Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678251 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2280 on: May 17, 2016, 03:58:54 pm »

Also is research agreement trading bugged? I can never get the AI to start a trading agreement with me, every time I succeed the trade results in them giving me nothing but me still giving me my end of the trading deal.
Anything already in the trade window when you open it is not 'really' there. Always clear the trade window before making a trade, it's a bug.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: May 17, 2016, 04:01:45 pm »

Also is research agreement trading bugged? I can never get the AI to start a trading agreement with me, every time I succeed the trade results in them giving me nothing but me still giving me my end of the trading deal.

I think you're describing this bug: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/4d15-trade-deal-screen-bugs-on-close-reopen.928506/

Whenever you open the trade screen, you need to clear out the old terms that might still be sitting in the trade screen, and re-write the deal from scratch.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: May 17, 2016, 04:03:53 pm »

Getting burned out from this game.

Mostly because once your empire is large enough it is nearly impossible to find anything.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: May 17, 2016, 04:12:07 pm »

Yes, spaceports appear with 0 hp as soon as you order construction. Fun fact: sector AI builds spaceport on sieged worlds infinite number of times (as long as it has minerals). Of course you are the one getting "spaceport under attack" message.

bump: Did anyone managed to find a way to mod out a hard penalty to diplomatic options for difficulty (-25/-50)? Thats additional 250-500 opinion needed. Making any diplomacy options on 'impossible' trully impossible.
Hold on, what? My impression so far is that I'm the one who needs to build the spaceports and that I'm the one responsible for upgrading them. None of my sectors have been doing it on their own.

On a semi-related question, just how is one supposed to build up a large surplus of minerals? It's easy to build up EC since planetary power generators produce obscene amounts of it and almost nothing uses it except as upkeep (Paradox may want to look at Eternal Space for ideas - some additional abilities that cost EC to use could be cool). Mineral mining, on the other hand, just seems to constantly lag behind. Even when your mineral production is much higher per month than your EC, you need minerals for everything.

Want to build mining stations? You need minerals. Need more EC to build more mining stations? You need minerals. You need to fight some space amoebas to gain access to a new system which hopefully has more resources? You need minerals. And then once the amoebas are gone you need to either colonize a planet or build an outpost station, either way, you need minerals.

I'm probably playing this all wrong, but for me it's a constant struggle to put just enough minerals together to keep moving forward, at least if you want to stay in the tech race or not run into an EC deficit. I have a fairly good-sized empire, with dominion over a fairly large swath of space and 7 planets (all but one of which are within sectors), yet my mineral production is somewhere in the 50s. I just lost most of my fleet against a much smaller empire (that somehow is more advanced than me despite having just one planet and a presence in only 4 systems, none of which have much in the way of research bonuses), and now I can't possibly rebuild it before those damn space slugs manage to wreck my infrastructure and my vassal.

Funny, I always have problems making enough energy and will usually be swimming in minerals.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: May 17, 2016, 05:02:39 pm »

And now that the galactic threat that was the Pouz-Jok got neutered by a Xenophile Fallen Empire, my empire is now seen as the new galactic threat.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: May 17, 2016, 07:15:14 pm »

So how does the RNG work in this game? Has anyone even figured it out yet? It almost seems like whether you succeed or fail at any one anomaly is decided before you ever begin to get to work on it.

In my current game I found some sort of "mystic" anomaly fairly early on. It was level 4, with a 30% base failure rate. So I acquire a scientist with the Careful trait (-10% failure chance) and put her to work until she's level 5, for a final failure rate of 12%. I saved before I began working on it, and...

I just keep failing. Load, fail, load, fail. I encountered this same sort of issue before, when I tried to savescum an event that had a 50% chance of success (to no avail).

I also just noticed that Steam achievements aren't triggering for some reason. That's pretty minor though.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 07:41:49 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2286 on: May 17, 2016, 07:54:38 pm »

Are you playing in ironman? Achievements only pop for ironman games, classic paradox thing

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: May 17, 2016, 07:56:17 pm »

Achievements appear to be ironman only.

I haven't seen that behavior with anomalies myself, but possibly it has to do with seed generation being static (I do not know if this is true, but it would explain endless failures like you are describing) like in older civ games?
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: May 17, 2016, 07:57:05 pm »

I just keep failing. Load, fail, load, fail. I encountered this same sort of issue before, when I tried to savescum an event that had a 50% chance of success (to no avail).
It's probably because the game is using the same seed so the result will be the same no matter how often you reload. XCOM does the same thing unless you ask it not to so you can savescum.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: May 17, 2016, 08:45:05 pm »

So...what do I do, then? Take the scientist elsewhere and go bumming around for a while before starting work on the anomaly? Or is it doomed to fail no matter what at this point?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: May 17, 2016, 08:55:53 pm »

I'd try a different scientist, tho' that will be very time consuming I imagine.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: May 17, 2016, 08:59:59 pm »

I do have a second scientist, but she's only level 4 and I want to maximize her chances. Not that it'll matter if RNG screws me over again, but...

Problem is that I need to build up a fleet to clear out nearby systems before I can send her out for more surveying. I'm kinda trapped in a corner.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: May 17, 2016, 09:46:11 pm »

So...what do I do, then? Take the scientist elsewhere and go bumming around for a while before starting work on the anomaly? Or is it doomed to fail no matter what at this point?
Just let it fail. =| It's not such a big deal.

You're gonna fail some anomalies anyway and really they don't do THAT much. Unless you're only planning to ever play this once, you'll probably run into this anomaly again in the future. There really aren't so many that you'll never see this again.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: May 17, 2016, 09:51:52 pm »

Just let it fail. =| It's not such a big deal.

You're gonna fail some anomalies anyway and really they don't do THAT much. Unless you're only planning to ever play this once, you'll probably run into this anomaly again in the future. There really aren't so many that you'll never see this again.
Might as well. I decided to let the scientist in question go work on a different event, one requiring a 5-star scientist.

95% of the way through the project, an election was held and that same scientist became the President, leaving the science vessel stuck in place. And since she's a substance abuser in her late 50s, she's unlikely to survive long enough to get back to work.

I hate you so much, Stellaris.
* Sirus plays more Stellaris

Fun fact: if a construction ship abandons its task partway through (a threat appearing in the system, ferex), the partially-constructed station instantly disappears and all minerals spent on that project are lost. So that's nice.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:56:52 pm by Sirus »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: May 17, 2016, 10:01:12 pm »

And that's why I always toggle off the "Run Like A Bitch" option. It took me a few games to figure it out. Also I don't mind micromanagement at all, so it doesn't bother me to switch to ships whenever I get a warning and manually fly them out.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 632