Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566117 times)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1320 on: October 09, 2010, 02:36:58 pm »

is it planned for it to be possible for Nightcreatures to sometimes retain a connection to their original lives beyond just history trivia? Perhaps enough to allow conversation, perhaps just enough to bias its actions regarding people or civilizations it used to know?

I think it's okay for hags to completely forget about their past. On the other hand, werewolves are particularly nasty in some readings because they DO remember relationships, and will hunt and eat those that it had a strong connection to (either love or hate). More tragic are those who are only partially transformed... for they remember, still love, but fear being remembered in their hideous appearance.

As long as all three types of memory are supported, I'll be happy. Let hags/trolls forget entirely, werewolves remember and devour, and something else remember and regret.

In all three cases, of course, the human family should remember the one changed. Perhaps they don't know exactly what happened, but they'll know he/she is gone missing (or suspect something is going wrong for a werewolf).

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: October 09, 2010, 04:44:22 pm »

I would be very pleased to see the fair folk and their kin in Dwarf Fortress

How are the elves not this? Admittedly, they don't do any babysnatching nor try to mind control dwarves with their charm, but they are still thin, prissy, wood-using cannibals (who try to mind control players with their charm).
Elves may be cannibalistic forest-dwellers, but when it comes right down to it, they're just an odd sort of folks. Fairies would have their rules and pacts and stories, and would have all sorts of forms based on thought and they'd go into folks' dreams and all that. They'd also have their palaces and lodges and kingdoms, which you can only enter by going through a certain door at a certain time, and all that other fun stuff.

I suppose a full implementation of them would be a considerable amount of work with little other yield, but considering the weirdness that Toady can get in other areas, often without even meaning to, it would probably be quite rewarding.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: October 09, 2010, 07:00:13 pm »

As long as all three types of memory are supported, I'll be happy. Let hags/trolls forget entirely, werewolves remember and devour, and something else remember and regret.

As will I. Indeed, having all three of them supported makes for better stories than any one by itself, since you won't necessarily know which one is operative when you set out to deal with the half-human beast that's been seen skulking around the outskirts of town. :)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: October 09, 2010, 07:48:24 pm »

Some people might even choose to become night creatures for one reason or another.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: October 09, 2010, 08:18:25 pm »

Elves may be cannibalistic forest-dwellers, but when it comes right down to it, they're just an odd sort of folks. Fairies would have their rules and pacts and stories, and would have all sorts of forms based on thought and they'd go into folks' dreams and all that. They'd also have their palaces and lodges and kingdoms, which you can only enter by going through a certain door at a certain time, and all that other fun stuff.

Okay, fair enough. I typically associate the term fair folk with elves, and not so much fairies, but I see your point.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: October 09, 2010, 09:56:45 pm »

Some people might even choose to become night creatures for one reason or another.

Depending on what the transformation does, I expect some players out to genocide the world will seek it out.  Though with my luck, if I tried, I would end up in a relationship with a creature that feeds its mate to its child.  Wouldn't that be !!FUN!!
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: October 10, 2010, 12:10:01 am »

Okay, fair enough. I typically associate the term fair folk with elves, and not so much fairies, but I see your point.
The distinction between fairies and elves is pretty vague in the first place. Elves, when they're not the skinny woodsy folks we hear about these days, are basically just fae things of a certain physical shape and a tendency to value beauty. "Fairies" is just a etymological variant of "Fair folk", when it's not used to mean those little flower people with butterfly wings. I think we should eventually have all sorts of fae beings, regardless of their physical build. Of course, physical build is pretty significant in DF, but fairies can be generated randomly. Actually, come to think of it, most of their behaviors should be pretty easy to model; they could be in the game in a very limited fashion pretty soon. But hidden places and dream stuff might be incompatible with the way the worlds are modeled for the foreseeable future.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: October 10, 2010, 12:12:24 am »

Depending on what the transformation does, I expect some players out to genocide the world will seek it out.  Though with my luck, if I tried, I would end up in a relationship with a creature that feeds its mate to its child.  Wouldn't that be !!FUN!!

Or one that has unexpected sexual dimorphism. With Nightcreature properties we could mod in the full life cycle of Dragon Age's Darkspawn. :)

First day, they come and catch everyone...

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: October 10, 2010, 12:14:55 am »

Hah, the new "night creature transformation", if there's an ability to make more than one "mate" through modding, will bring us a long-wanted ability to make real zombie mods!

I love you. Will we see "Deon's Zombie Madness Mod" in the future?

*Goes off to think about zombies in DF*

My fiancée has suggested "Resident Evil: The Short Version."

Get it?  Get it?

--Rexfelum

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: October 10, 2010, 12:50:14 am »

It is rather true that this brings us very close to full on curses including zombies and zombie infestations.

I better ask Toady about that later, but for now I am not going to add to his workload  :P (Self-imposed limitation on how many questions I can ask Toady in betwee answer sessions)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: October 10, 2010, 01:05:50 am »

Yeah, I suspected that the night creatures arc might even see some of the first few forays into the good/evil region expansion.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: October 10, 2010, 01:08:45 am »

Yeah, I suspected that the night creatures arc might even see some of the first few forays into the good/evil region expansion.

Hopefully with the potential where entire cities and civilisations can be converted to monsterism.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: October 10, 2010, 01:21:52 am »

Hopefully with the potential where entire cities and civilisations can be converted to monsterism.
It seems unlikely to me, at least at first. That's not what Night Creatures are for, thematically. Though the possible link between night creatures and goblins (just based on the old stories) might indicate some sort of potential there.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: October 10, 2010, 01:22:52 am »

But it can't be too far away and admittingly the potential for it to happen would be great.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: October 10, 2010, 01:56:12 am »

sadly that happen atm only in wg.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 342