Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566100 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4725 on: April 29, 2011, 03:16:02 am »

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have the dead rising from graves, but it seems rather odd that people under such threat would bury their dead to begin with, unless other methods of burial/disposal carry risks of their own. It's not an unanswerable question, and I think potential answers could be interesting.
Because other methods of burial/disposal carry risks of angry ghost.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4726 on: April 29, 2011, 03:21:52 am »

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have the dead rising from graves, but it seems rather odd that people under such threat would bury their dead to begin with, unless other methods of burial/disposal carry risks of their own. It's not an unanswerable question, and I think potential answers could be interesting.

Well, not incineration and slab engraving.

Also, iic, all you need to properly burry dwarf is one bodypart. One bone for example. Single bone becoming undead is not all that scarry. What's it going to do?

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: April 29, 2011, 04:29:03 am »

Also, iic, all you need to properly burry dwarf is one bodypart. One bone for example. Single bone becoming undead is not all that scarry. What's it going to do?
...bone everyone?
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: April 29, 2011, 04:54:26 am »

...bone everyone?
...this topic just turned waaaay strange.
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: April 29, 2011, 05:15:40 am »

Well, it could be troublesome if one bone came back from the dead, per tomb. Imagine if just the teeth come back. They could travel in packs, hopping, and swarming people until they suffocate.

And problematic for adventurers especially:
You hack the upper right canine in the upper right canine, chipping the bone! x9000

We'd truly be boned.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: April 29, 2011, 05:39:25 am »

Do the various under-city structures sometimes meet with the highest underground layer? If so, how common is it? And will Forgotten Beasts and other subterranean creatures eventually come up through such connections to live in sewers (and whatnot) or attack the town? It sounded like the first bit was a "yes" from the devlog, but I'd like confirmation.
On a similar, but ultimately separate note:
You didn't mention basements or cellars. Does that mean you weren't working on them, or were they just simple enough that they didn't contribute to the complications you mentioned?
It seems like it would be somewhat silly to include all the awesome fancy underground stuff and not include simple underground stuff too.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: April 29, 2011, 07:22:58 am »

I'm actually pretty sure that Toady mentioned that potentially even properly buried dead might rise as undead, so even incinerating and slabbing the dead might not be enough at some point. Might as well just bury them. I'm sure religion will also come into play with burial practices and the rising dead at some point later, perhaps even conflicting practices in a single religion depending on the deity - one god wants the dead being incinerated, another buried with all body parts, a third mummified, and whomever you followed most ardently is the one whose practices need to be used for proper burial.

As for a single bone is going to do - take up sorcery, and become a demilich. Find a few other likeminded bones, and form a cabal of demiliches that looks like a single skeleton. (Then throw dice at the DM for such a cheesy idea) ;)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: April 29, 2011, 07:34:06 am »

Well there are many good causes for undead to rise. Some versions of the legend of the Ankou for example say that he could raise the dead to guard theyr own graves from disturbance if the need arises. Given that the ankou itself is a rather powerfull undead on itself this isnt need most times
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: April 29, 2011, 08:13:03 am »

I feel a horrible, horrible need to hail the joke that went right over everyone's head.
I didn't speak out, because I wasn't a mermaid.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4734 on: April 29, 2011, 08:22:31 am »

I feel a horrible, horrible need to hail the joke that went right over everyone's head.
I didn't speak out, because I wasn't a mermaid.

First they came and made bone bolts
and I didn't speak out, because I wasn't a goblin.

Then they came and made totems
and I didn't speak out, because I wasn't a mermaid.

Then they came and made soap
and I didn't speak out, because I wasn't a forgotten beast.

Then they came and made dwarf leather backpacks
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: April 29, 2011, 08:32:20 am »

Do the various under-city structures sometimes meet with the highest underground layer? It sounded like the first bit was a "yes" from the devlog, but I'd like confirmation.
It's just as possible Toady was having to code defensively to stop them interacting.

I had to look up catacombs to see how it differed from dungeons.  Wikipedia's first paragraph had the phrase "Many are under cities and have been popularised by stories of their use as war refuges, smugglers' hideouts, or meeting places for cults."  So they could contain almost anything!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: April 29, 2011, 08:52:40 am »

Do the various under-city structures sometimes meet with the highest underground layer? It sounded like the first bit was a "yes" from the devlog, but I'd like confirmation.
It's just as possible Toady was having to code defensively to stop them interacting.

This sounded like a confirmation: "04/20/2011: With the construction of sewers drawing to an end comes the beginnings of catacombs. These will twist and turn and mix with other underground structures creating fertile ground for quests and adventuring."

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: April 29, 2011, 10:22:58 am »

I would like to see pics of these new features. I wouldn't criticize them unless they were really bad. :)

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: April 29, 2011, 11:35:52 am »

Yeah, I'd also like to see some pics, I guess toady will post some within the next update.

Also, would Toady accept contributions if somebody made code that can easily be integrated into DF? Like bitmap-outputting map generators(for example a tower/village/temple generators) or conversation AI algorithms?
I don't need a signature.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: April 29, 2011, 11:41:43 am »

No.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 342