Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678250 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #3855 on: November 26, 2016, 07:52:48 am »

Shields, and a mix of kinetics/plasma. Kinetics to cut through their shields and the plasma to deal with the armour underneath.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: November 26, 2016, 09:07:10 am »

Do they have point defense? If you can't get through their shields, ignore them; bombers and torpedoes would probably help quite a bit, bombers possibly more so since they also penetrate a goodly amount of armor.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: November 26, 2016, 09:10:04 am »

Do they have point defense? If you can't get through their shields, ignore them; bombers and torpedoes would probably help quite a bit, bombers possibly more so since they also penetrate a goodly amount of armor.
What do you people suggest for hangar-type builds by the way? Close-combat cruisers/carriers? (since I've no idea what the range is for strikecraft, or what counters what kind of strikecraft, like do fighters act as PD too?) Do you outfit your battleships as carriers when they only all stay back? :-\ [Is there anyway to diversify the combat computer or ship Ai at all?]

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #3858 on: November 26, 2016, 10:29:45 am »

Combination of battleships with spinal and large kinetic batteries combined with autocannon corvettes worked well for me against a fleet of plasma armed shield regening ships.

The corvettes quickly wiped out the enemy corvettes and fared well against the larger plasma guns thanks to evasion, and the battleships focus fired down their bigger ships.

I had a 12k fleet vs a 11k fleet (so I had the advantage there). I lost about 3k worth of corvettes but no battleships, and wiped out almost their entire fleet.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: November 26, 2016, 06:38:26 pm »

Oh my god. I just had my 22k fleet vs their 20k fleet. The "tug of war" battle status indicator thing was heavily biased towards me at first but I still got crushed while doing almost no damage to their army.

I don't get it. They just have plasma throwers and an occasional missile (for which I have several PD boats to defend against) combined with well-rounded shields and armor. I've tried adapting my fleet but it just won't do anything. My ships are almost entirely shield-based, I have lots of kinetic artillery and autocannons along with a decent amount of disrupters and plasmas, but I just keep on getting crushed.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: November 26, 2016, 06:41:25 pm »

Yes o_O
I dock my attack armies on the homeworld, equip them with the neoconcrete fortifications all, then attack a planet I'm at war with. The attachments don't seem to carry over when it's all blank, and despite winning (and getting the planet into friendly territory, meaning 're-equip'), I re-equip them with different attachments.

When I sally them forth back onto the homeworld, they're back to the original attachments. >______>
Bizarre. Is it possible it's just a graphical bug? Do their stats seem right/do they have the modifiers listed in their expanded mouseover text?

What do you people suggest for hangar-type builds by the way? Close-combat cruisers/carriers? (since I've no idea what the range is for strikecraft, or what counters what kind of strikecraft, like do fighters act as PD too?) Do you outfit your battleships as carriers when they only all stay back? :-\ [Is there anyway to diversify the combat computer or ship Ai at all?]
Strike craft are really long range, so no worries there. That said, they do have a relatively slow travel time relative to actual weapons fire, so it's pretty common for your carriers to take a few volleys before their strike craft arrive to retaliate. They exclusively target larger ships from what I've seen. Bombers are quite good at their job at first, but bleed off damage to PD relatively quickly. Fighters act as PD and thus shred through bombers pretty well.

I used to outfit my battleships as bomber carriers, which sort of worked and looked amazing. But I was up against fighter carriers, which meant they not only had a giant wave of PD, their hangar slots contained PD because there was nothing else to put there. The end result was that my fleet would take heavy spinal mount fire for a long time, my bombers would get decimated by their fighters but eventually push through, the surviving bombers would shred their battleships for a while but bleed out to enemy fighters/mounted PD, we'd both run out of strike craft, and our battleships would mill about slapping each other ineffectually for kind of a long while.

Oh my god. I just had my 22k fleet vs their 20k fleet. The "tug of war" battle status indicator thing was heavily biased towards me at first but I still got crushed while doing almost no damage to their army.

I don't get it. They just have plasma throwers and an occasional missile (for which I have several PD boats to defend against) combined with well-rounded shields and armor. I've tried adapting my fleet but it just won't do anything. My ships are almost entirely shield-based, I have lots of kinetic artillery and autocannons along with a decent amount of disrupters and plasmas, but I just keep on getting crushed.
Maybe it's ship type or behavioral issues, then? Their corvettes evading your battleships or... something? Have you noticed how the battles go on a smaller scale, what's targeting what and so on?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: November 26, 2016, 06:47:16 pm »

Their fleet has a lot more battleships than mine. I have about 6 (4 artillery, 2 'general') battleships and they have 11 battleships all equipped with only plasma throwers. I have about 3x their amount of corvettes and a bit less cruisers. Destroyers are about the same.

It just seems like in battles their battleships simply melt whatever target they're aimed at, regardless of class or shields or armor. When my corvettes get into range, I start losing a bit less but still get crushed.

Though this battle was caused by an inderdicting military station, so it was in close proximity. I would have thought this should have given me an advantage thanks to my larger amount of corvettes, but nooope! And I don't really think this has something to do with it, but I also have ZBeautiful battles installed, which could theoretically impact battle outcomes, I suppose?
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: November 26, 2016, 06:48:03 pm »

Plasma is pretty overpowered now and the fleet indicator doesn't take it into account. So if the AI has some kind of plasma-based fleet, being at roughly equal fleet power doesn't mean much. You either have to use Plasma yourself to even the playing field or use more ships to make up for your deficiencies. Checking what size of weapons they're using is pretty smart too. If they have a ton of Large weapons then going heavily into Corvettes makes sense. Less so if they have lots of Medium weapons but it might work. Just not as effectively.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: November 26, 2016, 08:30:22 pm »

If you're wanting to ambush them with a interdicting station, one option is to get a fleet of nothing but autocannon corvettes parked right where they'll pop out at, and a fleet of long range battleships parked at about their max range. That would let your autocannon ships immediately start work on them while your battleships stay out of range of their plasma for a bit. Since plasma is shorter range.

If most of your fleet is autocannon corvettes the ZBeautiful Battles mod might be altering the outcome. They're very short range, and that mod makes ships close slower and spread out more. I haven't personally used the mod though so I don't know.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3864 on: November 26, 2016, 08:39:17 pm »

Yeah. I think I may uninstall ZBeautiful battles when I start my next game.
I did beat them in the end, though. I just focused all my production capabilities on Corvettes and Destroyers.

I thought Corvette spam was a thing of the past, but I guess not.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: November 26, 2016, 08:55:38 pm »

Corvette spam works good against plasma because plasma has reduced tracking compared to other guns, so their evasion works better. Shield heavy corvettes with high evasion is pretty much the counter to plasma. I would suggest standard rail weaponry on the corvettes (or plasma of your own, if you have it) so you're not so outclassed in terms of range and can start hurting them before they get you.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: November 26, 2016, 09:01:09 pm »

Cruisers and above aren't bad if you're using hangars, shield capacitors or regenerative hulls with armor. I only ever replace corvettes and destroyers now, as the cruisers and battleships just regen back by the time another serious battle comes up.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: November 28, 2016, 05:23:27 pm »

I just had a population on one of my planets genetically engineer themselves with the normal event dialogue, like 2 months after I unlocked the tech, into Synthetics. As in, the third tier of robots. They can grow as a normal pop but are otherwise identical to normal synthetics.

Keep in mind, I haven't even unlocked robots, let alone synthetics.

I didn't even know this was possible. Bug? Feature? I mean, turning yourself into a robot is a thing in Sci-Fi but you'd think it'd be more explicit that this is what happened...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: November 28, 2016, 07:44:57 pm »

So... um... the lone neighboring xenophobic FE just woke up and asked for my enthrallment. I'm the biggest non-FE empire around, no allies and no pacts, sitting around with 20k-25k fleet. Autocannon III and Plasma II on most of my ships and the occasional railgun II, flak I on dedicated destroyers and cruisers though not many of those ships, particle lances on battleships. Shield capacitors and crystal plating galore, alongside Shields III and Armor IV.

I've got many early colonies that are not fully developed, colonies where frankly I am disappoint due to sector AI, and I'm already scraping the barrel with what I can field on a positive budget without an upkeep admiral. Oh and no defense stations. Not even the first ones.

Advised course of action?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: November 28, 2016, 07:47:51 pm »

Don't Fallen Empires have fleets within the 100k+ range? Based on my near-complete lack of experience, I would just say accept becoming a thrall. Maybe conquer some other thralls to consolidate your power and eventually overthrow your alien overlords. Y'know, the usual.

But side question: Has anyone found defense stations effective? I just don't get them. The best ones you can get are something like 2k power. But with maintenance and the fact that you can't have a fleet of them, how are they effective at all at actual defense? The only real use I see for them is for FTL interdiction and the occasional homefield battle support.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 632