Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 244

Author Topic: The Forgotten Art: Approaching the Nexus  (Read 254328 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: The Forgotten Art: Disgust and Confusion On The Wizardly Way
« Reply #2790 on: September 04, 2014, 11:07:55 am »

Larry walked back on the door and knocked on it.

"Hello?  This is Larry again, from the other day?"

The door opens, and in it stands Sherry from the other day, looking to be in a rather terrible state of well-being.

"What?" she asks peevishly, bleary-eyed and wearing a bathrobe. "Who? What do you want?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: September 04, 2014, 11:58:02 am »

Larry waves.  "Hey, this is Larry, we met at the bar the other day; remember Halesey?  I was his friend.  Say, is your buddy the uh... green guy who likes pancakes around?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: September 04, 2014, 01:19:36 pm »

Leyline?!

Emit Scandalous Dentists and dive down into the sewers, ignoring that I'll likely get stuck in the manhole!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: September 04, 2014, 02:05:50 pm »

Larry waves.  "Hey, this is Larry, we met at the bar the other day; remember Halesey?  I was his friend.  Say, is your buddy the uh... green guy who likes pancakes around?"

"Green guy? What green guy? Were you, like, that guy? The one I met at the..."

A horrid possibility dawns on her mind.

"Oh crap, nothing happened between us, right?"

She doesn't seem to have quite acknowledged the crux of your question.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: September 04, 2014, 02:16:26 pm »

"Nah, nah.  You passed out, and your buddy got you in bed.  Is he around?  The green guy?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: September 04, 2014, 02:29:37 pm »

"Nah, nah.  You passed out, and your buddy got you in bed.  Is he around?  The green guy?"

"Oh, thank god," she says, visibly relieved. "And I still don't know who the green guy is. What green guy?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: September 04, 2014, 02:36:55 pm »

"You know, green, likes pancakes, doesn't wear clothes?"

Larry scratches his head for a second.  What had he said...

"Might have been a friend of your roommate?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: September 04, 2014, 02:58:22 pm »

"You know, green, likes pancakes, doesn't wear clothes?"

Larry scratches his head for a second.  What had he said...

"Might have been a friend of your roommate?"

"A friend of Frankie's? Crap, I'll go check, I guess..."

She walks off for a moment, leaving the door open. A few moments pass, and she returns.

"Alright, she's not here and the guy you're looking for is not here, either. Where'd you see him, again?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: September 04, 2014, 03:14:59 pm »

"He was in your place reading the paper, and about to make pancakes.  He was kinda obvious."

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: September 04, 2014, 03:28:27 pm »

"He was in your place reading the paper, and about to make pancakes.  He was kinda obvious."

"Huh. That was right before I fell asleep, right? I think I crashed pretty hard right before that. Maybe I should call Frankie. Maybe she knows what the hell you're talking about, or something."

She walks off a moment, then comes back with her phone to her ear.

"Come on, pick up... okay! Hey, Frankie! Where are you?"

A moment's pause. Sherry's face becomes a bit grim.

"Where?"

Another pause.

"I said where! Where are you?... what do you mean, you're not sure? You see any green guys?"

Her face turns doubtful.

"Tom? I don't know his name. Is he green?... uh-huh, with stripes. Likes pancakes?... yeah, okay. So, where are you now? You see any landmarks?"

She nods repeatedly.

"Any... street names, maybe?... no? Okay. When are you going to be back?"

The answer doesn't seem hopeful. A minute or so passes, and Sherry hangs up.

"Yeah, she's with a green guy, striped, name of Tom. I think there's trouble. She's hallucinating. Well, I think. She says Tom is real, but other things aren't, and that the streets are melting or some shit. I think she's high as a kite. Maybe still drunk. Probably went off and had fun without me while I was out."

She ponders this for a moment.

"... mm-hm, yeah, that's not good. She's not from here. I have to find her. Who is this fucking green guy, anyway? Frankie says he's with her or something. It's hard to tell."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2800 on: September 04, 2014, 03:33:00 pm »

Larry scratches his head again.  "Not sure, but I mentioned him to... a buddy, and he wants to meet him.  Any idea where they are?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: September 04, 2014, 03:42:47 pm »

Larry scratches his head again.  "Not sure, but I mentioned him to... a buddy, and he wants to meet him.  Any idea where they are?"

"Dunno. Like I said, she's high. Really high. So I bet she's probably out on the streets someplace, causing trouble or whatever."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: September 04, 2014, 10:13:29 pm »

Useless woman.  Well, whatever; this was his in to the angel goodness.  "Alright, let's go then."

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: September 06, 2014, 07:45:36 pm »

"I can make it bigger for you. Here, watch. It's not like this place can get worse than it already is."

Cast Pit of Blue Skeletons on that place near the manhole John indicated.

Spoiler: Eta (click to show/hide)

"Oh, deary me, you're going to do something dangerous, aren't you? Awww, shit."

Quickly stand back from the manhole, pull Dave and Menkau with me to a safe distance.

"Hey, Menkau" John whispers to his bovine friend after they've moved away a bit "Do you know these people? What are they even doing here?"

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: September 07, 2014, 03:57:19 am »

Dave, dissatisfied at the fragility of his train of thought, tries once more to imagine the world he wants to put in place, only in three dimensions at first. It's a little easier to think of it all this time, and he manages to figure out a general picture of what he wants - a little underwhelming, one might think, if not for the fact that he's trying to figure out an entire planet. So right now he sticks to the basics, to make losing track a little more difficult.

Halesey does not miss a single beat despite his immobilization, immediately choosing to demonstrate his powers to this awful man who seems to insist on doing bad things to him for the sake of material wealth. Perhaps the majesty of the potato will move him when it has been rightly enchanted?

"Yea, for check out the power of the Potato God, Unbeliever! Submit!"

[Halesey's affinity roll: 5+1]

The immovable potato nearest his nose suddenly becomes golden brown and smooth, and it also begins to emit a very sweet smell that make Halesey feel a bit hungry. Smells like caramel, he thinks.

"Oh god. Can't I just die now?" the mafioso wonders. "Or at least exist elsewhere?"

Eta, feeling the need to be helpful to others, especially when a leyline is involved, offers John some help.

"I can make it bigger for you. Here, watch. It's not like this place can get worse than it already is," she says, extending her hand toward a point on the ground near the manhole.

"Oh, deary me, you're going to do something dangerous, aren't you? Awww, shit," John says, retreating from the soon-to-be disaster area and pulling Menkau and James with him.

"Hey, Menkau," he whispers to his otherworldly companion. "Do you know these people? What are they even doing here?"

"Well, they were here to investigate rumors of Mr. and Mrs. Lee's deaths, but mainly to find the leyline, I think. Wizards, all of them. Most of a semi-kindly disposition, several with ulterior motives. Not trustworthy people, mostly, but they seem to be helping now, don't they?"

"I'm... not sure I like the way this is developing," James says. "There's many of them already. Are more going to come?"

"If I had to guess, yes! Oh hey, look, she's letting loose a spell!"

[Eta's affinity roll: 5+1]

Menkau points at Eta, who seems to have just conjured a pit on a particular spot. The entirely wrong spot, John notes, not where the tunnel is at all, but rather on the side of the street. Maybe she doesn't know any better, he thinks as he hears a set of burst water pipes begin to fill the newly created hole. He then looks over the other wizards. One woman dressed like a stereotypical art teacher seems to be eating a donut absently. That... wait a minute, there's the ginger guy. The custodian guy! That asshole! Hasn't recognized John yet, it seems. And there's Shauna and Raven, in slightly different clothes. As well as a crazy-looking dude examining the newly-created pit. And also a fat guy who's obviously up to no good. And finally, the really drunk girl.

"You missed the sewer, Eta! You missed the whole dang sewer!" she says, laughing to herself.

The fat guy, THE DUNKER, seems about to do something extraordinary, as he immediately runs toward the open manhole, seemingly intent on jumping in.

[THE DUNKER's affinity roll: 1-->5+2]

And jump in he does, along with a slight curse as he seems to fumble some sort of spell, which is probably for the best, really, considering the expected utility of casting spells while falling down into a pit.

[THE DUNKER's body roll: 4-1]

And though John does not see it, the man lands in sewage rather roughly, a powerful splash of waste ruining his suit as he lands on his sizable rump, bruising his tailbone very painfully. He nearly gets stuck on the way down, to say nothing of the darkness, incredibly awful smell and really narrow tunnels down here. However, THE DUNKER immediately realizes that the man topside wasn't lying - he can definitely sense a leyline here. He has a direction down and everything.

Larry is, as is typical, slightly disappointed with the terrible uselessness of dear old Sherry, but supposes that she's the only lead he's got, and opts to follow her.

"Alright, let's go then."

"Hold on, need to get dressed," Sherry says, and walks off. It takes her about fifteen minutes, much to Larry's displeasure, but she eventually turns up, dressed entirely differently from yesterday, wearing a coat and a hat. And it is only then that they head out, walking right out of the W7000 and into the streets of the city.

"Okay... so, what's our first move? Local bars, I guess? I dunno. Maybe a club? Though those are probably closed. Huh. Maybe she's just out on the streets somewhere? Not a lot of people out at this hour," she says, walking purposefully down the street, Larry needing to quicken his pace to keep up. "Maybe I need to- oh, wait! The green guy's with her, right? Tom?" she turns back toward Larry. "Maybe I can call her, she picks up and I ask her to put that green dude on the line, and then you talk to him? Unless he's completely stoned as well. I dunno. Any ideas?"
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 244