Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678398 times)

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #2970 on: July 03, 2016, 05:03:28 pm »

Man, I've really tried to like this game.  I really have.  140+ hours of trying to like it.  But I've come to the conclusion that it's hopelessly broken.  People keep saying that DLCs are going to fix it, but I can't see it.

The problem is that it just doesn't make any fucking sense.  The game is basically EU in space.  Galactic empires aren't going to act like 17th century nation-states on Earth.  Well, who knows how they would act, but I can't see a lot of interstellar despots limiting themselves to taking a few systems in a war, or being careful not to bombard populations too heavily, etc..

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: July 03, 2016, 05:13:31 pm »

I don't really see the game as broken. Just really, really bare. I can still have fun with it, though, but maybe I am easily amused.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2972 on: July 03, 2016, 05:37:28 pm »

Yeah, I'm having fun. It's not a finished game by any stretch of the imagination, but the base is solid and there's enough stuff with fleet combat and technologies to keep me happy for the time being.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: July 03, 2016, 06:50:59 pm »

there should be more event mods

a lot more.....

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: July 03, 2016, 11:07:33 pm »

Pop revolts make the most sense in large empires with few external enemies. Well-designed, a civil war could be a superb end-game crisis, where psionic warriors clash in the corridors of planet-destroying battlestations and sentient robots toil alongside enslaved alien races.... but that's fringe science-fiction, it might not be popular enough to implement in stellaris.
i c wut u did ther
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: July 04, 2016, 12:58:03 am »

Pop revolts make the most sense in large empires with few external enemies. Well-designed, a civil war could be a superb end-game crisis, where psionic warriors clash in the corridors of planet-destroying battlestations and sentient robots toil alongside enslaved alien races.... but that's fringe science-fiction, it might not be popular enough to implement in stellaris.
Psh. More like science fantasy.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: July 04, 2016, 02:42:49 am »

I don't really know what to say if you play a game for 150 hours before realizing you don't like it. Even for a Paradox game that's kind of insane (not the hours played, but hours played without enjoying it). Most games you'll know whether you like it within an hour or so. I think for games like CK2/Victoria 2 you could probably know whether it's your thing within 10 hours.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: July 04, 2016, 05:43:25 am »

Unless the problems with the game are not visible within a short timespan, depending on how you play Stellaris it could be twenty hours of gameplay before you even reach late game material.  I think, based on the posts here and comments elsewhere, that many people actually very much enjoy the early game (I know that I do) and generally enjoy the mid-game, but everywhere I look the late-game is decried as being a unpleasant experience.  So if it takes up to 20 hours to get to the late game (it could be less if you're like me and use the fast timescale for normal play and only drop it to normal during battles), then 140 hours or more is only 7 or less different games.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2978 on: July 04, 2016, 06:03:01 am »

I'm sitting on about 100 hours. Mostly been playing through to around midgame, and start over when it becomes a slog or I lose interest.
Endgame's definitely not worth it IMO, but the early stages of grabbing territory and squaring off with rivals is good fun.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: July 04, 2016, 06:03:25 am »

My major criticism is mostly that the game pretends to be deeper then it is, I guess...

Government, Ethics, "Rare" Tech... All just fluff really.

I actually have to actively roleplay my government because you are still rewarded for being a warmonger even as a peaceful government (you just don't get as good a bonus).

Rare techs come up constantly and you will usually get them all... Instead of being like "Your secret weapon". As well often it feels like the technology has a odd lack of impact... Psionics might end "oddly" (no spoilers here) but I was waiting for psionic control and hive mind of my populous.

Ethics I wish mattered more...

And these elements do not interact with eachother. (I'd love it if Xenophiles and Xenophobes get different sets rare techs)

And a lot of the features aren't as deep as they need to be or are hidden behind unusually large barriers.

STILL one of the best 4x space games I played... but as I said it has just about no competition. Endless Space and Sword of the Stars kind of show the lack of quality in 4x games.

Stellaris feels like in a fair universe it would be a 7 out of 10, good but nothing to write home about games... Rather then one of the top 10 (or top 5) best 4x space games ever.

---

I remember this one 4x game I saw where each race you added to your own was a flat out bonus (representing a bonus you got for diversity). It also featured government types that drastically altered gameplay (for example the Bees had a Monarchy with an immortal ruler... If that leader dies then they get such terrible penalties they basically die off).

It had its fair share of problems but honestly it has many great ideas that I am astonished 4x games just avoid like the plague.

I mean Masters of Orion was inherently a unbalanced mess and honestly that can work for some games as long as they are upfront about it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 06:05:01 am by Neonivek »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: July 04, 2016, 05:18:15 pm »

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: July 04, 2016, 06:27:59 pm »

Stellaris feels like in a fair universe it would be a 7 out of 10, good but nothing to write home about games... Rather then one of the top 10 (or top 5) best 4x space games ever.
I definitely agree with this sentiment. In my mind, if you compare Stellaris to any other space 4X of recent time, it blows them all out of the water. That doesn't mean Stellaris is a good game.

The stories I can write about my Stellaris empires are far more engaging than the ones I can weave in GalCiv 3 or SotS or Masters of Orion, and in my mind, that makes Stellaris worth playing. It feels a lot like CK2 in that regard: I don't think I actually enjoy playing CK2 that much in the moment, but writing up what happened and telling my friends about it is a big part of what makes that game fun.

Stellaris is in an awkward spot where it's still very much beholden to 4X expectations, so it's lacking any form of chaos and as a result, things stagnate. Empires find their natural borders and just sit there. And they don't start to rot from within. There's no dramatic rising and falling of empires. I have never seen an underdog take on a superior foe and come out on top without my help.

I think I wanted CK2 + Vicky 2 in space, but instead we got this blend of Civilization by way of Endless Space and hey look we kinda have pops too. Victoria 2 actually has so many mechanics that make for interesting storytelling -- I hope some of them make it over in Stellaris' expansions. A deeper economy would be a good start. I'd like to see coups and internal revolutions too.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2982 on: July 04, 2016, 07:12:36 pm »

Oh, having a dozen sets of mining drones in one system? I've seen that a couple of times, it's kinda funny. Lots of debris to study afterwards too, which is nice.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: July 04, 2016, 11:51:28 pm »

Except that you don't get anything even remotely useful from them. :I

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2984 on: July 04, 2016, 11:57:27 pm »

If it's still early and you don't have fusion power yet you can unlock it quickly with drone debris. Otherwise they're pretty useless
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 632