Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566114 times)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1695 on: November 03, 2010, 07:42:38 pm »

Probably not, since punching a guy in the knee does jack in the current version.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: November 03, 2010, 08:08:56 pm »

How have fistfights been affected by this change, now that we can box people in the head?

The problem with this right now is that there's no issue of minor brain damage, the type you see in an actual fistfight. In other words, punching a guy in the head in DF doesn't make them stagger around or get disoriented like it does in real life; the only damage you can do to a brain is very severe damage. In fact, I've never seen non-fatal brain damage in DF except for possibly syndromes, and also that one time I managed to get a dwarf's brain to burn slightly.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

TKTom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: November 03, 2010, 09:34:55 pm »

How have fistfights been affected by this change, now that we can box people in the head?

The problem with this right now is that there's no issue of minor brain damage, the type you see in an actual fistfight. In other words, punching a guy in the head in DF doesn't make them stagger around or get disoriented like it does in real life; the only damage you can do to a brain is very severe damage. In fact, I've never seen non-fatal brain damage in DF except for possibly syndromes, and also that one time I managed to get a dwarf's brain to burn slightly.

Really? I'm pretty sure I've seen a lot of blunt hits to the head cause stun effect.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: November 03, 2010, 09:55:17 pm »

Yea I think I've also seen headstrikes stun without actually damaging the brain.  Or at least I'm fairly certain I have.  I have seen the stun status effect in fortress mode without a fall being involved which leads me to think it's the case.

All the knockouts however all included brain damage and killed in my experience though.  The only time I've ever seen anything come up with unconscious is when they are asleep or when their brain has just been turned into a thin paste all over the surroundings.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: November 04, 2010, 12:02:57 am »

Don't forget pain. But I do seem to recall punching someone in the head and having them become unconscious for a brief period in the arena. I could be wrong though. We'll know for sure once the release hits.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: November 04, 2010, 12:10:06 am »

Theres also no swelling or torn skin from blunt trauma iirc thus you opponent cant be blinded byhis own blood or his eye swollen shut.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: November 04, 2010, 01:48:48 am »

Theres also no swelling or torn skin from blunt trauma iirc thus you opponent cant be blinded byhis own blood or his eye swollen shut.
Man, this post reminded me of one of those reasons why I love DF.

Arihim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: November 04, 2010, 05:10:55 am »

smacking a guy in the head when you want to are cool but any additions only excite me in so much as they lead to the caravan arc being closer.
The big implication is that this will also apply to fortress mode - beating up an unconscious creature for months only to starve to death first will be a thing of the past.

Woah. So can we give our military instructions like "attack head first if possible" ?

Now that there is a rudimentary AI for aimed attacking: Will it be long before we can order dwarves to capture enemies rather than kill them? i.e have dwarves attempt blunt strikes to the head and then cart off the unconcious foe to an empty cage?

I want this.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: November 04, 2010, 05:49:16 am »

"EVERYONE! THE HYDRA'S THIRD LEFT RIB IS THE WEAK POINT! CONCENTRATE FIRE ON MY MARK!"

Dwarf Picard!
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: November 04, 2010, 06:17:49 am »

"EVERYONE! THE HYDRA'S THIRD LEFT RIB IS THE WEAK POINT! CONCENTRATE FIRE ON MY MARK!"

Dwarf Picard!

Jeanluc the Pick of Cards, Expedition Leader
Mr. Dwarf, Militia Captain

That's all I've got.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: November 04, 2010, 06:30:24 am »

Rikker, Militia Commander (searching the dwarf language file came up with that. No analogue of William.)
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: November 04, 2010, 08:47:37 am »

With aimed striking we'll soon be able to play thieves in adventure mode without necessarily having to kill everything that stands in our way. You could surprise guards from ambush and (attempt) to incapaicate them with the flat of your blade before making off with the gem encrusted floodgate stuffed in your backpack. "Oh, look! It's Lanlar Sikel who robs from the rich to give floodgates to the poor! He's so gallant!"

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: November 04, 2010, 08:55:04 am »

You slap the Guard in the head with the side of your +iron shortsword+, driving the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
The Guard loses hold of the -bronze halberd-.
The Guard has become unconscious.
The Guard has been struck down.

edit: Now that we have true type support, is there any chance we could get the default tileset swapped out for a square one?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 01:22:04 pm by tfaal »

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: November 04, 2010, 01:22:54 pm »

Yes, those kinds of attacks are much more likely to be fatal than you might think.

Not that it matters with the current civilizations all being a hive mind which will immediately all start killing you the second you steal a sock.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: November 04, 2010, 01:25:37 pm »

Yes, those kinds of attacks are much more likely to be fatal than you might think.

Not that it matters with the current civilizations all being a hive mind which will immediately all start killing you the second you steal a sock.

[sarcasm]Yes, it is a pity DF is no longer in development and things never change.[/sarcasm]
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:43:06 pm by thvaz »
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 342