Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1687416 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1125 on: March 24, 2016, 11:56:48 pm »

Much human conflict comes down to primate dominance dynamics. The question isn't "could they get along" but rather why would they fight? Conflict is a resource investment that needs to pay off. There's no reason to fight if there's nothing to gain. In humans there is always something to gain because everyone can use everyone else's resources and mate with everyone else's mates. Interspecies, not so much. But there's nothing we'd need from dolphins (or sentient arctic seals, or sentient subterranean creatures, etc) that isn't purely an economic thing. At that point there isn't much contact and it's just cheaper to trade.

Personally, I've seen enough wholly irrational maliciousness/fear/etc. to make me less sanguine than you on this issue. Even if there's nothing to gain (or indeed everything to lose) from hostility, hostility could end up being our collective response anyways. I'd be happy to be wrong on that point, certainly.

At least the portraits totally confirms the ability to have a mushroom with a mohawk and some bling.

"I pity the fool that sautées my brothers!"

Some of those mushroom folk are awfully, er, wobbly in their animations. Would make modding mohawks and the like more tricky, I imagine, but there's probably some passionate artist out there eager to make an "Immersive Mushroom Mohawks" mod.

Actually, are the 'lesser leaders' animated the same way the head honchos are? Not sure I've noticed in the videos thus far.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 25, 2016, 12:54:37 am »

Just watched today's stream, and the game looks pretty good, though perhaps unremarkable to a certain extent. Well, it's the standard 4X fare plus some known Paradox mechanics. I'm sure they'll expand Stellaris considerably with a seemingly endless parade of DLC, but the base game may not be particularly stellar, if you'll pardon the pun.
That seems remarkable enough to me.

One thing which somewhat concerned me is the race portraits. They look great, and there's a lot of variety when it comes to race generation. However, there's a single portrait per race, apparently, and you see the same guy in every pop, character and officer. I realize it might seem unfeasible to ask for portrait subdivision (a la MoO2), but it looks quite repetitive as it is. I'm almost sure, however, that they're aware of this, and that their solution will be a procession of paid portrait packs, if CK2 is any indication.
There's supposed to be ethnic variation, but yeah, it hasn't really been in evidence in anything I've seen either.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 25, 2016, 01:06:11 am »

well, paradox has a history of murdering 4x
if its unremarkable and farms some of the easy mmo clone  moneys, its proably enough.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1128 on: March 25, 2016, 01:58:47 am »

Just watched today's stream, and the game looks pretty good, though perhaps unremarkable to a certain extent. Well, it's the standard 4X fare plus some known Paradox mechanics. I'm sure they'll expand Stellaris considerably with a seemingly endless parade of DLC, but the base game may not be particularly stellar, if you'll pardon the pun.
I think we've been spoiled by other Paradox games.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 25, 2016, 03:38:15 am »

Will there be nuking peaceful xeno  civilizations/ releasing biological weapons on them/ blowing up stars/ starving planets with planetary blockade and other such options of achieving greater good?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 25, 2016, 05:59:57 am »

Well, yes. That's the point.

You didn't read this thread at all, did you?
It's a game. Have fun.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: March 25, 2016, 06:09:27 am »

I think we've been spoiled by other Paradox games.
Yeah, I don't know -- Stellaris might be a little shallow at launch compared to their other titles... but compared to 99% of the other 4X games out there, it'll surpass them, I think. It's certainly deeper than GalCiv 3, Endless Space, Star Drive 1/2, the MoO reboot, etc. Probably not quite as deep as Distant Worlds, yet. Needs a few more systems (like properly simulated trade/supply lines and espionage). But the galaxy map doesn't look like someone heaved skittles onto a black canvasboard and connected them with dashed lines, so it's much prettier than Distant Worlds.

The factions/pop system is what really sets it apart, so I'm interested in how far it can carry the game.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 25, 2016, 06:59:18 am »

I just skimmed through the stream - it looks good, but I feel that they've sort of misjudged what people were expecting a little bit. I was expecting CK2 in space - lots of intrigue, diplomacy and having to carefully plan how to expand your empire - whereas this is just sorta standard (but good) 4x. I think it truly will be a good 4x game, but my hope - like everyone's - is that they realise this and add more to that post launch.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1133 on: March 25, 2016, 07:20:02 am »

I dunno, seems like we're looking at EU meets Vicky IN SPAAAAAAACE. Minus a bunch of important mechanics, some of which will be drip-fed via DLC.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 25, 2016, 08:10:04 am »

I dunno, seems like we're looking at EU meets Vicky IN SPAAAAAAACE. Minus a bunch of important mechanics, some of which will be drip-fed via DLC.
Yeah it, looks a lot like Vicky in SPEHSS, minus detailed simulation of trade goods.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #1135 on: March 25, 2016, 09:31:56 am »

Looking forward to playing this. I think it's a good idea they are keeping the mechanics somewhat simple for now, increasing the chance the AI will be functional and the game stable. I am sure depth and mechanics will be added via DLC, and waiting until after release allows them to see how the fans receive the game, and what areas of gameplay need to be expanded.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 25, 2016, 12:13:03 pm »

How is this Vicky in space? The "pops" are no more complex than citizens in Civilization. They're just units of population working a given planet tile: there's no pop types, political alignment, militancy, needs, etc.

Or at least they showed none of that during the last stream.

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 25, 2016, 12:31:00 pm »

How is this Vicky in space? The "pops" are no more complex than citizens in Civilization. They're just units of population working a given planet tile: there's no pop types, political alignment, militancy, needs, etc.

Or at least they showed none of that during the last stream.
The pops do have races and have ethics. Also some may become subspecies.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

RadtheCad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 25, 2016, 12:41:28 pm »

I'm just worried the game will be pretty pedestrian unless you shell out for all the dlc that adds crazy, interesting sci-fi shit two years down the line.  Where are the dyson swarms, the STL alien spores, the brain uploads, the crazy custom superweapons, differentiation between oxygen and methane breathers with the natural segregation that could bring...?  Probably in DLC or a modder's brain.
You have to kill your son or nuke the commonwealth.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 25, 2016, 12:49:36 pm »

I'm sure there'll be plenty of free content updates.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 632