Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678270 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1455 on: April 17, 2016, 09:06:03 pm »

I'm really happy to see the development of this game. Its mostly 4x, but with the fact that diplomacy is a legitimate option. In most 4's I've seen or played, diplomacy is something that's only useful for bots in most cases. But with the federation and influence systems, smaller nations can band together to defend themselves, making snowballing slightly less of an issue than normal.
With this game, snowballing can actually work against you in the long run as factions from within your civ may break off and run themselves independantly and youd have to recapture them and they may call your opponents to help. Its like a seriously hardcore (if its as bad as i think it is) version of gavelkind from ck2.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: April 17, 2016, 09:42:04 pm »

I'm really happy to see the development of this game. Its mostly 4x, but with the fact that diplomacy is a legitimate option. In most 4's I've seen or played, diplomacy is something that's only useful for bots in most cases. But with the federation and influence systems, smaller nations can band together to defend themselves, making snowballing slightly less of an issue than normal.
With this game, snowballing can actually work against you in the long run as factions from within your civ may break off and run themselves independantly and youd have to recapture them and they may call your opponents to help.
They can do that, but you have tons of opportunities to stop it, including pressing a button to spend influence, giving secessionists partial independence as vassals (who can be reintegrated) and not losing the independence war when they rebel. You can also choose options to mitigate both unhappiness and ethos drift (the causes of dissent) at empire creation, when researching technologies, and when building on your planets.
Its like a seriously hardcore (if its as bad as i think it is) version of gavelkind from ck2.
It's not as bad as you think it is, then.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: April 17, 2016, 09:56:24 pm »

With this game, snowballing can actually work against you in the long run as factions from within your civ may break off and run themselves independantly and youd have to recapture them and they may call your opponents to help.
They can do that, but you have tons of opportunities to stop it, including pressing a button to spend influence, giving secessionists partial independence as vassals (who can be reintegrated) and not losing the independence war when they rebel. You can also choose options to mitigate both unhappiness and ethos drift (the causes of dissent) at empire creation, when researching technologies, and when building on your planets.
The thing is, what if these rebellions happen when, say, you are fighting two different empires at once? Or worse yet, being threatened by a fallen empire?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: April 17, 2016, 10:00:10 pm »

The thing is, what if these rebellions happen when, say, you are fighting two different empires at once? Or worse yet, being threatened by a fallen empire?
You might make a strategic decision to let them go, and you'll be no worse off than if you hadn't taken those worlds.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: April 18, 2016, 07:57:25 am »

Blockade their worlds, nuke their food production and continue orbital bombardment untill every last of those, who dared to rebel is dead.
Then exterminate all xenos from fallen empire and everyone, who dares to take your living space.
Best strategy.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: April 18, 2016, 09:16:09 am »

Newest dev diary has gone up: It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: April 18, 2016, 09:40:49 am »

HAKHAKHAK

I think the only real answer to extragalactic invaders is making a whole bunch of sentient robots to fight them off.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: April 18, 2016, 11:35:05 am »

HAKHAKHAK

I think the only real answer to extragalactic invaders is making a whole bunch of sentient robots to fight them off.

Or play the Ur-Quan Kzer-Za or Kohr-Ah. ;)

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:53:38 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: April 18, 2016, 12:32:05 pm »

Army damage is very likely how effective ground troops are while attacking/defending in planetary invasions.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: April 18, 2016, 02:01:02 pm »

P.S. I'm not entirely sure what 'army damage' is!
Probably how much damage ground forces deal each combat round.

Army damage is very likely how effective ground troops are while attacking/defending in planetary invasions.
Even though ground combat is simplified compared to other Paradox games, I doubt it's simplified to the extent of having a simple "effectiveness" stat.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: April 18, 2016, 02:19:21 pm »

Newest dev diary has gone up: It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.
Bleh. It seems to be implying that the chance of an AI uprising is based around how many pops they have, which seems...dumb. What if you treat your sentient robot citizens as, well, actual citizens? While it might make sense for AI treated as slaves to attempt to exterminate their masters, why would AI that have fully integrated into a society do the same?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: April 18, 2016, 02:36:23 pm »

Bleh. It seems to be implying that the chance of an AI uprising is based around how many pops they have, which seems...dumb. What if you treat your sentient robot citizens as, well, actual citizens? While it might make sense for AI treated as slaves to attempt to exterminate their masters, why would AI that have fully integrated into a society do the same?

BEEP-BOOP! UH, NO REASON. BEEP-BOP!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: April 18, 2016, 02:39:58 pm »

It would be interesting if the rise of the robot nation would affect empires differently regarding on how they treat the robots. Slave-robots would rebel, segregated-and-oppressed robots would mostly rebel, citizen-robots might have a minority rebel, but many others start exodus to the new robot state and maybe some selecting to stay. (Depending on their ethos matches, maybe.)

The way it is portrayed though, I think the robots are not individually sentient in Stellaris but rather a networked AI. So the robot rebellion is the robots of all empires forming a gestalt consciousness that rebels as a whole. Maybe robot rights could then reflect in the relationship with the new robot overlord state.

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: April 18, 2016, 02:53:08 pm »

We'd need some sort of countermeasures to a robotic state. Something like a galactic - wide EMP that destroys all robots, but also cuts research & production by like 80%?
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: April 18, 2016, 02:54:08 pm »

The countermeasure seems to be "Go out and kill them." Which seems fair enough.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 632