Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678359 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #840 on: February 08, 2016, 05:32:58 pm »

Was it Victoria 2 where if you got an independent Jan Mayen or something along those lines, your culture would change to polar bears?
Yeah. There also is a console command in EU4 that causes Jan Mayen to spawn with about 50,000 units.
I think one of the HoI games has a command to spawn an alien invasion.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #841 on: February 09, 2016, 09:43:30 pm »

Was it Victoria 2 where if you got an independent Jan Mayen or something along those lines, your culture would change to polar bears?
Yeah. There also is a console command in EU4 that causes Jan Mayen to spawn with about 50,000 units.
They get a bunch of other ridiculous bonuses as well, it's actually kinda fun to try (and inevitably fail) to fight them off
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 10, 2016, 10:29:12 am »

Hmm..I don't like the new look of the political borders. Here is the thread about it.

Old borders:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
New borders:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The reason for the change: "We had some problems with borders you see in the early screen shot. Eventually it got to a point where fixing all the issues would take longer than redoing the system, so we did."  ::)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 10, 2016, 10:57:31 am »

I like the texture of the old borders but the non-overlapping nature of the new ones. Wonder what the problem was, if it was the texture (seems odd that it would be, looks like it's just an overlay)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: February 10, 2016, 11:04:43 am »

Graphics are usually changed up pretty quick by the community. Rarely, if at all, one of my gripes with anything.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: February 10, 2016, 11:09:21 am »

I like the texture of the old borders but the non-overlapping nature of the new ones. Wonder what the problem was, if it was the texture (seems odd that it would be, looks like it's just an overlay)

The gap looks really odd.  It looks like a demilitarized zone between the empires, the borders should touch/meet.[...unless there's an actual gap between 2 systems] Also yeah, they even removed the textures, the new look is simplistic and "soulless". I hope that they will work on it.

Graphics are usually changed up pretty quick by the community. Rarely, if at all, one of my gripes with anything.

Well yeah, but some parts of it might be hard-coded. [Ex.: gaps between the borders of the empires]
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:19:37 am by gimli »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 11, 2016, 03:07:01 am »

Urgh yeah the new ones don't look great. I wouldn't mind a gap (as we're talking about the distances of space!) but I dislike the jaggedness of them.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #847 on: February 11, 2016, 04:49:48 am »

I don't really like either.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #848 on: February 11, 2016, 05:25:07 am »

I could probably get used to either one so long as they're clear and what they're telling me makes sense. Its when borders start overlapping that it gets messy

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 11, 2016, 06:16:17 am »

The old ones do look nicer, mostly because they aren't jagged. The gaps between borders do make some sort of sense, it's space after all, hard to keep control of everything. So having a fuzzy zone where it isn't really clear which empire is in control would be a really neat thing to have. You could have pirates and smugglers thriving here, or maybe covert operations and military bases being carried out and built.

Probably asking too much, but eh, a girl can dream can't she.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: February 11, 2016, 06:32:05 am »

I presume territory could work like colonization in EUIV. We already know there are going to be sectors, so maybe the state with the most colonies in a sector gets claim to the entire sector. But the sector can include systems without presence from anyone at all, even though they are claimed by empire X.

However, espionage and covert stuff is something that is not included in the game at launch, according to some DD or its comments on Paradox forums. (Other than manipulating undeveloped species.)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 11, 2016, 07:25:30 am »

dev:
It's not just the zoom levels. We had some problems with borders you see in the early screen shot. Eventually it got to a point where fixing all the issues would take longer than redoing the system, so we did.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 11, 2016, 08:06:15 am »

If they have pictures for space bears, I hope to god that they put them in feudalistic European dress. Poofy shirts, crowns, the works. Crusader Bears 2 When
Somebody would love stardrive series?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: February 11, 2016, 09:59:32 am »

I loved Stardrive 1. Even its samurai bears. Such a cool concept that ended up horribly flawed and broken in lots of ways, never fixed, and left in the dirt.

I still think that it wouldn't have actually been that hard to fix either.

Now never ever mention it again, lest you curse Stellaris to the same fate
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 10:02:12 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 15, 2016, 09:31:34 am »

Soooo it's monday, and what is that means? Stellaris DD day!  :D Stellaris Dev Diary #21 - Administrative Sectors
Next monday: "Next week, I plan to talk about Alliances and Federations!"

*edit*

Haha, Doomdark is talking about expansions already...  :D -> "While Sectors and Sector Governors cannot demand more autonomy, or directly rise up in revolt (things I’d love to explore in an expansion)"
Well yeah, that is "excellent expansion material", that is for sure.

*edit #2.*

See Stellaris near-complete at the PC Gamer Weekender

"I've been going on about the Paradox team's appearance at the PC Gamer Weekender for a while. PC is the natural home of grand strategy, after all; it would be weird without them. But now I get to reveal—in an excited and child-like way—that they'll be bringing a near-complete build of Stellaris with them to show off on March 5-6 at London's Old Truman Brewery.

Game director Henrik Fåhraeus will appear in-person to talk through his vision and the mechanics of an unknowable galaxy generated fresh each time you start a game, assisted by Paradox Development Studio producer Anna Norrevik. They'll be demonstrating deep-space exploration, zoning in on how the early stages of a 4X transition to the events, anomalies and diplomacy of grand strategy.

Stellaris footage is thin on the ground, so the Weekender is the best opportunity to see how far it's come since we checked in on it five months ago."
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:28:20 am by gimli »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 632