scrap Code is essentially Chaos computer viruses, which corrupt Machine Spirits directly, or simply make simpler mechanisms (such as toasters) do something harmful, like explode. There is also actual old-school rogue AI's that aren't necessarily Chaotic in nature (however, some of them willingly strike a deal with Chaos Gods, in a manner similar to how biological beings fall to Chaos), just want to kill humans for the old good fun of it, and probably bunch of other things, including just regular non-Chaotic fuck-ups.

Until I have this issue resolved in my head, I really have a hard time with the whole "It got possessed!" angle.  In my mind, I see "But it's a photocopier. It's all analog circuitry with a high voltage corona wire that attracts electrostatic dust, and then fuses it to paper with a big flash lamp inside a metal roller. Where the fuck is the ghost living inside this thing, and if it can, what stops it from inhabiting say-- The officer's mess, and getting into the whole damn bridge crew that way? Because inanimate matter is inanimate for a goddamn reason you know."
Officer's mess is bigger, for one. Photocopier probably broke a lot and people got mad at it, and kicked it, and it started developing feelings and hatred towards humans. The photocopier is just an easier avenue of attack due to those emotions, though it should be noted it's an incredibly hard anyway, a human would probably be much easier. This doesn't of course mean the Officer's Mess can't be Chaotically tainted and getting the entire bridge crew, it's possible, but it's less of a possession by actual daemon and just the place having weakened connection with reality which allows various Warp shit to leak in. At best, you'll hear whispers, see things in the corner of your eye, maybe some ghosts, at worst daemons will start materializing and coming out of the walls, but the room itself will still not be possessed in strict sense of a daemon inhabiting it as an object.

Once you go there though, it becomes case 1, and the universe is doomed.
No to doomed Universe (for one, it'd just be Galaxy, as we have no idea what's going on in other galaxies, and since there is no real psychical link with other galaxies, there is no Warp-based link to them). As I said, for daemons to possess something as hard to possess as photocopier or a toaster (or a whole room, for that matter) that place needs to be already pretty fucked, so you'd be rather worrying about actual daemons physically popping up to tear you in half rather than the photocopier making scary images.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The thing is though, there is no mechanism for the copier to develop or sustain a soul; It is comprised of an arrangement of raw materials, like the air is, or a glass of water is.  It behaves the way it does due to the physics of the materials it is constructed from.

A computer could arguably be considered to be complex enough to develop a kind of mind in it, given the right circumstances, but just like your brain stops having a soul in it when it gets plastered across a bulkhead, a computer should stop being physically capable of sustaining or housing a soul once its state changes sufficiently.  Since the state that would enable a mind to be inside a computer is the state of its electrical signals, and stored data patterns, a good solid wipe job would be the functional equivalent of plastering it's brains on the bulkhead.

The most sensible (to me at least) explanation is that a "soul" is the energy in the immaterium interacting with (or within) such a complex system. Once the system stops being complex enough, or having the right requirements for continued interaction (EG, a brain was plastered across a bulkhead), that connection is terminated, and that action and agency ceases. (EG, the soul inside the human stops being in the materium, and returns to the immaterium)  You souldnt get to have it both ways, that leads to nonsensical conclusions, like animate air.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Warp can alter physical reality as it sees fit, it just can't do it all the time. Or to be more precise, the gods who could do it anywhere at will can't be bothered and the lesser warp entities need to weaken the veil and be the strongest one around to do it. Soil, air and water can be infected with the taint of corruption, breathing the air of some worlds causes those who aren't faithful to chaos to become sick as chaos starts to take root in their body. If you take seeds from plants from a chaos world and plant them elsewhere they will spread corruption into the ecosystem.

Metal can twist and mutate into meat, matter can be created ex nihilo, buildings and vehicles can grow teeth and hunger for flesh. When something is daemonically corrupt or possessed it doesn't obey many normal laws of reality. A possessed photocopier could grow arms and legs and crawl along the ceiling trying to eat people with a tongue made of twisted meat and wires.

Even things as simple as wooden shields made of planks can be possessed and become unnatural combinations of the real and the unreal.

Walls bleed, tanks swallow people alive, smoke manifests daemons that eat tumours, trains burrow through reality and building projects pick favourites among the construction crew.

There is no logic, there are few patterns, there are fewer concrete rules. The Warp is magic, not science, it defies reality.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

which is why it would lead to case 1-- Since all methods employable by order rely on..  Order... (eg, a stable and consistent set of rules by which interactions may occur), which is clearly not the true state of the universe (as evidenced by the existence of such things as man eating copiers), there is no method to combat this.  Even quarantine is not sufficient, since light is itself a physical thing, that interacts with these worlds, and gets spread through the galaxy.

There would be no stopping the spread of the taint. Given enough time, 100% of the galaxy will be chaotic, and given sufficient time, that taint would spread to other galaxies.  The entire universe would fall.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

there is no method to combat this.

Apart from magic, presumably. That would be what all the blessings and hexagrammic wards and sanctioned psykers are for.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

there is no method to combat this.

Apart from magic, presumably. That would be what all the blessings and hexagrammic wards and sanctioned psykers are for.

Not even then.

The use of magic as a tool requires that magic follow reliable and predictable patterns and rules. (EG, order.)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

A wizard chaos demon did it.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

which is why it would lead to case 1-- Since all methods employable by order rely on..  Order... (eg, a stable and consistent set of rules by which interactions may occur), which is clearly not the true state of the universe (as evidenced by the existence of such things as man eating copiers), there is no method to combat this.  Even quarantine is not sufficient, since light is itself a physical thing, that interacts with these worlds, and gets spread through the galaxy.

There would be no stopping the spread of the taint. Given enough time, 100% of the galaxy will be chaotic, and given sufficient time, that taint would spread to other galaxies.  The entire universe would fall.

Yes, such is basically part of the setting, the material is doomed to fail but still valiantly holds back the end for as long as it can. The masses are unaware of the magnitude of what they face and the enlightened few walk a tightrope of corruption in hopes of finding ways to hold back the darkness longer, or possibly even find a glimmer of hope for victory.

But it's not just chaos that's portrayed as an inevitable doom. 40k has a few dozen apocalypse scale events just around the corner, none of which can be stopped. It's just how it's always been written. The Empire teeters on the brink of collapse, the long legacy of men is faded and all it will take is the final assault of Chaos/the unification of the Orkz/the full arrival of the Tyranids/the birth of Ynnead and restoration of the Eldar and so on to see the sun finally set forever on humanity.

The Imperium has been written into a losing position on the brink of the new millennium and stuck holding there for about 7 editions, there's always been little glimmers of hope scattered about, but it's largely a setting about human insignificance, the inevitable victory of an uncaring galaxy over mankind. 8th reels it back a bit, but generally speaking humanity is still pretty boned.

They can cleanse some corruption, but it doesn't seem to remove all of it from things. Grimnar has a reforged and sanctified axe from a chaos champion, but it stills bears some taint even after being melted down and blessed.

Not even then.

The use of magic as a tool requires that magic follow reliable and predictable patterns and rules. (EG, order.)

Psykers and faith rituals can be used to reduce or remove corruption from things, and to ward it off. One of the few rules daemons have is that they can be held back by certain rites or by holy symbols wielded by those strong in faith or psychic wards. Problem is those strong enough of faith to hold them back are rare as are strong psykers.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The imperium is going about it all wrong.   If order can be "Imposed" by strong minds in the materium, upon the immaterium, then the obvious answer is to mass produce psyker brains in self-sufficient tanks, with just the right physical constraints to prevent those damned polyps from getting them, (Not enough room inside the container! Abuse the FUCK out of rules as written!) combined with monitoring systems to terminate the subject (with prejudice) if they become corrupt, with some kind of conditioning to make them strongly adhere to the doctrines of order, while not engaging in outright dominion or aggression (which lead to the creation of chaos gods), and just set them loose into the uncorrupted areas of space.

A very aggressive campaign of this would cause there to be so many of these beings in the universe, that it would overwhelm the chaos in the immaterium.  At which point, they could be switched off (eg, killed.)

It would be like recreating the conditions that created slannesh, without all that nasty hedonism that made her manifest, and instead imposing lots and lots of ordered thoughts. These minds could exist entirely in a solipsist imaginary world created from their own imaginations (being brains in jars), as long as they held-fast to conceptions and beliefs that promote order, their very existence would be sufficient, given enough numbers.

But no.

The imperium uses SPECE MAREENS, and big guns.  Because somehow, fear and oppression promote ordered thoughts.
Pages: 1 ... 769 770 [771] 772 773 ... 824