Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678245 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1065 on: March 21, 2016, 09:46:04 am »

I wonder if you can have slave planets populated by only slaves with troops keeping order.
Space Gulag

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: March 21, 2016, 09:57:30 am »

Just name the planet Treblinka.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: March 21, 2016, 10:25:09 am »

I lurk, therefore I PTW. I don't usually play grand stratagies, but this and TWS might change my mind.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1069 on: March 21, 2016, 08:24:41 pm »

I actually really like the human portrait.  I imagine it might be how humans look to aliens, who aren't trained to pick up on facial indicators of gender.
Oh yeah, that is actually really cool.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: March 22, 2016, 08:55:22 pm »

I demand more portraits
For just a few shekels a pop, there'll be scores of new portraits.

It'll probably take DLC for a better slavery system too, since right now apparently you just click a pop and select "enslave". Right now if you wanted to be slavers, you'd have to play xenophobe with open borders (preferably to fanatical collectivists) and enslave immigrant xeno citizens, which doesn't make much sense.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: March 22, 2016, 09:10:04 pm »

Or take another planet and forcibly enslave and transfer the population back to your core worlds.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: March 23, 2016, 02:38:56 am »

I demand more portraits
For just a few shekels a pop, there'll be scores of new portraits.

It'll probably take DLC for a better slavery system too, since right now apparently you just click a pop and select "enslave". Right now if you wanted to be slavers, you'd have to play xenophobe with open borders (preferably to fanatical collectivists) and enslave immigrant xeno citizens, which doesn't make much sense.

I imagine it'd play out something like

"By Space, Blorgth Jr., we have finally made it to Spacerica, chan! We can prosper on this alien world and cast aside the shackles of our past, tho!"

"Hi I'm Customsmans and here's some actual shackles. Welcome to Spacerica, Xenos Scum!"

I'm tired, don't judge me. I'm gonna go to sleep now.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: March 23, 2016, 06:48:45 am »

Victoria 2 has a pretty detailed immigration system. I imagine they will take cues from that. Basically, the less political freedoms xenos get the less likely they are to immigrate to a place.

So only populations that are starving, oppressed and whatever would voluntarily move somewhere to be enslaved. (I wonder if you can sell your pops to enslavers, tho.) In most cases you'd only enslave xenos by conquering or uplifting them or alternatively, by first holding open borders then slapping slavery on them later. "Surprise, immigrants!" I imagine that would include quite a lot of unrest.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: March 23, 2016, 08:15:02 am »

It'll probably take DLC for a better ground combat system too

There, I fixed it. I am 99% sure that it will be overly simplistic [IE. shit] in vanilla. Heh...I guess that's why we have zero [correct me if I am wrong] information [& no DDs] about it.
Anyway, it would be good to have a complex gc system 5 expansions later...[ ex. surface combat in MoO 3.]

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:25:55 am by gimli »

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: March 23, 2016, 08:50:23 am »

I'm not sure interspecies migration mechanics make much sense in most cases. We aren't talking about Victoria or EU or whatever, which feature a fundamentally homogeneous world. In a space 4X context, we're dealing with vast differences between species, from cultural to biological, and mingling is (or should be) extremely difficult if not impossible.

It's frankly stupid to assume multiculturalism can just be copy-pasted from an Earth context to a galactic scale. Not to mention it dilutes the point of having varied alien empires, if half of them will be largely the same multicultural mess. Political entities in Stellaris should be far more different from each other than England and France in EU.

But well, I suppose Stellaris is going after the tired, clichéd "aliens as humans with rubber foreheads" species differentiation method.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: March 23, 2016, 08:55:34 am »

heard u was talking' shit, boi
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: March 23, 2016, 09:36:46 am »

Did you LOOK at the fungoids?

Anyways, we don't have any *actual* aliens to observe, so for all we know stellaris could be correct in how cultures work. Or it could be the opposite end of the scale, who knows?

The cliché I mentioned exceeds mere appearances, despite the name. It doesn't matter if fungoids look very alien if they're functionally the same as humans and have no significant problems sharing the same atmosphere, ecosystem and society.

Anyway, despite the possible expansion of the criticism, I was restricting it to the overly permissive migration mechanics. Most space 4X games severely restrict multiculturalism for a reason.

And no, while we haven't encountered any actual aliens, it's next to impossible they'll be compatible with humans in so many ways as to permit local coexistence in a remotely similar fashion to the one we share with fellow humans.

We are who we are and how we are due to the ever-increasing unique, monumental combination of variables that has shaped our entire evolution and history since the dawn of the Earth. It's absurdly unlikely, to the point of virtual impossibility, that an alien species would share even a fraction of the aforementioned variables with us, combined in a remotely similar way.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: March 23, 2016, 09:45:28 am »

Did you LOOK at the fungoids?

Anyways, we don't have any *actual* aliens to observe, so for all we know stellaris could be correct in how cultures work. Or it could be the opposite end of the scale, who knows?

The cliché I mentioned exceeds mere appearances, despite the name. It doesn't matter if fungoids look very alien if they're functionally the same as humans and have no significant problems sharing the same atmosphere, ecosystem and society.

Anyway, despite the possible expansion of the criticism, I was restricting it to the overly permissive migration mechanics. Most space 4X games severely restrict multiculturalism for a reason.

And no, while we haven't encountered any actual aliens, it's next to impossible they'll be compatible with humans in so many ways as to permit local coexistence in a remotely similar fashion to the one we share with fellow humans.

We are who we are and how we are due to the ever-increasing unique, monumental combination of variables that has shaped our entire evolution and history since the dawn of the Earth. It's absurdly unlikely, to the point of virtual impossibility, that an alien species would share even a fraction of the aforementioned variables with us, combined in a remotely similar way.

Okay but most 4x games also play in a very similar "war of all against all" sort of way. Paradox has stated that they aim to shake up the solidified 4x paradigm by adding a greater emphasis on diplomacy.

They've also stated that they are going for a soft sci-fi feel. Lots of soft sci-fi depicts aliens and humans living and working together (ie: Mass Effect) Alien multiculturalism might not be "realistic" (whatever that is supposed to mean) but it seems like a fun mechanic (letting your people migrate to an empire and then using their presence as an excuse to invade them sounds hilarious). I think the fun factor should trump whether it is realistic for aliens to live together.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: March 23, 2016, 10:10:16 am »

Okay but most 4x games also play in a very similar "war of all against all" sort of way. Paradox has stated that they aim to shake up the solidified 4x paradigm by adding a greater emphasis on diplomacy.

They've also stated that they are going for a soft sci-fi feel. Lots of soft sci-fi depicts aliens and humans living and working together (ie: Mass Effect) Alien multiculturalism might not be "realistic" (whatever that is supposed to mean) but it seems like a fun mechanic (letting your people migrate to an empire and then using their presence as an excuse to invade them sounds hilarious). I think the fun factor should trump whether it is realistic for aliens to live together.

Well, my concern comes only partly from the realism perspective. The other side is that it's extremely similar to how culture works in other Paradox games. It's not particularly groundbreaking.

By the way, my realism perspective isn't quite so much as "this or that should be hard sci-fi-like" than "don't make it too fake". I suppose everyone has different tolerances, but I find it jarring and overly simplistic that supposedly alien species could closely work together as if they were the same damn species. It defeats the point of having aliens in the picture in the first place. Anyway, the more you know and all that.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 632