Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678305 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #675 on: December 26, 2015, 08:10:08 pm »

As most Paradox games let you change which person/family/country/side you're playing on, this could be a fun little "game-mode".

Take control of the uplifted or gene-modded successor species and wreck the hell out of your former empire.

Could even work in MP as a restriction. Once you uplift a people, you have to play as them within a decade.

It's a kind of close similarity to CK2's children and succession system. Might be fun.

Now we just have to see if you can perma-ally with and crossbreed/gene-fuse species together so that not only can we make unholy abominations under God, we can replicate the marriage, birth and upbringing system (which apparently God likes, so it evens out).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 09:13:21 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 26, 2015, 08:35:47 pm »

Continuing the "Space Empire played as a CK2 character" thought, this means:

Most empires are female, or the alien'y equivalent.

Or possibly hermaphroditic, as you can apparently impregnate yourself and have children.

But it might have been science that actually got you up the duff. Science didn't use protection when it was with you either. Or bother paying maintenance. But it still does things for you like fix fences and make sure the electronics in your house all work.

Or did the Post-Sambos come from god? Immaculately. To wage war against the galaxy?

All reasonable views to RP a successor species in Stellaris.

It'll be good to see how deep the diplomacy system goes to see if there are family and marriage analogues in there. But if you view an empire as a noble from CK2, it's already looking deep (and possibly somewhat disturbing). Plus, you'll get to pick or make your own family, but it doesn't sound like you start out with relations.

It might not be too hard to force-gen "You are the Post-Post-Post-Foo, son of Post-Post-Foo, brother of Post-Post-Post-Foo2, great grandson of the Foo" in a mod, thereby giving you immediate "family" lines and relations already in place.

It depends on whether you can have more than one gene-modification event per race, or if you're stuck with one and then pre-sentients are your only outlet for more "family". I don't see why there'd only be one though. Dump some colonists on a world too hot for them, some on too cold, some on a high grav world, some on a high radiation world, and they'd all want to gene-mod themselves in different ways I'd expect. This actually makes the worlds themselves a "father" analogue for this scenario.

I wonder if there'll be any automatic bond or hate between any of the Foo line. And how many species you can uplift for family "lineages" of your race.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 09:14:06 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 26, 2015, 08:38:28 pm »

oooohhohoOOHOHOHOH
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 26, 2015, 08:47:33 pm »

It'll be a weird way of making designer babies too.

You can uplift a species, which makes them like the pre-sentient species, but better. But possibly tailored to be good at a specific task for you.

Or you can go trans-human(alien, whatever) and the kid will be like you, but better. But also like the world they came from.

So do you want the kid to take after you and their world, or the pre-sentient "daddy" and a job description? Your choice.

Then you switch to that race as soon as you can (you'll be trying to let them rebel/break free of your empire) and repeat the process.

Between dubiously applied eugenics and matricidal fervour, your "kids" eventually become the master-race, exactly as you want them to be.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 09:17:22 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 27, 2015, 04:17:57 pm »

I hope you'll be able to set up fascist Doctor Who Cybermen-like facilities to force specific types of new physical forms on your populace that you research and design, adapting them for specific tasks, so you can essentially be constantly shifting and changing the subspecies of your transhumanic civilisation based on your current needs.  Sure, you might incite a rebellion here and there, but I'm sure we can genetically/cybernetically modify people for obedience, right?

I like the aspect of things developing outside of your direct control inside of your own empire.  Sounds like it'll make things feel more alive.
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 29, 2015, 11:36:00 pm »

I just hope I can recreate the Combine. Invade a world, strip its resources, and augment and enslave the population into my military for further conquests.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 29, 2015, 11:44:31 pm »

I just hope I can recreate the Combine. Invade a world, strip its resources, and augment and enslave the population into my military for further conquests.
That would be pretty awesome.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Azazass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 30, 2015, 10:54:46 am »

I hope that taking enemy colonies and diplomacy actually matters.

In some 4X, the benefits are not that significant. Looking at you GalCiv 3, in Endless Space colonies actually mattered.

Most of the time the long term bonuses are not that beneficial, by the time the colony you took becomes profitable, your original worlds have expanded and evolved so much than your conquest seem insignificant, even after a long time.

The short term benefit is that they work as sort of rally point, staging grounds, minor repair port, whatever you want to call them for your invasion fleet.

Diplomacy has been a very shallow point in many 4X games, eventually all empires grow to hate you, is rare to have a loyal pasty or like back in GalCiv 2, they are so afraid of you that is not fun, you couldn't wage war for more than 3 to 4 turns when they were already asking for peace or surrendering to some useless empire like the Torians, the Arcean and the Drath.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 30, 2015, 11:16:44 am »

Diplomacy has been a very shallow point in many 4X games, eventually all empires grow to hate you, is rare to have a loyal pasty or like back in GalCiv 2, they are so afraid of you that is not fun, you couldn't wage war for more than 3 to 4 turns when they were already asking for peace or surrendering to some useless empire like the Torians, the Arcean and the Drath.

I am pretty sure that PD will handle it properly. They have done a good job with the CK2 & EU4 diplomacy system.
One of the upcoming DDs will enlighten us anyway.  ;)
Oh and btw, here is the Stellaris wiki [..for those who are interested]. -> http://www.stellariswiki.com

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 30, 2015, 12:17:41 pm »

At least peace negotiations will be similar to what they are like in EU4, I think. So you can't just invade a planet and have it added to your empire, there must be negotiations where the party grants it to you. After that you must integrate it somehow.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: December 30, 2015, 01:46:32 pm »

I'm very hopeful that this will be the first space 4x to get diplomacy right. They've talked a lot about it before in videos, but I'm very interested to see if they can make it more than hundreds of illogical 'WE DEMAND THIS OR WE WILL CRUSH YOU!' messages.

They've already mentioned about councils and multi-way alliances which sound very interesting. I'm hoping that I'll be in the position of NEEDING to form an alliance rather than just doing it to stop a race annoying me for a little while.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 30, 2015, 03:12:38 pm »

Federations sound interesting. Basically a federal fleet builds ships based on all the best part available to all the member races, potentially thus being much more powerful per ship than the species-spesific fleets. The presidency is circulated among the member species and the president controls the federal fleet.

I think that would be very interesting dynamic in multiplayer if there is intra-federal plotting going, but at the same time some unity required against external foes.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 30, 2015, 03:19:14 pm »

Diplomacy, bane of all 4x-types.  Most of it comes down to either: Stupidly exploitable only by the player or everyone hates the player over the smallest things.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 30, 2015, 03:39:26 pm »

Federations sound interesting.

That's very similar to Crusades/the pope in other Paradox games, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had something like that in.

Diplomacy, bane of all 4x-types.  Most of it comes down to either: Stupidly exploitable only by the player or everyone hates the player over the smallest things.
Completely agree. So many good 4x's are let down by abysmal Diplomacy. Most of it just seems to be a lack of testing/being sensible as well as not enough ways to interact. I'm hoping they'll bring across some of the diplomacy from other paradox games, and add some interesting events that keep the relationships a bit more dynamic.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 30, 2015, 03:43:58 pm »

Well my information about federations is based on what the Paradox dudes have told on their forums, so it is definitely going to be in the game.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 632