Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566627 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3300 on: January 31, 2011, 10:40:53 pm »

Bodily fluids in rocks.

Think pressure. Now think oil/petroleum/gas. That is all.

Will we have oil/gas in rocks sometime?
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: January 31, 2011, 10:56:23 pm »

I remember the reason we didn't have oil, aside from the whole "no internal combustion engines" thing, was that fluids (and specifically, fluids that can mix and occupy the same tile at the same time, unlike magma and water, which explode and create obsidian, instead) would cause plenty of headaches to code, so it was being put off.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: January 31, 2011, 10:56:57 pm »

think natural gas shale and how [sarcasm] good and clean it is without damaging nature [/sarcasm]. Problem is that the fluidsystem needs to be reworked to achive 2 things:

1. it has to be faster

2. it needs to support more fluids

and btw. for gas from shale thing i recommend the documentation "Gasland". Seriously if you can light the water from your water-tap on fire because its mixed with natural gas something must have gone really wrong.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: January 31, 2011, 11:09:09 pm »

Seriously if you can light the water from your water-tap on fire because its mixed with natural gas something must have gone really wrong RIGHT.

Fixed that for you.

Yeah, fossil fuels beyond coal are a popular suggestion, even appearing in the original Underground Diversity thread. Be fun to have, but difficult. That said, we're starting to get close. With things like rocknut oil going in, it's easy to see the possibility for flaming oil traps go in (and let's face it, that's what we really want crude oil for).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: January 31, 2011, 11:41:51 pm »

Do flys even have brains? iirc they and many other insetcts have a ladder nervesystem that does all the stuff.

Insects have brains, they're just a lot different than ours.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: February 01, 2011, 01:56:42 am »

Heh thanks  ;D should have used "the other wiki" before stating such bs.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: February 01, 2011, 09:06:58 am »

Then again, I've always hated everything ever called a "delicacy", and always thought they were just scams to get people to pay outrageous sums of money to eat stuffed mice or snails or something.

This is pretty much correct.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: February 01, 2011, 09:20:49 am »

Then again, I've always hated everything ever called a "delicacy", and always thought they were just scams to get people to pay outrageous sums of money to eat stuffed mice or snails or something.

This is pretty much correct.

Actually, eatin' snails are really really good.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: February 01, 2011, 09:41:25 am »

And not outrageous at all, really. They can be expensive in restaurants because they're a French dish and in most parts of the US the only French places are pretty fancy. But you can make them at home for cheap; it's just garlic and butter and you can reuse the shells.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: February 01, 2011, 10:16:44 am »

Um.... you'll need some vineyard snails as well. :p

so-called delicasies are most often an acquired taste...
Some like their meat raw, some dont want any at all.

such preferences can be lost too, for instance I used to love strong smelling cheezes, yet I can't stand the smell of most cheeses anymore even (real)butter smells awful, this may be traced back to a very bad experience with cheese fondue, I think.

The real scam is articles made of only water and flavouring, for instance, that claim to contain 0% fat and/or sugar. I rage at supermarket coolers that contain in excess of twenty types of yoghurt (not counting flavoured ones) yet all are these adulterated 'Fat Free', 'Diet' or 'Light' mimics, forcing me to buy a very expensive double rich cream-like yoghurt, which is not good for me at all. 
:p
lol

snails are similar eating to bivalves.

I see no mention of parties, musical instruments or toys in the new short-term goals.
Are behaviours involving this type of item going to be put on hold, or will the new inns and such include them.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:39:31 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: February 01, 2011, 12:20:32 pm »

Musical instruments in a tavern... in a update that promises to have strangers wandering in to your fortress's inn, so that you have a bizzare cast of many different races, both furry and scaly, meeting at once in a place that could explode in violence any second.

Why do I suddenly start hearing the music from the Cantina from Mos Eisley in my head when I think about this?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: February 01, 2011, 12:22:46 pm »

Because you are a genius?
*Begins work on Star Wars mod*
*Hugs*

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: February 01, 2011, 12:58:17 pm »

Because you are a genius?
*Begins work on Star Wars mod*

We already  have the lightsabers! Except here they're called whips.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: February 01, 2011, 01:00:08 pm »

+Microcline Syrup+
I'm not sure letting dwarves outright eat the excess stone they generate is necessarily the way we want to send this game.

... "The rivers run with claret fine,
The brooks with rich canary,
The ponds with other sorts of wine,
To make your hearts full merry:
Nay, more than this, you may behold,
The fountains flow with brandy,
The rocks are like refined gold,
The hills are sugar candy." ...

There's more than one kind of fantasy world out there.  An Invitation to Lubberland dates back to at least 1685, and is in its own way pretty dwarfy.  I've thought for some time that once the right pieces were in DF, *building* Lubberland would be an epic megaproject.  You think you've got too many masterwork meals now?  Start building a town out of them! :)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: February 01, 2011, 01:27:10 pm »

Human 1: Look at him! The dwarf scout is headed for that mountain.

Human 2: I think we can catch him before he gets there... He's almost in range!

Human 3: ... That's no mountain... It's a fortress!

Human 2: It's too big to be a fortress.

Human 1: I've got a bad feeling about this.  I'm making a backup save so I can savescum back to this point later in case I get greased instead of you cannon fodder companions I picked up back at that last cantina.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 342