Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678118 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3735 on: November 12, 2016, 03:37:12 am »

Anyone else play with only hyperlanes???
Yeah.

In fact that's how all my games are set up. While I generally like imbalance in my grand strategy games, this one just makes things confusing and weird for me. And I like how hyperlanes make it so there's actually some semblance of defensive lines.
Same. I like the idea of different races having different forms of FTL travel, but I don't feel like it's handled well here.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: November 12, 2016, 04:00:51 am »

Anyone else play with only hyperlanes???
Pretty much me :P Makes it into a Sins of a Solar Empire-esque fashion.

[Hotfix Notes]-snip-
They...didn't fix the science ship manual retreat crash? :-\

Also could anyone please help me with some questions I posted here ._. That would be great!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: November 12, 2016, 09:34:01 am »

Sorry Tir, I've never had that particular crash. My copy doesn't crash at all unless it's on start-up when I have a bad mod enabled :/
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: November 12, 2016, 10:04:33 am »

Nope. I can't recall having any crashes. Might be something to do with your system.

Not sure where the crashlogs are stored, but if you can find them it may be an idea to go to the forums and drop them off there.
As in, when you've a science vessel with a leader caught in combat, then you press manual retreat (as in you live for the 30-ish days? :P), the game crashes?

Also another bug (I've no idea but ;~;) wherein I'm a military dictatorship (I just want the giant ships :V) and my leader then dies. I check the screen and 'x' it (not picking abstaining or electing, but highlighting a leader out of the 2 eligible ones), and then swiftly change to the advanced government because I forgot.

...Now I'm stuck with an empty leadership and the icon is still there but unclickable (I can click on it and nothing happens :I). Waited a few months and now it's gone...actually 6 years into the game (14 years remaining until government change) and I still have no choice about the election.
And I only noticed that 2 months after the noted 'choice will be made'. :V Is it because I hired a new admiral before the date?
Arrghh these bugs :-\

Sorry Tir, I've never had that particular crash. My copy doesn't crash at all unless it's on start-up when I have a bad mod enabled :/
Only mod I have is Beautiful Universe...because I want those steam achievements despite having to go through annoying ironman without any control over saves and stuff. >_<

And the system seems to handle itself quite well :/ if I can play Sins of a Solar Empire with a ton of stuff rolling in, this game could too--and it does. It just somehow crashes when that one science ship happens.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: November 12, 2016, 11:44:08 am »

Really regret not doing hyperlanes on my last game. I was on a spiral map, and could basically be attacked absolutely anywhere throughout my territory as enemy factions could just jump in wherever. Made it just a nightmare to try and mop up all the random little troop ships that ended up everywhere.

I do find hyperlanes can make it a bit too easy though - if you've got a chokepoint with a fortress (with snare + mines) and decked out starbase it's pretty much impossible for the enemy to break through. Add a few carriers and fleet support units you can pretty much just trust it's going to be unbreakable.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: November 12, 2016, 12:00:02 pm »

@Tiruin, I don't know about the goverment glitch you've gotten yourself into, is it possible to hold an emergency election?  Or change government types to say, a 5 year democracy and then change back after a vote goes through?

As for the science ship crash, I bet that's happening because science ships set to avoid hostiles try and flee themselves automatically as soon as it's able, and you clicking the retreat is most likely causing it to double-flee and break the game.
Nom nom nom

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: November 12, 2016, 12:07:30 pm »

@Tirun/Everyone,
I also had the crash on manual retreat from science ships. Doesn't seem to make a difference what stance they're set at. Lost two ships to that as there was just nothing I could do :(
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: November 12, 2016, 02:22:49 pm »

I never had a crash on hitting retreat myself.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: November 12, 2016, 02:53:52 pm »

How is current weapon balance?
Is strike aircraft useful?
Do missiles still suck except against heavy shielded ai designs with no PD?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: November 12, 2016, 02:56:10 pm »

How is current weapon balance?
Do missiles still suck except against heavy shielded ai designs with no PD?
1. Plasma is best. Except against shields.
2. Kinetic is good overall.
3. Giga Cannon and artillery is great.
4. Energy Torpedoes are good against shields. They're also immune to PD.
5. Lances are worthless. (They did just patch this so no idea if this is still true)
6. Everything else is meh.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3745 on: November 12, 2016, 03:32:16 pm »

Missile cruisers with regening shields are good VS high evasion corvette spam, especially if armed with plasma.

A neighbor sent a fleet of primarily plasma corvettes after me which I countered with missile cruisers. 8k vs 10k and my fleet won with only a few losses. The shields regened almost as fast as they were depleted.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: November 12, 2016, 03:35:52 pm »

Lance damage got upped, along with a lot of the other super-heavy weapons.

Gonna do a new balance patch for weapons for this patch. The missile range + weaker PD stuff was interesting, but they still ultimately lost out because of the lack of penetration. Thinking I'm going to slightly decrease the armor pen from kinetics (but increase their shield damage), moderately decrease the % on all armor pen weapons, and... I'm not exactly sure how I'll handle missiles. Maybe keep the previous tweaks but increase RoF on the smaller ones. I like, conceptually, the idea of them being a mass-fire long-range niche, but with practically everything else carrying armor pen (and armor being such a god-stat otherwise) it's not workable.

Might instead give them partial shield penetration based on tier and size.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: November 12, 2016, 04:13:02 pm »

Only mod I have is Beautiful Universe...because I want those steam achievements despite having to go through annoying ironman without any control over saves and stuff. >_<

And the system seems to handle itself quite well :/ if I can play Sins of a Solar Empire with a ton of stuff rolling in, this game could too--and it does. It just somehow crashes when that one science ship happens.
Try starting up a game without Beautiful Universe, see if you get the same emergency FTL bug there. You shouldn't, but stranger things have been known to happen.

Then try verifying integrity of game cache (right click game -> Properties -> Local Files tab). In theory, that's the default way to fix something obviously broken with the game (meaning obvious to Steam, corrupted files or the like). You can also try that first if you don't want to bother testing the mod.

If that doesn't work you might try uninstalling and reinstalling it completely, though with your internet speeds... :'(

In my regretful experience, no. I love the look of giant strike swarms, but PD is way too easy to get and they just bleed off damage too quickly against anything that has it. Plus they take considerably longer to reach the enemy than your longer-ranged weapon options.

They're not abysmally bad or anything, but I can't really recommend them as a default strategy.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: November 12, 2016, 04:24:54 pm »

Amoeba Flagella are pretty nice if you can get them, totally piercing shields and ignoring half the enemy's armor, giving them a damage output almost as good as top-tier bombers.
Of course, PD will shred them.

One nice thing I've seen from Scout craft is that they themselves serve as PD, shooting down enemy missiles long before they get close enough to serve as a threat to your ships.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: November 12, 2016, 05:17:13 pm »

Try starting up a game without Beautiful Universe, see if you get the same emergency FTL bug there. You shouldn't, but stranger things have been known to happen.

Then try verifying integrity of game cache (right click game -> Properties -> Local Files tab). In theory, that's the default way to fix something obviously broken with the game (meaning obvious to Steam, corrupted files or the like). You can also try that first if you don't want to bother testing the mod.

If that doesn't work you might try uninstalling and reinstalling it completely, though with your internet speeds... :'(

I tried verifying, and I don't use Beautiful Universe but I've still had the same problem unfortunately :( I wouldn't bother doing an uninstall + reinstall if you've verified, it's mostly the same thing from what I understand.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 632