Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678149 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2835 on: June 16, 2016, 09:45:30 pm »

Personally I got it after reading all the after action reports and basically turned out the interesting stories I read weren't actual game events but written fluff, the gameplay behind being scouting systems for a hundred of this and that points

Removed that what's left is mostly aggravating clickfest. Here what an honest trailer would sound like "Manage dying scientist!" "Shuffle trough all your buildings to find the one which unlocked an update" "build whatever ship you like since it doesn't matter fuck all" "wage total war and take up to THREE planets at a time"

How are they gomma fix it, release a dlc that allpws to conquer FOUR planets?

The game systems are paper thin honestly. It is an emjoyable game for it has quite the fluff to discover but as far as gameplay is concerned there is too much unimportant stuff taking too much of your time. here's a planet with a ship as large as a mountain! +10 engineering research and that's it. Federation president change and triggers a huge war? Here manually respond to this dozen fleets roaming in your space warping around as soon as your fleet arrives. oh it's sixty uear since game start everyone important now dies, hope you saved up on that influence!

I reread that initial controversial stellaris review and now I've to say it's spot on http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/05/09/stellaris-review
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 10:15:24 pm by LoSboccacc »

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: June 16, 2016, 11:18:24 pm »

I feel it has the foundation to be a good game but they missed a lot along the way. Certain minor annoyances pile up to make mid-late game, and even early game at times, a chore rather than fun. The warscore system, for example, doesn't translate well from EU into space, as many have mentioned before - why stop at only a few planets every 10 years? Why is there no auto-explore option in the mid-late game, where you can potentially have tens or hundreds of systems within your reach to survey? Why is there no way to survey all the debris in a system in one go (I know they're adding that in 1.2, just amazing that they hadn't in the initial release).

The utter lack of impactful late game technology, at least to me, is also a huge downer. Coming off games like Star Ruler and Galactic Civilizations, where you can get things that destroy planets and solar systems or create new ones, getting minor 5-10% bonuses stretching to infinity makes technology just about getting slightly better guns (aka particle/tachyon lances) and spamming as many ships as possible until the hard locked 1000 fleet cap.

Not to say I haven't thoroughly enjoyed myself, and further enjoyed tinkering with mods and making some basic ones of my own, but it's got a long way to go until "vanilla" is a worthy game on its own right.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: June 16, 2016, 11:33:49 pm »

Like, don't get me wrong. I'm sure that in 2019 or so, with seven DLCs and a pile of mods, it'll be a good game. But it's not that game right now.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: June 16, 2016, 11:36:51 pm »

Like, don't get me wrong. I'm sure that in 2019 or so, with seven DLCs and a pile of mods, it'll be a good game. But it's not that game right now.

And that's the unfortunate part of it. I'm not sure I'm willing to spend 80+ dollars on top of the $40 to get a good game.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: June 16, 2016, 11:43:16 pm »

What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: June 16, 2016, 11:44:35 pm »

Lots of problems will probably not be fixed until Stellaris 2 or even 3.

Pooling all the minerals into civ-wide pool instead of letting planets produce buildings on their own pace was a mistake. Sectors are a joke partially because of it.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: June 17, 2016, 02:11:46 am »

Honestly, I don't think we're going to be seeing anything new from Pdox for a little while. They've got four games to make DLC for, and I think they're going to stretch them as much as they can, while working on a new engine in the background. Isn't HOI IV the last game on Clausewitz? It better be at least.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: June 17, 2016, 02:59:43 am »

Honestly, I don't think we're going to be seeing anything new from Pdox for a little while. They've got four games to make DLC for, and I think they're going to stretch them as much as they can, while working on a new engine in the background. Isn't HOI IV the last game on Clausewitz? It better be at least.

I don't understand, why didn't they build upon CKII or Vae Victis? Those had plenty interesting mechanics.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: June 17, 2016, 04:53:09 pm »

why didn't they build upon CKII?
They did, for four years so far and a new expansion is coming out in a while.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: June 17, 2016, 06:11:32 pm »

why didn't they build upon CKII?
They did, for four years so far and a new expansion is coming out in a while.
Think he meant using some of those systems in Stellaris.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: June 17, 2016, 06:31:40 pm »

If you are having a hankering for CKII in space, you could try the Crisis of the Confederation mod.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: June 17, 2016, 07:20:53 pm »

I hope we get better political and diplomatic interactions in the future. Federations are screaming for a DLC, for example. There should be different type of federations with policies of their own and forming a federation should include talks on what these policies are. For example, is the leader elected in a popular election or circulated among the members or what, does the federation tax the population, who pays for the federal fleet and so forth. I think federations should share anomalies and anomaly results too, making it easier to achieve the precursor quest line, for example.
The developers could look to Space Empires V for a skeletal policy implementation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2847 on: June 17, 2016, 07:58:21 pm »

Goodness, I am desperately trying to like this game, but the more I try to play it the more it reaches the point of tedium, especially when it comes to planet upgrades :/

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: June 17, 2016, 08:55:22 pm »

Goodness, I am desperately trying to like this game, but the more I try to play it the more it reaches the point of tedium, especially when it comes to planet upgrades :/

It just gets worse later in the game. You'll have to force yourself to "finish" one, if you don't die from boredom first. The game's just not good right now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: June 17, 2016, 09:58:04 pm »

Still turned out better then Tropico 5 did...

Not that it is saying much...
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 632