Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566618 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4185 on: March 28, 2011, 05:36:43 pm »

Noble -> Diplomat -> Set policy to "Love It or Leave It"?  We can only wish, and also hope.  :D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: March 28, 2011, 06:27:28 pm »

Are Hill Dwarves going to be heavily agricultural as opposed to a largely industrial/military Mountainhome society? If my adventurer wanders into a Hill Dwarf settlement, will it be mostly brown smilies? And will fortress dwarves be largely grey/white/red?
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: March 28, 2011, 07:02:06 pm »

Are Hill Dwarves going to be heavily agricultural as opposed to a largely industrial/military Mountainhome society? If my adventurer wanders into a Hill Dwarf settlement, will it be mostly brown smilies? And will fortress dwarves be largely grey/white/red?

Protip: questions addressed to toady should be made lime green so he sees them, otherwise he'll skip it.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: March 28, 2011, 07:08:57 pm »

Noble -> Diplomat -> Set policy to "Love It or Leave It"?  We can only wish, and also hope.  :D
Hmm... That makes me think of the potential possibilities for immigration as well.  Might shift at some point of a fortress' life from random immigrants from the mountainhome to selected recruits from the surrounding hill-dwarf population.  That would be neat. 

Not to mention the fact that if player forts get hilldorf colonies around them, then adventuring to an abandoned fort would be extra neat. 

Man, so much cool stuff to look forward to. 
where is up?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: March 28, 2011, 07:38:57 pm »

Those all seemed like clear suggestions to me...  If you ask "will we ever get X" and it's related to something recently added or a planned feature on the dev log in a short-term way, then it's a suggestion, really.
This definition is somewhat imperfect. In its current state, it could apply to a fair few perfectly legitimate questions. Consider issues of phrasing. Suppose the questions had been as follows:

I've been thinking about water a lot lately. What is the future of fresh water bodies? Will we get the flooding of 2d back? Presumably if you did this in depth it would be weather-oriented and we could have wet and dry spells, but is weather likely to get that level of detail?
Also, will more realistic or at least more varied subterranean water go in with the mines coming up?
I'm thinking specifically of the return of the underground rivers, and ideally even rivers that could traverse different z-levels and breach the surface or caverns."

Then slap some limegreen on a couple of those sentances. It would at the very least appear to be perfectly legitimate, despite containing and requesting very similar sets of information.

I would like to know the answers to these, so lime'd.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: March 28, 2011, 07:48:31 pm »

I've always been struck by how migration is sort of all or nothing in the default version, so you're either getting slammed by waves of new migrants or getting none at all through a modified pop cap. Would Hill Dwarves coming in have any impact on the whole migrant situation?

There was something Toady said a few months ago about having dwarves that would emmigrate back out of your fortress if the economy went south on them... 

Let me see if I can find it...

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
Would you even consider changing the relationship that the player has with the dwarves right now (as unquestioned overlord and direct allower and denier of all things dwarves can and cannot do), so that dwarves can become more autonomous and individual, and possibly create a better simulation, while on the other hand, potentially dramatically upping the potential for Fun because dwarves are stupid and very likely to hurt themselves unless continually babysat, or perhaps more importantly, if it meant that the player had less direct control over his fortress, and had to rely more on coaxing the ants in his/her antfarm to do his/her bidding?

Our eventual goal is to have the player's role be the embodiment of positions of power within the fortress, performing actions in their official capacity, to the point that in an ideal world each command you give would be linked to some noble, official or commander.  I don't think coaxing is the way I'm thinking of it though, as with a game like Majesty which somebody brought up, because your orders would also carry the weight of being assumed to be for survival for the most part, not as bounties or a similar system.  Once your fortress is larger, you might have to work a little harder to keep people around, but your dwarves in the first year would be more like crew taking orders from the captain of a ship out to sea or something, where you'd have difficulty getting them to do what you want only if you've totally flopped and they are ready to defy the expedition leader.

Hmm... I remember it giving more of an impression that they'd actually just up and leave... Maybe there was a DF Talk where he said something along those lines, as well, but I can't remember good search terms to datamine from DF Talk, since he apparently didn't use words like "emmigrate". 

Anyway, I can't come up with good proof of it, but I recall Toady saying something else that gave an impression of having dwarves that would be willing to just up and leave for the hills in the villages around your fort if there were no rooms left or it was too expensive or the economy was bad and they couldn't get a job. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4191 on: March 28, 2011, 09:08:16 pm »

I've always been struck by how migration is sort of all or nothing in the default version, so you're either getting slammed by waves of new migrants or getting none at all through a modified pop cap. Would Hill Dwarves coming in have any impact on the whole migrant situation?

I hope so. It would be nice if instead of tantrumming, some dwarves would just left your fortress.

I hope you mean "try" to leave. Those deep moats, drawbridges draped in magma, and locked doors aren't just for keeping problems out.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: March 28, 2011, 09:23:59 pm »

OH MY GOD

Slow downs due to water freezing/thawing seem to be gone!  When did this happen??!
where is up?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: March 28, 2011, 09:34:02 pm »

Recently - 31.24.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: March 28, 2011, 09:41:22 pm »

OH MY GOD

Slow downs due to water freezing/thawing seem to be gone!  When did this happen??!

Dear lord, if this is true I may have to try a temperate/cold embark again. That was the biggest annoyance that kept me away.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: March 28, 2011, 10:17:46 pm »

Will the mounted combat rewrite slated for the seventh caravan arc release allow amphibious mounts to hold their riders above water when fording rivers/streams/lakes/oceans, or will that come in the army arc sometime?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: March 28, 2011, 10:37:13 pm »

Will the mounted combat rewrite slated for the seventh caravan arc release allow amphibious mounts to hold their riders above water when fording rivers/streams/lakes/oceans, or will that come in the army arc sometime?

Cf. 0000926: Amphibian invader mounts drown their riders

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: March 28, 2011, 10:49:36 pm »

Actually the very bug that made me ask it- I'm operating under the assumption that the reason it hasn't been addressed is because it will be resolved at the same time all the other mounted riding features get implemented. The reason I asked is because I'm not sure whether he's going to incorporate that kind of mount/rider relationship into the mounts rewrite in the (relatively) near future, or if it is going in with the advanced sieges and battles stuff in the army arc.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4198 on: March 29, 2011, 12:29:43 am »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #4199 on: March 29, 2011, 02:46:18 am »

It sounds like there are some geology changes anticipated in Release 2.  Is there anything that players could research that would be helpful?
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 342