Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566611 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2820 on: January 02, 2011, 04:35:27 am »

If you were trying to reword for clarity, I think you didn't really do so well here. I don't get what you're trying to say. But I have a strong suspicion that whatever you're asking about is something that has been happening for a while, we've just not seen the effects of it due to limited creature types.

Yes i dint understand it either. I think Neonivek means if 2 geographical independent places (island, Continents etc.) with the same biome will have different fauna and flora that can exist in this biome. Kinda like the northpole having Ice-bears while the Southpole has penguins (and gorgeous leopard seals that hunt them as food for Journalists that film them).

As for that you would need to calculate interconnectivity of such biomes and the mobility of theyr inhabitants. Most plants that dont have airborne seeds will not leap to other places, many mammals will not cross a mountainranges etc. .
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: January 02, 2011, 04:44:52 am »

I don't understand the question.  The spatial ranges of animals are a new addition for next time, but the regions always had different critters (when there were enough available to pick from).

Well I sort of meant if you would be allowing tracks of land more varieties of animals and have the selection of animals match their niches, size, and consumption types now that there is a huge influx of critters.

Also thanks again for answering out questions.
If you were trying to reword for clarity, I think you didn't really do so well here. I don't get what you're trying to say. But I have a strong suspicion that whatever you're asking about is something that has been happening for a while, we've just not seen the effects of it due to limited creature types.

Thus I give up

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: January 02, 2011, 10:32:47 am »

Thanks for answering the questions Toady!  So chickens and such will be using egg boxes?  That makes more sense than chickens just laying anywhere.  Guess that means the chickens will have better survival instincts than dwarves.

McHauler: That chicken just laid an egg in the rapidly filling magma channel!  I must get it to the food stockpile!

‼McHauler‼ cancels collect ‼Fried Egg‼; going to go get drunk.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: January 02, 2011, 01:35:00 pm »

I don't understand the question.  The spatial ranges of animals are a new addition for next time, but the regions always had different critters (when there were enough available to pick from).

Well I sort of meant if you would be allowing tracks of land more varieties of animals and have the selection of animals match their niches, size, and consumption types now that there is a huge influx of critters.

Also thanks again for answering out questions.

Thus I give up
I think I get what you're saying. Correct me if I'm wrong:

Are there any plans to incorporate more creature variance between different areas with the same biome? For instance, in a world with two tropical dry broadleaf forests, will they eventually support different wildlife from each other?

Also, new question:

With the continued addition of good/evil/savage/calm flora and fauna, is there any chance of eventually having good/evil/savage/calm minerals/soils? I know it would involve changing worldgen to determine surroundings before minerals, so how feasible is this?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: January 02, 2011, 02:42:18 pm »

With the continued addition of good/evil/savage/calm flora and fauna, is there any chance of eventually having good/evil/savage/calm minerals/soils? I know it would involve changing worldgen to determine surroundings before minerals, so how feasible is this?
It does seem like something that would naturally arise from the different grass types. But thus far, different types of grass are apparently very similar still, and soil doesn't inherit properties from things that die on it. This will likely remain unchanged until some farming rewrites, which I am pretty sure are not likely to be included in this update.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: January 02, 2011, 08:12:38 pm »

People are having too much fun speculating in that other thread for me to interrupt the process.

Man, I feel like a kid guessing about his presents before Christmas. Except that given the unpredictable nature of DF releases, I will most likely not know its coming!

It is fun, though. Anticipation is nearly as exciting as the Event itself.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: January 03, 2011, 08:55:22 am »

People are having too much fun speculating in that other thread for me to interrupt the process.

I laughed when I saw this. Bravo, Toady.

SSSOOOOO this has probably only been asked a million times before. I looked through two (?) dev pages but didn't see anything about it. Are there any long, LONG-term plans for any sort of multiplayer support? Hosting a server for multiple people to join? One player player Fortress Mode while the other plays a dorf? Two adventurers? I can't say that it would work really well (it doesn't look like it would) but it's fun to speculate about.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: January 03, 2011, 09:56:43 am »

Never. Not a chance. Not going to happen.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: January 03, 2011, 10:09:56 am »

That's what I figured.
But never say never. Remember all the main dev goals are the ones up til 1.0.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: January 03, 2011, 10:27:10 am »

In DF, nothing is ever 'never'. Everything is just a matter of time.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: January 03, 2011, 10:27:29 am »

That's what I figured.
But never say never. Remember all the main dev goals are the ones up til 1.0.
He's stated that his goal is to make a massively single player game due to the plethora of massively multiplayer ones.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: January 03, 2011, 10:32:26 am »

Massively singleplayer is what Spore billed itself as...
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: January 03, 2011, 10:33:29 am »

Shoddy DRM and limited contend killed spore.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: January 03, 2011, 10:35:08 am »

I don't think multiplayer will work, unless you change the game to real-time, which steals it from it's roguelike aspects. Or a turn-based game, but then you should just make a new game.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: January 03, 2011, 10:37:27 am »

Shoddy DRM and limited contend killed spore.

Yeah, seriously guys, no comparing DF to Spore. There's just no comparison.
I'm glad he's billing it as a massively singleplayer game. It allows more focus on content and less time troubleshooting whining people who want to make a server and don't know how to port forward.

I don't think multiplayer will work, unless you change the game to real-time, which steals it from it's roguelike aspects. Or a turn-based game, but then you should just make a new game.

Or you could just have each tick/turn end when all players have made an action. But then that would be very slow. And not fun.
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 342