Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677299 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3630 on: November 04, 2016, 11:25:07 am »

Well, spawning additional artifacts is a step in the right direction. Now they just need a way to make events empire-unique.
It does say that the anomaly is generated in your space. So at the very least it is less likely to get scanned by someone else.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3631 on: November 04, 2016, 05:14:36 pm »

Playing as a militaristic bastard, it's actually quite nice subjugating nearby empires and forcing tributary status. They have to pay me but I have no obligation to defend them and they grow on their own. Like slightly smarter sectors that I don't give a shit about.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3632 on: November 04, 2016, 05:34:42 pm »

The vanilla odds of a pop dying from bombardment are vanishingly low if you're trying to kill them all off. Usually the enemy will surrender before you get to that point.
Yeah, but this was 3 or 4 pops dying all at the same time and starvation was in effect. Either I got unbelievably unlucky with bombardment rolls or something screwy was going on.
I'd say it was particularly horrid luck

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: November 05, 2016, 04:23:57 am »

1) Build enough corvettes to take on a fallen empire

I see that their brilliant idea to fix corvette stacks didnt work that well....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: November 05, 2016, 04:54:16 am »

I don't know what their brilliant idea was, but if it wasn't area-affecting weapons, it was doomed to fail.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: November 05, 2016, 05:30:24 am »

Do arc projectors bounce from target to target?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: November 05, 2016, 06:52:13 am »

I don't know what their brilliant idea was, but if it wasn't area-affecting weapons, it was doomed to fail.
It worked, mostly. They melt like butter in a blast furnace.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: November 05, 2016, 10:06:29 am »

The issue with corvettes is fleets tend to overkill targets, so anything with travel time will have wasted projectiles, this is one of the biggest issues with missiles, at least that I've seen. I haven't seriously tried out missiles recently, but it seems way too easy to counter with corvette spam or with flak cannons. I gave up on fighters because I watched 120 battleships worth of bombers get shot down before then even reached the enemy fleet.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: November 05, 2016, 10:45:53 am »

It worked, mostly. They melt like butter in a blast furnace.

Pretty much, yeah. With the addition of tracking, corvette spam is a thing of the past now. Tracking is subtracted straight from evasion, so for small weapons that's 50%~ taken off of evasion. Less for medium and large, of course, unless you're fielding missiles because missiles have a flat 70 Tracking score. Except for torpedeos which have only 0% tracking.

Long story short, corvettes work well against enemies that field mostly Medium or Large weaponry due to their high evasion. They'll die in a couple hits but have a high chance of dodging those low tracking, medium accuracy attacks. Unless they're up against 8M Plasma Cannon Cruisers, but nothing beats 8M Plasma Cruisers so it's no fault of their own. Against enemies with Small weaponry, that 60~80% evasion is going to plummet to 20% or so and small weapons generally have good accuracy too. So they can be countered with Corvettes of your own, or Destroyers packing small weaponry and their unique +Tracking computers. It's nice and balanced now.

The only problem I have with the current roles that the ships are in is that you don't start with all of them at or near the start of the game. Combat is obviously supposed to go Corvette < Destroyer < Cruiser < Battleship < Corvette, but that doesn't work until you reach end-game and get large enough Space Stations. So for most of the game you're going to be rolling with Destroyers and/or Cruisers because that's the best combination. You won't face  Battleships that will threaten your fleets and force you to mix things up. Unfortunately I don't think that it's something you can mod in. Not unless you want Level 7 Spaceports at the start of the game, to build these heavier ships. Hmmm... Though if you could nerf Space Station strength and slowly build it up with new technologies that could also be an option. You want that Level 7 Spaceport to be beatable in the early game after all.

I haven't seriously tried out missiles recently, but it seems way too easy to counter with corvette spam or with flak cannons.

Corvettes no longer have the option to mount PD, thanks to recent changes. And since missiles have 100% Accuracy and 70% Tracking across the board (except for Torpedeos), they are actually amazing against Corvette spam. Destroyers can mount a lot of PD for their size, so it's them you have to worry about. Especially since PD is a little too effective against missiles and fighters at the moment.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: November 05, 2016, 12:28:27 pm »

Well. Nothing like starting a new game in a nice big galaxy, only to discover a freaking Void Dragon practically on your doorstep. It's just inside my starting borders, so close that I have constant intel on it just from my homeworld's starting sensors.

I wonder if a massive corvette fleet could possibly overwhelm the creature...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: November 05, 2016, 01:17:14 pm »

The one that's half stuck in the black hole is the worst... Killing everything.... ugh.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: November 05, 2016, 01:22:30 pm »

That one is rough. Sent a mixed fleet of battleships and cruisers after it, around 20k strength, and it killed them all. Not quickly, but I wasn't doing anywhere near enough damage to justify the losses and I'm sure it regenerates damage.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: November 05, 2016, 01:49:51 pm »

Well. Nothing like starting a new game in a nice big galaxy, only to discover a freaking Void Dragon practically on your doorstep. It's just inside my starting borders, so close that I have constant intel on it just from my homeworld's starting sensors.

I wonder if a massive corvette fleet could possibly overwhelm the creature...
I defeated mine on the early late game with about 40k worth of ships with mostly level 4 plasma and giga cannons.

Barely took any losses.

I believe however that it is strong enough to fight 4 awakened Titans and win.

However, when you can finally defeat it, you'll be very happy it's right next to you. The reward is ludicrous.

-----

I actually had a more difficult time with the super jellyfish.

They move around too much.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: November 05, 2016, 02:11:05 pm »

So, I found an anomaly. It's only level 1, but it has a 60% base failure rate. Even with a 5-star scientist it still has a whopping 30% fail risk. What the heck could be so dangerous?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: November 05, 2016, 04:31:56 pm »

So, I found an anomaly. It's only level 1, but it has a 60% base failure rate. Even with a 5-star scientist it still has a whopping 30% fail risk. What the heck could be so dangerous?
Find out and then tell us.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 632