Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677272 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #1620 on: May 02, 2016, 11:18:12 am »

as long as it isn't just plain boring and shitty like my worst disappointment ever, MOO3.
It's a Paradox game, so it should work well enough but it'll be kinda bare-bones until the first year or two of DLC is out.

Of course, that's better than most 4x games which are bare-bones when they come out and then stay that way.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: May 02, 2016, 12:34:03 pm »

I can't wait for this game, its becoming difficult.

To tide you over: a civ creator.  Its super incomplete, it has none of the cosmetic stuff except name, and the starting tech/planet/FTL choices are missing.  But its something.

Someone posted this pages and pages ago... it being buried in posts seems like a good enough reason to re-post it, since it's pretty neat. :P

Hmm. So there's three ethos points but only three combinable moderate choices? Are races most often expected to have a moderate trait and a fanatic one then? What'd happen if you picked two moderate choices and left your remaining point unspent? Are you even allowed to do that?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: May 02, 2016, 12:38:58 pm »

I can't wait for this game, its becoming difficult.

To tide you over: a civ creator.  Its super incomplete, it has none of the cosmetic stuff except name, and the starting tech/planet/FTL choices are missing.  But its something.

Someone posted this pages and pages ago... it being buried in posts seems like a good enough reason to re-post it, since it's pretty neat. :P

Hmm. So there's three ethos points but only three combinable moderate choices?
Not sure what you're getting at there, but there's eight moderate choices, each one is mutually exclusive with only one other.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: May 02, 2016, 12:52:59 pm »

I'm not remotely interested in the soundtrack.

Is there any benefit to spending the extra $10 to get the "Exclusive Alien Race (Cosmetic DLC)"? Or should I just stick with the base preorder?
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: May 02, 2016, 12:59:36 pm »

All cosmetics will be on sale as DLC later, so...
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: May 02, 2016, 01:16:41 pm »

Not sure what you're getting at there, but there's eight moderate choices, each one is mutually exclusive with only one other.

Yeah, sorry, I forgot about Xenophobe/Xenophile, and didn't explain myself correctly. It just feels the moderate options are extremely limited, and it seems wasteful that it's four choices and their opposites. And two of those axes aren't exactly moderate: either you're Militarist or Pacifist, Xenophobe or Xenophile. So leaving those pseudo-extremist options aside, you have either Materialistic/Spiritual and Individualist/Collectivist. Two choices, and that leaves one point unspent.

Makes it hard to come up with races that aren't comically stereotyped. I'm trying to come up with a reasonable depiction of humanity, and I'm leaning towards Materialistic and Individualist. And then I'm left with the pseudo-extremes, and must either love/hate war/aliens, or radicalize one of the other traits.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: May 02, 2016, 01:29:02 pm »

I don't think that non fanatic Militarialist/Pacifist and Xenophobe/Xenophile necessarily have to be extremes, at least anymore then the other axis. It seems to be in how your imagine that meaning, like I could imagine humans being Militarialistic. At least as easy as I could imagine them being materialistic and individualist.

One thing I do find odd though is how it seems like all the pops on your home planet start with the same ethos, which seems quite odd to me, like your whole species just went though one hive mind period or something that ends as soon as you discover warp travel and the game proper starts. Might just be a balance thing, not having to deal with unhappy pops when you only have one undeveloped world.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: May 02, 2016, 02:34:37 pm »

I think the implication is that your pop is only "moderate" if its not listed on an axis.  So a fanatically spiritualist xenophile would be moderate on the issues of militarism and individualism.

Fanaticism presumably means your pop has been feeling so strongly for so long that they can no longer even consider the alternative as acceptable.  Whereas for example a normal pacifist might acknowledge the need for initiating violence in extreme circumstances or a xenophobe might acknowledge immigrants are acceptable in specific cases.  A fanatic xenophobe and pacifist would never accept those things and would view the moderate opinion as a radical fringe.  Although their leaders might be a little more pragmatic...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: May 02, 2016, 03:57:07 pm »

So in the latest dev diary, a little explanation of how to customize portraits. Among a few things.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-32-modding-art.924762/

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: May 02, 2016, 04:29:12 pm »

Nice. I might up-res the old Tyrian graphics and do a ship pack. Maybe as a starting point for a proper mod. Shouldn't be too hard to just run them as a textured rectangle and see how they look.

Space fruit for all! The Mighty Zinglon commands it!

I'm pretty sure you can convert Blender to Maya files somehow, so it's sort of freeware friendly for modding purposes, at least for simple stuff. Or, ummm, "test" Maya's capabilities on your platform.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 04:42:15 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: May 02, 2016, 05:12:27 pm »

I don't think that non fanatic Militarialist/Pacifist and Xenophobe/Xenophile necessarily have to be extremes, at least anymore then the other axis. It seems to be in how your imagine that meaning, like I could imagine humans being Militarialistic. At least as easy as I could imagine them being materialistic and individualist.

There's really not many significant examples of modern, active militarist societies akin to Sparta (might be argued that was Fanatic Militarist) or the more recent Prussia nowadays. The United States devotes a very significant chunk of their budget to defense, but even then I'm not sure the US is really a militarist society in the traditional sense of the term. Militarism exceeds the fairly moderate "I'll go to war when necessary", and pacifism has a stronger meaning than merely "I don't like war". Perhaps humanity in general is slightly more pro-war than anti-war, but not enough to be considered militaristic as a whole.

It's sort of the same deal with Xenophobe/Xenophile. They are more extreme than more neutral postures like materialism and individualism (which I do see strongly represented across the planet). But I don't believe mankind as a whole leans one way substantially more than the other.

So does anyone know what'd happen to the unspent point?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: May 02, 2016, 08:41:06 pm »

Depends on what militaristic and pacificistic means in the context of space, really.  The reality of militarism is complicated on Earth.

In other news, I just realized that "Theocratic Oligarchy" basically means Space Vatican.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: May 02, 2016, 09:14:22 pm »

Depends on what militaristic and pacificistic means in the context of space, really.  The reality of militarism is complicated on Earth.

In other news, I just realized that "Theocratic Oligarchy" basically means Space Vatican.

The Space Pope is real.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: May 03, 2016, 03:18:31 am »

The big Multiplayer event in London should be starting in less than an hour from now:
https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: May 03, 2016, 05:25:12 am »

The big Multiplayer event in London should be starting in less than an hour from now:
https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/

Someone already got picked on by a fallen empire :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 632