Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 824

Author Topic: WH40K discussion thread: from Tyran's heart I stab at thee.  (Read 964285 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

TBH, the adventures of people in the Realm of Chaos / The Warp were some of my favorite early fantasy and 40k stuff. Transdimensional adventurers who may or may not be bad, who might wield swords or magic or guns. They may or may not be mutated, they may or may not actually worship the Chaos Gods. It's all very Michael Moorcock and Elric of Melnibone, but I loved that shit too, and wish there was far more of that in existence. Some of the current BL writers like Graham McNeil and to a lesser extent Abnett and a few others still tap into that well from time to time. But I think it's a cool enough thing that it warrants its own space in the fiction. Sadly, it's at best a single story, short story or one recurring character. I think GWS feels that writing "hard Chaos" might be a liability. Oh sure, they'll write about Chaos Space Marines all day, with plenty of lurid details. But they seem unwilling to go much further than that.

Stories like Seven Views of Ulguth's Passing is what I want more of. It paints a weird, exotic picture of warp space and near warp space that doesn't require any of the usual 40k staples to be interesting.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Took me a bit to get this ready, partly because I decided to finish two more aggressors before posting, partly because I couldn't remember exactly what I had posted before so I decided to create an Imgur account and just do an image dump of all my Black Templars.

Posted them on Imgur, link provided because I know various sites can be weird about image links and I can't remember if Imgur is good or bad for it.

Spoiler: Aggressors 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Aggressors 2 (click to show/hide)

Aggressors are kind of similar to Terminators with combi-bolters and powerfists, but with a worse armour save, no invulnerable save or Deepstrike, but an extra point of toughness, better shooting and a slight points drop.

Spoiler: Assault Intercessors (click to show/hide)

There's four more units of these guys, 25 in total, but they're all basically identical monopose models. Only difference is the pattern on the tilting plate of the sergeant.

Spoiler: Gravis Captain (click to show/hide)

One of the toughest options for a space marine HQ since the captains/chapter masters get a 4+ invulnerable save and have easy access to 2+ armour save relics, so the +1 toughness of gravis armour or bikes trumps terminator armour for them.

Bladeguard Ancients are ancients that also give an extra buff to Bladeguard units, which are tough as nails melee guys and pretty damn good. The Apothecary can bring dead models back to life if their squad is alive, which is great for tough expensive models like Aggressors or Bladeguard.

The captain is actually kind of pointless and probably won't see play because the shield is honestly kind of a waste of points, but the model is really cool. The Chaplain however will be helpful since Black Templars can't use psykers for buffs and have to rely on prayers.

Dudes a cheap body that doesn't suck in combat, that's about it.

I'm more than halfway through the army. All that's left is 18 Bladeguard Veterans and 5 Company Veterans. The Bladeguard are going to be a chore, partly because I bought a bunch of the monopose ones rather than waiting for the full kit to come out, on the foolish assumption I'd be finished with them ages ago.

The Company Veterans are posing me a bit of a quandary. They're a firstborn unit, but in an otherwise all primaris army that will make them pretty short and bowlegged looking, so I'm thinking of taking some of my spare primaris bodies and chopping and changing parts from the old Black Templars upgrade sprue, MkIII marines, some Vanguard Veterans and Company Command Squads to make primaris scale veterans.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll need to make a Company Champion. Because you can never have too many stabby characters.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 07:19:23 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Admiring the gold trim

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile

Admiring the gold trim

This. In fact, all these models look very cool, nicely done!

The Company Veterans are posing me a bit of a quandary. They're a firstborn unit, but in an otherwise all primaris army that will make them pretty short and bowlegged looking, so I'm thinking of taking some of my spare primaris bodies and chopping and changing parts from the old Black Templars upgrade sprue, MkIII marines, some Vanguard Veterans and Company Command Squads to make primaris scale veterans.

I still kinda think the whole primaris angle was the wrong move to make ("marines, but even marinier!") but at least we got some sweet looking models out of it I 'spose. Good luck with the kitbashing though!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

I still kinda think the whole primaris angle was the wrong move to make ("marines, but even marinier!")

I don't get why they seem more like eldar aspect warriors than space marines, specialized squads that use very specific gear.

They also cannot fit into land raiders, even though terminators and even centurions or chaos obliterators can totally fit.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

I honestly dislike almost everything about the primaris marines, ranging from the narrative to rules to the optics of making Super Marines, but the units and organization are what keep me from actually using them in the game.

Even though unified weapon loadouts in squads are usually considered superior anyway, I really prefer the way the heavy weapon options work for tactical and devastator squads.  Well, tactical squads got nerfed if I remember right and can only take a heavy weapon if full size now, but the range of weapon options is still nicer than Plasma Gun Squad or Huge Autocannon Squad or whatever.  I'd just play using primaris rules using old marine models if I could, but... no, they just don't get the weapon options I'd need to use most of my models so I'm stuck with old marines.  Same with my quad autocannon dreadnought.  Then there is the strange stuff about transports, and the ugly repulsor tank that the primaris get...

It all generally meant my interest in 40k didn't last too long once I got back in during 8th edition.  I imagine in another edition or so, old marines won't even be codex options anymore since the number of choices they get in their codex is already stupidly long because primaris are entirely different instead of just being marines +1 wound like I wish they were.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

the ugly repulsor tank that the primaris get...

Repulsive, isn't it?

But yeah, how are they supposed to be space marines if they can't even use drop pods or even an orbital gunship?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile

of course the worst part about primaris is that they're space marines
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Repulsive, isn't it?

But yeah, how are they supposed to be space marines if they can't even use drop pods or even an orbital gunship?

They're so beef they just roll out the side of the cruiser. It doubles as both a deployment method and an orbital bombardment.

In the future they'll roll out specific Primaris drop pods, which will basically be like dropping a city block on a planet from orbit so they can land 4 Primaris. Starting cost of the Primaris drop pod will be 1/3rd of your current mortgage payment.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

Repulsive, isn't it?

They're so beef they just roll out the side of the cruiser. It doubles as both a deployment method and an orbital bombardment.

The Codex Astartes does not support this maneuver.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile

yeet big man from railgun
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

It all generally meant my interest in 40k didn't last too long once I got back in during 8th edition.
The solution to that problem is the same solution to almost all problems: just play Orks.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

TBH, the adventures of people in the Realm of Chaos / The Warp were some of my favorite early fantasy and 40k stuff. Transdimensional adventurers who may or may not be bad, who might wield swords or magic or guns. They may or may not be mutated, they may or may not actually worship the Chaos Gods. It's all very Michael Moorcock and Elric of Melnibone, but I loved that shit too, and wish there was far more of that in existence. Some of the current BL writers like Graham McNeil and to a lesser extent Abnett and a few others still tap into that well from time to time. But I think it's a cool enough thing that it warrants its own space in the fiction. Sadly, it's at best a single story, short story or one recurring character. I think GWS feels that writing "hard Chaos" might be a liability. Oh sure, they'll write about Chaos Space Marines all day, with plenty of lurid details. But they seem unwilling to go much further than that.

Stories like Seven Views of Ulguth's Passing is what I want more of. It paints a weird, exotic picture of warp space and near warp space that doesn't require any of the usual 40k staples to be interesting.
Goshdarn, 100% down with the Elric Of Melnebone(Not Melniborne, apparently!).  I only have a couple of WH40k novels:  One a collection of worlds being ruined, and another a space marine coterie escapinng from a chaos world.  Or something like that.  It was Ultramarines IIRC.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another mini finished, this time an AoS Dankhold Troggboss that I started back before starting the Templars. It contributed to a period of burnout, but it's finally done and I'm very pleased with it. Got another couple of minis I want to finish before I start on the space marines again, notably Skulltaker and Karanak, who've both been waiting for a bit.

Imgur link

Spoiler: full body shot (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: close up on face (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: close up on bug (click to show/hide)

So fluffwise these guys, which are essentially cave trolls, mostly want to sleep in caves underground but wake up when people disturb them while mining or looking for treasure, or when loonclan grots (night goblins basically) try to goad them into joining their armies. When the Bad Moon fills the sky they sometimes march to war of their own volition, with lesser troggs and grots following in their wake, bellowing and cackling in turn.

Dankhold Troggs grow or shrink depending on the size of the space they last slept in, their bodies being magic sponges that change easily. They are monumentally stupid, like all troggs, and even the more intelligent troggbosses tend to have little concept of tactics more complex than walking forward and smashing things.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 11:07:26 am by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile

It all generally meant my interest in 40k didn't last too long once I got back in during 8th edition.
The solution to that problem is the same solution to almost all problems: just play Orks.

Orkz are conceptually pretty fun, but one of the big draws for marines to me was that they're easy to paint and you don't need 300 of them to start an army.  :)
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 824