Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677301 times)

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1140 on: March 25, 2016, 12:53:07 pm »

We'll have to wait and see, I suppose.
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 25, 2016, 02:31:22 pm »

What Stellaris will lack at launch will most likely be compensated by the huge replayability compared to other title, at least thats how i see it for now. Im quite sure dlc will start popping out real fast and if the community is very vocal about stuff that *should have been* in base game might get released for free who knows.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 25, 2016, 03:25:44 pm »

With CK2 and EU4, I tend to buy the base game full price and then wait for sales for the DLC. I'll probably do the same thing here. I want to support Paradox but I'm also cheap so I feel this is a good compromise, they get a good push towards supporting the game further with a full buy and I get to keep some money and not need to suck the moisture from the rafters for a couple days to survive (woooooo student :V)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 26, 2016, 11:21:34 pm »

They're just units of population working a given planet tile: there's no pop types, political alignment, militancy, needs, etc.

Pop Types: Slaves, Free, Robots, Transhuman

Political Alignment: Ethos varies by pop, has significant effects on what the pop does

Militancy: Pops do have this, and they will join factions (rebel movements)

Needs: Obviously not as deep as Vic 2, but they need food and such.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 27, 2016, 01:17:55 am »

They're just units of population working a given planet tile: there's no pop types, political alignment, militancy, needs, etc.

Pop Types: Slaves, Free, Robots, Transhuman
Transhuman things aren't much different from other species, I think, and robots are more or less just a special category of species.

Needs: Obviously not as deep as Vic 2, but they need food and such.
What's the "and such"? Aside from robots needing energy (somehow, despite other pops being able to live their entire complicated biological lives without needing any) I can't think of anything else.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 27, 2016, 01:36:07 am »

Still much more complicated than Civilization "pops".

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 27, 2016, 02:00:56 pm »

The pops themselves aren't that much more complicated. About the biggest differences I can see is that each pop is an actual person who may be an alien or a slave or a rebel. That and there's an in-built method to move pops between colonies (I think you still can in Civ it's just non-obvious and kind of janky)

Aside from that, they're a food-based number that grows and harvests/works on a specific tile. Same as in Civ.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 27, 2016, 02:39:54 pm »

I thought that one dev diary said that pops can have their own ethos, and if their ethos diverges too much they can start becoming rebellious?
Yeah. They also said that aliens and citizens with different ethos will move towards your borders.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 27, 2016, 02:41:13 pm »

The pops themselves aren't that much more complicated. About the biggest differences I can see is that each pop is an actual person who may be an alien or a slave or a rebel. That and there's an in-built method to move pops between colonies (I think you still can in Civ it's just non-obvious and kind of janky)

Aside from that, they're a food-based number that grows and harvests/works on a specific tile. Same as in Civ.
In Civ, pops are literally just a number that grows based on food and harvests/works on a specific tile. That's it. Pops from one civ are identical to pops from another civ. There are no traits. They don't have happiness. They don't rebel individually. You can't purge/enslave pops in Civ (not that you'd want to, because they're all the same). Soldiers aren't recruited from pops, because "pops", as an abstract game concept, simply do not exist in Civ.

You can argue that the pops in Stellaris "aren't that much more complicated" but you're wrong. Pops in Stellaris have many interlocking systems developed around them, while pops in Civ have nothing. Pops in Stellaris genetically modify themselves to suit their environment better. They have an ideology, they join factions, their happiness is tracked, they migrate by themselves to worlds with more similar ethoses, they can be purged or enslaved, they have traits. It's not as deep as Victoria 2, but calling it not much more complicated than Civ 5 is the most ridiculous hyperbole I've heard today and really downplays the entire system.

Consider this: in Civ 5, pops aren't even tracked by the game because, for all intents and purposes, they don't exist. Population is kept track of per city. It is an integer that goes up or down, depending on growth or starvation. Every single "pop" for each city in Civ can be tracked with a single integer. They are fundamentally, intrinsically linked to cities. They're more like a city's "level" than anything resembling a population of people. A city could have 2 pops or 20 pops and all that changes is one number.

In Stellaris, pops are a core game mechanic that can be modded and extended. They possess a species, traits, faction, ideology, and happiness. This means somewhere in memory, the computer's storing at least these five variables per pop. In terms of complexity, this is vastly beyond Civ's "one variable per city". Consider that Stellaris can have 1000+ star systems. Assuming a conservative 0.5 habitable worlds per system, and 10 pops per world, Stellaris would track 5000 individual pops. This isn't even taking into account the additional game logic to allow for pop behavior/decision-making, which is obviously executed per pop.

I understand people are annoyed that Stellaris pops aren't tracked Vicky 2-style, but there's a huge continuum between Victoria 2 and Civilization. Stellaris is much, much closer to the Victoria 2 side than the Civilization side.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 27, 2016, 03:03:09 pm »

Perhaps more accurately, they're MoO2 pops with that political twist that's the ethos interaction with the faction system. We've yet to see the depth of that, but I'm not really underestimating it. If not initially deep, it'll probably get expanded upon before long.

As for Civ citizens, no matter how they're calculated, they do have happiness (even if it's binary) and can be unhappy, and they can have specialized jobs outside tile-working (that's actually something I don't think Stellaris pops have). And you can work them to death to rush production in certain circumstances.

Do Stellaris pops really have traits, or is that just the officers? Do they actually rebel individually? I thought that kind of thing happend on a per-faction basis. Can they really move freely, wherever they want? I imagine that'd be quite chaotic from the player perspective, when you want to keep a certain amount of people in a given planet for it to function properly, but your population's uncontrollably all over the place. Is their happiness truly independent if their ethos isn't particularly at odds with the government's (i.e. they're not joining any factions)? In practice, just how much independence do they actually have?

I'd genuinely appreciate a link to a dev diary covering these matters in some form.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: March 27, 2016, 04:06:27 pm »

Individual pops can support a faction. Like Vicky2, where a pop group can be reactionaries or communists and lend support to any rebellion caused by that faction. It was in one of the thursday streams, last one I think. An independence revolt was supported by two pop units.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 27, 2016, 06:13:26 pm »

Mmm, it would be interesting if pops could support rebellions in other ways than just fighting. Like by using their monetary resources to incite others to fight for them, that would make wealthy rebellious pops especially dangerous. Especially if they didn't fight themselves, not giving you a chance to slap them down. Business Plot, anyone? Well, maybe we get that in Vic3. I doubt Stellaris dwells that deep on these things.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: March 27, 2016, 08:00:39 pm »

Do Stellaris pops really have traits, or is that just the officers? Do they actually rebel individually? I thought that kind of thing happend on a per-faction basis. Can they really move freely, wherever they want? I imagine that'd be quite chaotic from the player perspective, when you want to keep a certain amount of people in a given planet for it to function properly, but your population's uncontrollably all over the place. Is their happiness truly independent if their ethos isn't particularly at odds with the government's (i.e. they're not joining any factions)? In practice, just how much independence do they actually have?
Just officers (and other characters) have traits. Their freedom of movement depends on your policies, but they potentially can move freely if your laws allow it. They don't just flit about wantonly though. You shouldn't have manpower problems on a planet unless things go drastically wrong. From what little we've seen, it seems way more forgiving than Vicky2 in this regard. I don't know what you mean by independent happiness. It's dependent on a lot of factors. Each one has their own separate happiness though, if that's what you mean. They don't do much action on a scale beyond themselves and the map tile they're in independently of factions, if they do any at all.

I'd genuinely appreciate a link to a dev diary covering these matters in some form.
Paradox doesn't seem to see much need for dev diaries about stuff that's this directly adapted from their earlier games. I'm not sure they anticipated catching the attention of as many 4x fans as they have.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1153 on: March 27, 2016, 08:22:28 pm »

I'm not sure they anticipated catching the attention of as many 4x fans as they have.
It's not too surprising since they took a step away from their usual asymmetric historical setup. In their other games, countries are objectively stronger or weaker than others from the beginning. But Stellaris starts off with everyone on the same footing, which is much more in line with a traditional 4x than Paradox grand strategy.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 27, 2016, 08:46:00 pm »

I'm not sure they anticipated catching the attention of as many 4x fans as they have.
It's not too surprising since they took a step away from their usual asymmetric historical setup. In their other games, countries are objectively stronger or weaker than others from the beginning. But Stellaris starts off with everyone on the same footing, which is much more in line with a traditional 4x than Paradox grand strategy.
Though then there's the option to buff several random AI empires to create more powerful nations for when the exploration/expasion game gives way to the grand strategy.

I must say I'm rather intrigued by the setup of having a 4X game core as a setup for a grand strategy game. Both creates emergent empires in almost literally empty space, and gives both the 4X and the grand strategy genres a nice spin off each other. Could be fun to play. (Assuming I can even run it, heh.)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 632