Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566628 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1155 on: September 13, 2010, 10:06:40 pm »

I'd love to be able to be ambushed by raiders or bandits in Fort mode. That would be really fun.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: September 14, 2010, 03:41:54 pm »

Yeah, an organized group of people who want nothing more than your money...

It would be better than kobolds, especially if bandits don't get [TRAPAVOID].
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: September 14, 2010, 07:31:08 pm »

So, they would come in with bags, path to a stockpile full of finished goods, and then take whatever they can shove in the bag?  That would be awesome!  Especially if goblins started doing a similar thing in addition to their myriad other ways to bother players.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: September 14, 2010, 07:43:49 pm »

Those artifact booby-traps will be even more useful now... (door holding back magma positioned such that it needs to be opened to get to the artifact)

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: September 14, 2010, 11:22:52 pm »

So, they would come in with bags, path to a stockpile full of finished goods, and then take whatever they can shove in the bag?  That would be awesome!  Especially if goblins started doing a similar thing in addition to their myriad other ways to bother players.

It would be like current thief invasions, except instead of a single robber, there'd be an entire ambush squad pathing to the rarest item in your fort.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: September 15, 2010, 05:19:52 am »

I'd suggest bandits have a random priority list for their objectives and work their way down that list depending on whether there is a way to path to it. (it not being in a fortress counts as a pathing fail.)
Were the pathing problems with (locked) doors, climbing and digging solved? (for invaders)
Priorities can have a value linked to pathing cost, as well as high pathingcost near any dwarf/tame critter and especially doors.

e.g. a gang is spawned on the side of your map. it decides it's priorities are {artifacts>food>finished goods>prisoners}, all artifacts are deep within the fort, behind many doors and past a multitude of dwarves, so it decides to raid the nearest food stockpile(sp), the nearer finished goods SP has a lower priority causing a higher overall pathing cost to make it appear further away.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #1161 on: September 15, 2010, 09:05:06 am »

Hopefully I'll be jumping back in to catch up on all the questions now that I'm out of my pre-release bubble.  Though if it is an explodey release, it might be a few days yet, he he he.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: September 15, 2010, 09:16:06 am »

... i need to adjust my inner "toady has released clock" i am roughly10minutes behind shedule. THanks toady!
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: September 15, 2010, 10:30:45 am »

I knew something good happened. I was overcome by this inexplicable satisfaction about ten minutes into my calculus class.

EDIT: Toady, adamantine's impact/compression/shear/torsion/bending/tensile yield/fracture values have been changed to 5000000 from their original 4000000. This makes adamantine impossible to mine. Was this intended and if so, was there going to be another tag to make slade unminable?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 01:55:36 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: September 15, 2010, 02:27:31 pm »

Aah, the truetype font support~
I shouldn't be asking more questions specially when there's some long line, but...
Will it be possible to have, with truetype fonts enabled, support to avoid fonts resizing when zooming? I'd like the map to get smaller/bigger, but the text to remain static.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: September 15, 2010, 03:16:05 pm »

Hopefully I'll be jumping back in to catch up on all the questions now that I'm out of my pre-release bubble.  Though if it is an explodey release, it might be a few days yet, he he he.

Yeah Toady's releases tend to be a bit unstable.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: September 15, 2010, 04:07:40 pm »

Ok, what can I say... I really dislike the sprawl thing. Dunno if its actually the cause of it, but genning a 65x65 world in .13 takes nearly triple the time it did for me in .12(about 5 minutes to 15 almost 20) with the same settings. Though I can probably fix that with shorter gens, no more 500 to 1000 year old worlds for me, unfortunately. Also the sprawl just covers so much territory, while there was still plenty left and I could probably find a decent site on the leftovers if I had tried, but it was a bit exasperating.

I guess I just don't like worlds genned in .13. So here comes a question since I know that this is a major change and dunno if prior versions would be fine in this one. Could I gen worlds in .12 and use them in .13 without any ill-effects and sprawl magically appearing?

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: September 15, 2010, 04:35:28 pm »

From what I recall, yes, you can actually do that. But only with fortress mode. Adventure mode supposedly doesn't work very well this way. The spawls do indeed cause a massive lag to world genning as well as waiting for things to load up. But I think I'll put my vote in as well as request for a lighter sprawl load. To allow more areas to access and quicker loading. (Not that I mind it now, it would just make things easier.)
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: September 15, 2010, 05:45:56 pm »

I'd think the incredable slowness would go away eventually since the sprawl is just one step towards that goal...

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1169 on: September 16, 2010, 08:32:38 am »

And thats worldgen time. You only do that very infrequently, so it taking even an hour or two isn't a big deal. Remember, the end goal is that you don't gen new worlds every game, but keep re-using the same one.

If you have too much civilization, perhaps you can turn down the number of starting civs? would that make the area covered by civ smaller? Otherwise, a shorter history might actually help you here too, by giving less time for expansion.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 342