Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31

Author Topic: Gentlemanne of Natural Philosophie!  (Read 43861 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gentlemanne of Natural Philosophie!
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:37:31 am »

You are a Fine Gentlemanne, learned in the ways of Natural Philosophie.
You find yourself in a predicament!

You have just returned from a brief staye in the North Werkshire Institute for Madmen, to find your humble estates in ruins!
It would appear that the Institute, as well as withdrawing your Licence to Science, took it upon themselves to repair the damage caused by your experiments with your money, and to dissemble your wondrous lab! On top of that, your family accountant appears to have absconded to the Colonies with most of your remaining wealth.
This shall not do!
This shall not do at all!!
In fact, you consider this an Injustice!!!
Indeed, this situation is such as to inspire a need for Vengeance!!!!
They called you mad! But you shall show them!! You shall show them all!!! Ahahaha!!!! AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

But firste, you must draft yourself a new License to Science, and build yourself a new lab. Fortunately, the Institute did not find your secret stash of Equipment and Books.
Now, before you put your pen to paper, what was your primary Scientific Interest again?

Spoiler: Your Various Things (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Your Fine Inventions (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Your Many Learnings (click to show/hide)

EDIT: A list of notable points in your career:
It begins (with Etheric Sciences, Steamworks, Physics and Alchemistry): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=56372.msg1225886#msg1225886
A letter is received. (Magical Pain gun get, Fertility Ritual cast, Steam pump make): http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=56372.msg1231550#msg1231550
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:03:45 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Gentlemanne of Natural Philosophie!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:48:58 am »

Studies of the paranormal.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:01:41 am »

ethric sciences (magic)
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 10:16:49 am »

Studies of the paranormal.
Alas, what is paranormal, in a world in such doubts as to the nature of normality? Who knows what studies shall be shown to be hocum in future times, and which will remain pillars of knowledge?

(Paranormal is too vague. Try again)

ethric sciences (magic)
Ah, to study those men who claim themselves mages, sorcerers, and wizards! Yes, behind their muttered words and wild gestures a pattern resides, which can be deciphered by men of great intellect, and used to tap into those mysterious powers that grace the world.
Through Etheric Sciences you unlock the essential nature of 'Magic'. You can then use this knowledge to design your own 'Spells' and 'Enchantments'. At low levels, you will be able to replicate the effects of minor spells (despite you not being a wizard). As you gain levels, you will learn to design your own, simplifying them all the while until even machines can use them. Etheric Sciences combines well with other disciplines as an enhancement or even source of power (at higher levels).
But be warned! Use of Magic is forbidden by the Crown and the Church, and other Scientists will not respect you if you use it lightly! So either disguise it as science, or don't use it in public.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:24:26 am by NUKE9.13 »

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:26:10 am »

Then we study ghosts and other otherworldly beings. ;)

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 10:30:34 am »

Why, of course, I study none other than the control of invertebrates of all sorts, and its many varied applications!

That blasted institute must have accidentally loosed the blast termites!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 10:34:23 am by Samthere »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 11:22:52 am »

Then we study ghosts and other otherworldly beings. ;)
Lo, in all legends one finds such creatures- such creatures as clearly do not belong! Spirits, demons, and mischievous critters! Insubstantial as mist, gone in the sunlight, dismissed by many as naught but the products of a fevered mind- but no Scientist can be so easily swayed! Study their nature and reveal their secrets, and if bound they can be, bind them to your will!
The study of Incorporeal Entities grants access to and control over a host of otherworldly beings. At the lowest level one can perhaps summon a lousy poltergeist to haunt your home- weak, but nevertheless useful in scaring off investigators from the Institute. As one gains more experience, more advanced spirits can be summoned and controlled. Additionally, Incorporeal Entities allows you to make deals with demons- the higher your level, the better the deals.

Why, of course, I study none other than the control of invertebrates of all sorts, and its many varied applications!

That blasted institute must have accidentally loosed the blast termites!
That is overly specialized!
Perhaps you would be interested in Medicine or Zoology instead?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 11:28:23 am »

I say, a quite especial fancy of ours, upon a time as a young boy, was the Transmutation of some Element into another, with the aid of various distillational agents and tools. Ah, to play the old "Tea to Coca" gambit again!

> Transmutation
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 11:40:49 am »

I vore etheric sciences.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 12:00:23 pm »

I say, a quite especial fancy of ours, upon a time as a young boy, was the Transmutation of some Element into another, with the aid of various distillational agents and tools. Ah, to play the old "Tea to Coca" gambit again!

> Transmutation
Alchemistry! Such wonders! In days of yore men sought to transmute lead into gold, or find some cure for death- a goal that still many pursue. But truly, to practice the art of Alchemistry is in itself a wondrous goal. With beakers and pestles and rods of elektrik we can turn water into fire. Kings who once sought gold and long life will now pay for a finer gunpowder or more powerful explosive from the labs of a skilled Alchemist.
Alchemistry is good for weapons; all kinds of explosive material can be made by the proper application of Alchemical Principals. Additionally, Alchemistry can be used to make materials for use in inventions; strong alloys, special crystals, ect. Note that Alchemistry is almost only practising at a low level- unless you already have access to cool chemicals. At mediumish levels you can make said chemicals yourself.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 12:05:09 pm »

Dear sir, I have studied zoology in plentiful amounts; indeed, I consider myself rather an expert.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 12:06:58 pm by Samthere »

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 12:15:12 pm »

2 to ethric sciences (magic)
1 to zoology
1 to paranormal Studies
2 to Alchemistry
1 to steam
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:33:20 am by maxicaxi »
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 12:30:02 pm »

Indeed, dear sir, I have studied zoology in plentiful amounts; indeed, I consider myself rather an expert.
Zoology! Who should wish to study Incorporeal creatures, when those corporeal are strange enough? Oftentimes a young Scientist will make a name for himself by sailing to the Colonies and studying the myriad of strange lifeforms that inhabit those exotic lands. From such a selection one can find a creature to do anything- a plant to cure every ailment, a poison to kill every king.
Zoology allows one to identify lifeforms, extract substances from them, and (with higher levels) modify them. Low levels allow work with local (old world) creatures. As one gains experience, more exotic creatures can be worked with. Note that exotic creatures must either be purchased from samplers, or one must spend a few months on a sampling trip of one's own.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 12:44:14 pm »

More votes for the paranatural ghost stuff!

We all wanted to be Faust at one point in our life.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 09:31:15 am »

bump
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31