Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566621 times)

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3450 on: February 06, 2011, 02:44:43 pm »

Will we get working crutches in dwarf mode soon, either in this release or the next?  It's one of the biggest bugs yet to be squashed, and it seems particularly tragic that after you went to the work of implementing this cool and useful feature something continues to keep it from actually working.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: February 06, 2011, 03:26:13 pm »

It is not implemented. We have code for new skill, new item - but not for using it.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: February 06, 2011, 03:51:18 pm »

Works fine in adventure mode.  Just doesn't work in dwarf mode.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: February 06, 2011, 04:23:16 pm »

Works in Dwarf Mode too. Just only in certain situations. Pretty sure I saw a dwarf walking around with a crutch once after he broke his leg.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: February 06, 2011, 10:06:11 pm »

Will we get working crutches in dwarf mode soon, either in this release or the next?  It's one of the biggest bugs yet to be squashed, and it seems particularly tragic that after you went to the work of implementing this cool and useful feature something continues to keep it from actually working.
There going to be between 9-18 weeks of bug fixes after this release and the next one. So, probably soonishly.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: February 07, 2011, 07:13:47 am »

There going to be between 9-18 weeks of bug fixes after this release and the next one. So, probably soonishly.

Did you get that quite vague number from a reliable source ?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: February 07, 2011, 08:07:01 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

"Each release will be accompanied by a general bug-fixing period one to two weeks long where we'll be working on old issues from the bug tracker."
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: February 07, 2011, 10:11:52 am »

"Each release will be accompanied by a general bug-fixing period one to two weeks long where we'll be working on old issues from the bug tracker."

That means there will be one to two weeks of bug-fixing after the next release, not 9-18 weeks of uninterrupted bug-fixing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: February 07, 2011, 11:57:32 am »

I have trouble seeing how 1-2 weeks turns into 9-18 weeks, at that.  I hope there's a different source for that number.

Especially since 18 weeks is basically a third of a year.  Even if there are people clamoring for bugfixes with mounting frustration, I don't think the people who are waiting on what's on the devpage with baited breath will sit and quietly wait for four months to get some of the things they want, either. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: February 07, 2011, 12:06:12 pm »

9 Releases, with 1-2 weeks of bugfixing after each = 9-18 weeks of bugfixing in total.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: February 07, 2011, 12:21:17 pm »

Ahhhhh.  So we're not talking about "9-18 weeks of bug fixing", we're talking about about 9-18 weeks of bugfixing over the course of the Caravan Arc's "short-term goal" implimentation of 9 short-term implimentation projects which will also undoubtably take some time to code, which may take 6 or more months to actually get around to completing.

... Suddenly, this seems to be a much slower devpage than I had previously thought.  I had hoped we would get stacking/wheelbarrows within a couple years, but if this is the expected rate of progress down that list, Adventure Mode will be taking up most of the rest of the decade, won't it?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3461 on: February 07, 2011, 12:27:32 pm »

Then let's hope the bug-squashing will be extremely effective.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: February 07, 2011, 12:30:01 pm »

I don't think the two weeks of bugfixing will apply with the new, shorter, dev cycle. Toady has stated that there will be a big bugfixing push after the caravan arc.
*Hugs*

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: February 07, 2011, 01:09:59 pm »

I don't think the two weeks of bugfixing will apply with the new, shorter, dev cycle.
It is part of that dev cycle as per the dev page. That said, I would expect that the 2-week bugfix periods will be the minority, reserved for particularly stubborn bugs, so that Toady can get more releases out rather than fewer.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: February 07, 2011, 01:58:22 pm »

I thought the point of the new release cycle was just so we had something to play with, rather than waiting ages for a release?
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 342