Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572056 times)

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1650 on: November 01, 2010, 09:38:08 pm »

Toady, with aimed attacks being added, could you consider adding some kind of upper-arm-covering plate armour?  Especially if enemies currently or will one day attack less-armoured parts, the big gap between gauntlets (which cover hands and lower arms) and breastplates (which cover just the torso) is a bit of a vulnerability, even with a mail shirt.

I know I can just add pauldrons to breastplates with the [UBSTEP:1] tag, or add vambraces/couter/rerebraces to gauntlets with [UPSTEP:MAX], but I'd prefer some official solution existed.  There were too many arena combatants losing arms at the shoulder before I realised that a full suit of plate had a gap!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: November 01, 2010, 09:44:40 pm »

I of course refer to the devlog, is the appropriate image.

My interest here is in how exactly the enemies pick the 'best' targets.
My assumption is that the attacks have a tendency to strike at [HEAD], [UPPERBODY] and [LOWERBODY] tagged body parts, and possibly throats as well (though this might fall under [HEAD] with the vanilla body constructs).
I presume in this case that the tendency to strike these tags will flow on into your non-aimed attacks in adventurer mode.
Since everything already has a relative size, I further assume that this also impacts the likelihood of attacks hitting.

How accurate is this?

Re-asked from http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69582.0

I'll also ask, are you planning to use creature variations to help with the stock night creature type creatures?
To clarify, let me give an example - the werewolf.
Werewolves may possess a syndrome that allows them to infect on a bite.
This syndrome would trigger a creature variation (possibly even delayed by time), which would add, remove or change tags on the base creature.

This would of course cause them to gain the syndrome causing bite as well.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 06:43:18 am by Captain Mayday »
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: November 01, 2010, 09:49:16 pm »

Is the difficulty of hitting the head hardcoded, defined in the raws, or the result of something else entirely?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: November 01, 2010, 10:45:10 pm »

^^I certainly hope you can't target the neck specifically, or that it's at least really hard to hit on a conscious foe (at least one with arms), because you can't really cover that. The same goes for your mouth, nose, and ears.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: November 01, 2010, 10:48:37 pm »

^^I certainly hope you can't target the neck specifically, or that it's at least really hard to hit on a conscious foe (at least one with arms), because you can't really cover that. The same goes for your mouth, nose, and ears.

Not that it negates your point, but that may be a bug.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: November 01, 2010, 10:56:57 pm »

Relsize for upper torso is 2000, same goes for lower torso. Head is 300.
Throat is quite a bit smaller.
Given the relsizes, it should be extremely difficult to strike the throat.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: November 01, 2010, 11:33:48 pm »

Well it isnt that indeep but calling a shot say for the brainstem trough the throat slightly angled upward (can even be done with a pen) as awesome as it is instant death. What i want to say: if somebody has the right anatomical (or martial arts) knowledge s/he could aim for inner organs especially - this would be truly awesome. This way we could learn Anatomics of different beings!
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: November 01, 2010, 11:58:53 pm »

Relsize for upper torso is 2000, same goes for lower torso. Head is 300.
Throat is quite a bit smaller.
Given the relsizes, it should be extremely difficult to strike the throat.

It should be assuming difficulty in attacking a body part is based directly and dynamically on size. Which is probably the best choice for now (until a probably reach system can be incoporated), but we really won't know that until Toady says so.

Well it isnt that indeep but calling a shot say for the brainstem trough the throat slightly angled upward (can even be done with a pen) as awesome as it is instant death. What i want to say: if somebody has the right anatomical (or martial arts) knowledge s/he could aim for inner organs especially - this would be truly awesome. This way we could learn Anatomics of different beings!

That's sort of overly specific, but I do find the idea of attacks on certain body-parts getting easier with experience interesting.

EDIT: Actually, I just thought of something else:
Do aimed attacks simply hit the target or miss entirely, or if they fail to hit the target might they still hit somewhere close by?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:04:08 am by Knigel »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: November 02, 2010, 12:38:25 am »

Do aimed attacks simply hit the target or miss entirely, or if they fail to hit the target might they still hit somewhere close by?

This was asked on the previous page:

And if you do miss a strike is there a chance of it hitting a nearby bodypart instead before it misses completely?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: November 02, 2010, 02:41:08 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Oh god, I already foresee awesome combo attacks! I will be able to play a real martial artist now :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: November 02, 2010, 03:22:22 am »

Okay, now I can't wait for this.

NERDGASM
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: November 02, 2010, 06:01:47 am »

Okay, now I can't wait for this.

NERDGASM

Ditto.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: November 02, 2010, 07:08:09 am »

The next thing to be worked on is the long-heralded Caravan Arc, a particularily significant bit of development because many, many other features need framework from the Caravan Arc before they can go in.

Castles and smacking a guy in the head when you want to are cool but any additions only excite me in so much as they lead to the caravan arc being closer.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: November 02, 2010, 09:14:50 am »

smacking a guy in the head when you want to are cool but any additions only excite me in so much as they lead to the caravan arc being closer.
The big implication is that this will also apply to fortress mode - beating up an unconscious creature for months only to starve to death first will be a thing of the past.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: November 02, 2010, 09:20:30 am »

Yep one more step towards martial arts is always good.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 342