Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39

Author Topic: Zomboid  (Read 73540 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Zomboid
« Reply #465 on: April 28, 2013, 12:02:12 am »

Will we be able to have a community game where every one finds or craft a special item with history then place it into a heavily guarded museum?

Can we build a spaceship and leave for a different planet?

Are there procedurally generated plants in the game?

Are there arcade machines in game that let you play the actual games as a side-game?

Is there an option to make the game a first-person shooter?  What about a squad based tactical RPG?

Are there lightsabers?
Shoes...

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 29, 2013, 03:39:47 pm »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 29, 2013, 05:23:27 pm »

Welp, first impressions.

-Way more polish, in general.
-Still plenty of bugs. Bug UI menu display, crashes probably from unhandled inputs.
-Where is the view zoom? Good lord I'm gonna wreck my eyes looking for stuff if they took that out. It's not in the UI anymore and not listed in the hotkeys. Blargh, it's gone. On the one hand I always play zoomed. On the other, it's tough as shit to run from zeds in that close up.
-New menu seems way better. Having an open window to show you containers and contents is awesome. I love how each interaction takes a little time that is shown on the inventory item bar. Very slick. That said, menus are a little funky. Single clicking on one of the tabs makes it thinks you want to reorder them.
-Game crashed when I died, threw an error, then went back to the menu screen with no buttons to press. Not sure if it was because I hit a key or what.
-Game crashed when saving normally after dying. Even calls it "game"_crash.
-Saving. WOO. FINALLY. Seems to work?
-Skills 'n stuff.
-Options for how realistic you want reloading to be. (As in, must chamber a round first.)
-Lots of options for tweaking the zombies, how smart, how they decay, that sort of stuff.
-No new traits or occupations that I can see.
-Changing resolutions in game seems to bug all the menus.
-Open and going through windows now works as does vaulting fences. Hurrah!
-Combat seems a little harder now, and in an unfinished state. Not a lot of sound effects. Previous combat looked and felt a bit better. A lot of that is probably the view, too.

All in all, it looks like the time was not put to waste, so I'm eating my words for the moment. Will keep going and see how the sandbox stuff shapes up. My first was over pretty much the moment I left my starting building. Surrounded on all sides with no where to get away to, or out of sight of zombies.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 10:16:28 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 29, 2013, 05:44:58 pm »

Everyday for the last 4 months they have been telling people very soon, a matter of weeks, not months. I am hopeful that it will see the light of day in May, but would eat my hat if it came out on this coming Monday.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 29, 2013, 06:00:24 pm »

I find something hot like Sirracha or Tabasco goes good with hat.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 29, 2013, 06:19:38 pm »

I just ordered a hat cake because my real hat is so filthy that eating it might cause a zombie outbreak.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 29, 2013, 08:44:07 pm »

Eating an actual hat would probably kill you unless it was entirely made out of just leather. And even then, it would be iffy. So I don't think anyone's gonna complain about a cakehat.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 29, 2013, 09:28:19 pm »

So I just had perhaps my best game ever. Lasted probably about 4 days. Why probably? Because the game crashed and I never saw the final count, but I'll get to that.

I start out somewhere near the edge of town. There's small houses with big open space between them, barbwire fencing and such around that tells me that. My starting house is tiny. I grab a few food items and make some bandages quick, then immediately aggro the horde. I slip out a back window and begin running kinda northwest-ish, dodging through houses when I can.

The horde isn't letting up though. I hit a large open stretch of pavement going north and figure I'll eventually reach some dense housing to lose them. I run...and I run...and I run...and I run...and I run. This road, bordered on both sides by grasses and forest, goes on forever. It eventually gets dark so I have to stay by the shoulder to even see where I'm going. I keep walking. Keep walking. Keep walking. I get a fright noise and, not having any other options since I can't even see where I'm going...I keep running north along the road.

Eventually in the blackness I see the road ends and can't walk more than a few feet forward without getting stuck. Just about then midnight rolls around and the moon is up and I can see the road turns right toward the east.

I follow the road for a bit until I see a patch of brown dirt like a path going south. Knowing that will eventually take me back to civilization, whereas east is a mystery, I take it. By now I'm really thirsty and completely zoned out due to lack of sleep. I've also caught a case of the sads (after long periods of boredom while walking and running.) By now the sun is coming up, gloriously revealing everything to me, making navigation much less nerve wracking.

I follow the path which leads into the forest, weaving this way and that. I take a second, green trail that continues south.

Low and behold I spy a lone farm house and a barn, my savior. I jimmy open the window and slip inside, grabbing a few quick items like food and a baseball bat, a flashlight and water. I spend a long time drinking to recoup my thirst. Then I hit the hay.

I wake up and it's midnight. I eat and check around, no sign of zombies still this far out. I decide this would make a good base of operations. I slip outside into the night and check around the barn for a hammer (as I've now found plenty of nails) but alas I find none. No hammer, no barricading. I go back inside and finish exploring the house, coming up with not a whole lot. Plenty of ammunition but still no gun. I'm grateful for the baseball bat though, which is better than the spade I was carrying.

Morning dawns and I head south, intent on finding more supplies. I pass through a tree line and then a large, open field clear of zombies. Not wanting to make it too hard to find the farmhouse again, I keep south. I turn the corner of the woods and run into a few zeds. Seeing them alone I decide to try out the bat. Turns out combat isn't so hard when you can see what's coming. (The ability to strafe and back pedal while swinging is also a huge help.)

The Zeds die and I'm feeling pretty confident, even though I've now got a major case of the sads. I continue south and enter kind of a redneck quadrangle, 4 houses arranged in a cross pattern with the center open, fenced in by barb wire cattle fence. As I reach the first house and zeds, quite a few, start coming out of the trees to the south. I decide to test my luck and see how many I can take down. After about 5 or so minutes of fighting, I've killed nearly 20. I go inside the nearest house and rest up, and get fed, as night is falling. I rummage around but find nothing new or interesting, not even a book. At some point during the night I glitch out and fall through the floor, doing "serious damage" to myself, but it's non-specific health damage. It heals fairly quickly after I rest.

Morning dawns and a few more zeds are outside. I quickly beat them down and set about looting the other houses. Still nothing new. No guns, no hammer. A few more zeds pop their heads out while I'm searching around and I clean house. I go back to the northern house to rest up.

I wake before midnight. All's quiet. Having nothing left to loot in this little patch, I decide it's time to head back to the farm house to unload and take stock. I step outside and it's pitch black. I turn on my flashlight but it seems to do diddly squat other than light up my character. I check and the batteries are low. I wonder if that has something to do with it. I stumble forward in the dark and see, vaguely, shapes moving. Realizing I have zero chance of getting through the trees in the dark, let alone with zeds around, I back up towards the house. Behind me I see more shapes moving. I wait for the first one and clobber it but see more advancing behind it. Realizing I can't kite in the dark, I run back into the house and slam the door behind me.

It's ultimately a futile gesture, as the windows are already smashed out. I back up the stairs and begin clobbering zombies as fast as I can swing my bat. More windows smash, untold numbers of zombies now entering the house, piling up so much they can't advance. I step forward and swing into the crowd, then step back, knocking a few down. I must have killed 10 by now. Somehow, probably a glitch, a zombie finally gets behind me and I get nibbled on, a scratch to the neck. Panicked I back up the stairs to the second level hallway, swinging as I retreat, I kill the few zombies that are following me and wait a moment. When no more advance I bandage up my neck and start creeping forward, swinging my bat blindly around the corner.

As I pass around the corner, the game freezes, never to respond. I imagine the sheer amount of gore and bodies I left behind on the first floor was too much for it.

In all the games of PZ I've ever played, this was by the far most exciting. I'm pretty sure the only reason I lasted as long as I did was ending up near the rural countryside, where I had a chance to get away from the near constant spawns. And there was a lot of running in the dark past god knows what (if anything), before finally getting back to the action. But they weren't lying, the world is now officially huge and seamless, and it's very easy to get yourself lost in.

So yeah. I think the game is pretty playable now, especially since you can finally return to games where you're on a not-dying streak. Unforunately there's still plenty of glitchiness to interfere with a successful game.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:38:00 pm by nenjin »

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 30, 2013, 11:18:56 am »

I think I might wait until they iron out a few of these wrinkles before dropping a few bucks into this. Definitely seems to be getting better, though.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 30, 2013, 11:54:29 am »

Definitely give this version at least a couple fixes. It's good but the crashes and bugginess will drive a new player insane.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 30, 2013, 11:59:11 am »

Yeah, sounds like it's just a bit too buggy to try playing again. Glad to hear they've been making improvements, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 30, 2013, 08:03:50 pm »

Signs you're becoming a zombie:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It was a pretty epic run. I'd shaken three to four major hordes, jumping between houses, hiding behind fences and trees and picking off the persistent ones, before sneaking back the direction I came from to get back into houses that looked promising. I'm starting to get pretty good at it. It's a mixture of persistence, execution and luck, but I've managed to duck hordes in as few as two houses before. You just gotta be ready for that one or two persistent bastards that keep after you...and be ready to run if you see the rest of the horde coming. Generally thought if you break LOS you lose the vast majority of zombies, because they'll follow each other in lieu of  you. That's why bailing through houses is so effective, it breaks LOS on most of the pack.

Anyways, things were going pretty well...until I opened a bathroom in what I thought was a secure house. I got mauled. I bandaged up and shrugged it off, continuing to run around, trying to find what looked like a good safehouse (protip: nothing in this version is a good safehouse. Hordes are random, so you're likely to wake up one morning with one beating on your door, or waiting for you to step outside.)

I bolt into a small 1-room house with a bathroom and start settling in for the night, putting up sheet drapes on the windows, ect...when I see I'm nauseous. I sleep, and wake up still feeling sick. I decide to take it easy for the day since all is quiet outside...but the nausea progresses to a fever and rapidly depleting health. Desperately I start eating everything I have to keep my health up but it's no good. Instead of lying there waiting to die, I run outside instead and start laying into zombies with my baseball bat. They eventually take me down, and I join them.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 08:07:57 pm by nenjin »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: May 01, 2013, 11:20:53 am »

New version should? drop today:

Salmon will take less time to be cooked.
    Passive skills gain and lose XP slower (no more going from strong to stout within 2 days)
    Crafting changes : Now clicking on 1 item will open all the crafting possibility, it'll display a tooltip where you can see the needed item for recipe.
    Fixed stout trait description.
    Disappearance of trait descriptions after being added and then removed fixed.
    Lowered the weight of cooking pot.
    Lowered weight of shotgun shells / pistol bullets.
    zombie awareness reduced a bit in daytime.
    zombie memory reduced slightly.
    Much less chance of being spotted when stood next to walls / full tile vision blocking stuff, extra bonus when sneaking. Sneaking around buildings and fences now the most valid strategy for avoiding attention. Will have sneak anims put in around this philosophy.
    Balanced loot times for small items. Stacks of nails / seeds etc now transfer super fast.
    Packing / unpacking time made longer by pack being near full.
    fixed barricade crash.
    Inventory panes will never remain scrolled more than items exist in window. (Fixes 'disappearing container items' bug which is actually it being scrolled beyond the bottom of the last item.)
    Zombie spawning bug potentially improved a lot. Possibly fixed but don't get your hopes up.
    Now saves sandbox options out properly.
    Fix to reloading (thanks Stormy!)
    Low density zombies on sandbox is now set lower.
    Zombie density on survival edged down a smidge more.
    Optimizations.
    Removed the tooltip in inventory when right clicking in it for better visibility.
    Balanced fitness/nimble xp gain.
    Removed some recipe who missing textures (farming stuff)

I've been a pretty big detractor of PZ, but I can say without qualification that this game is finally fun, in the rogue-like sense of the word. I've probably played 25 games now and keep wanting more. There's not a ton of extended gameplay beyond what you initially start with...but the balance in trying to survive is finally there. Being able to use windows and jumps fences means survival comes down mostly to skill and planning instead of 100% luck like previous versions.

While the game isn't so good I'd insist people pay for it...if you already have access to the game and haven't played in a while, this would be the build I encourage you to check out. Put another way, of all my wants for PZ, after this build the future really looks more about content development than system building and polishing. Finally.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: May 01, 2013, 01:44:17 pm »

So, I've been scoping this out and accounts from others seem to say that it's fun enough in this state to warrant buying. What do you guys think, should I get it?
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: May 01, 2013, 01:52:52 pm »

Just realize that a) there will still be lots of bugs b) not all the content is there and c) updates could be a looooooonnnnnggggg time in coming.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 39