Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678183 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4290 on: February 21, 2017, 05:41:04 am »

I've always imagined it as not 'removing' the mountain/volcano/etc but making it livable. Like a volcano tile blocker might represent lava flows and soot/ash, layers of molten rock that have hardened. Removing that blocker means you've made the area safe for production. Diverted lava flows, cleaned up the air, cleared the basaltic rock, whatever is necessary. Probably somehow caused the volcano to remain dormant or at least put in some kind of pressure regulation system so that if it starts to build up you can vent it.

As amusing as it is to imagine just bulldozing a mountain, I doubt that is really what is happening.

also:

Syncretic Evolution and Hive Minds

woot
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 06:43:39 am by forsaken1111 »

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: February 21, 2017, 06:57:42 am »

They are already demolishing mountains with explosives in America for mining purposes, so given sufficient motivation, it would be possible even with our technology and resources. Tends to fuck up local climate, though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4292 on: February 21, 2017, 06:59:51 am »

I have no doubt that it is possible, but we didn't dynamite the fuck out of the swiss alps and level the entire area in order to settle there. They cut paths and roads and such but there are still mountains.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: February 21, 2017, 07:08:00 am »

Quote from: Dense Jungle Removal
Flash deforestation is, in and of itself, nothing revolutionary. Accomplishing it in a tightly controlled area on a strict schedule, however, is.
Quote from: Massive Glacier Removal
Flash-vaporization engines quickly and efficiently erase glacial ice, at the expense of some increased heat and atmospheric humidity in the local area.
Quote from: Mountain Range Removal
Sometimes there is very little difference between terraformation and demolition.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4294 on: February 21, 2017, 07:23:51 am »

Those quotes suggest that only small areas of jungle or glacial ice are removed, and somewhat reinforce my theory. The last one is too generic to draw any conclusion from. Demolition can mean anything from carving out a small road to exploding an entire hillside and beyond.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: February 21, 2017, 11:18:52 am »

Are the Stellaris Pardox forums having problems for anybody else? I think the login servers might be down because I was able to visit it on a mobile device which doesn't auto-login to the Stellaris Paradox forum.

Nvm, it's back up now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:09:08 pm by smjjames »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: February 21, 2017, 08:58:30 pm »

You wouldn't want to bulldoze a volcano anyways, you might unleash the kraken lava, right?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: February 21, 2017, 09:30:25 pm »

You wouldn't want to bulldoze a volcano anyways, you might unleash the kraken lava, right?
That'd be a nice random event.

"So, uh, remember that volcano you were having us plug? Well, we sort of accidentally destabilized the planet's mantel and the surface is undergoing a massive caldera eruption, the planet will be unable to support life in six months if we don't do something"

- Evacuate the colonists, there's nothing we can do.
- Plug that hole by any means necessary!
- (Spiritualist) Stop looking at the ground!
- (Xenophobe) I bet Anrosath Stellar Kingdom is behind this!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4298 on: February 21, 2017, 09:35:29 pm »

Those quotes suggest that only small areas of jungle or glacial ice are removed, and somewhat reinforce my theory. The last one is too generic to draw any conclusion from. Demolition can mean anything from carving out a small road to exploding an entire hillside and beyond.
Y'see, that's what bugs me. We're already able to build full-scale mining centers in mountain ranges.

I'd be all for a mod that adds a few more blockers, some of which might have very high tech limitations, and made all planets size 25. Earth could have some mountains and oceans that need clearing.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: February 21, 2017, 09:40:48 pm »

Y'see, that's what bugs me. We're already able to build full-scale mining centers in mountain ranges.

I'd be all for a mod that adds a few more blockers, some of which might have very high tech limitations, and made all planets size 25. Earth could have some mountains and oceans that need clearing.
Why? So the planets are even more alike than they already are?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4300 on: February 21, 2017, 09:56:13 pm »

That'd be a nice random event.

"So, uh, remember that volcano you were having us plug? Well, we sort of accidentally destabilized the planet's mantel and the surface is undergoing a massive caldera eruption, the planet will be unable to support life in six months if we don't do something"

- Evacuate the colonists, there's nothing we can do.
- Plug that hole by any means necessary!
- (Spiritualist) Stop looking at the ground!
- (Xenophobe) I bet Anrosath Stellar Kingdom is behind this!
Those damn Anrosaths! First they poisoned the water that conveniently killed all the political dissidents. Then they burned all potential damning evidence those dissidents had inside a giant active volcano on a distant planet. Now they destabilized the mantel of that planet by plugging up that very same volcano!

Will their villany never cease?!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4301 on: February 21, 2017, 10:47:49 pm »

Syncretic Evolution and Hive Minds
I like that the second top comment on the hive mind one is calling them out for missiles being worthless.

For me, this reinforces what forsaken was saying but even moreso. Remember that Iron Age civs are already said to have spread across most of their planet, so tiles don't make a ton of sense as proportionate geographic regions. More likely they represent something a bit more convoluted, or their exploitation represents a really high bar for output.

So with that in mind, having your output on a planet blocked by a giant rock physically occupying too much space doesn't make a ton of sense to me. I'd think it'd have to be a much more advanced issue, which means dealing with it would probably have to be similarly complex and nuanced. The kind of thing that doesn't really occur to you until you're an interstellar empire.

Why? So the planets are even more alike than they already are?
Beyond Earth had this problem, and it really sucked a lot of flavor out of the game. It was there to an extent in previous Civ games, but the last few had enough luxury resources to keep you settling near specific tiles in order to keep your people productive. BE did away with luxuries and had only a half dozen strategics, most of which you didn't really need unless you were at war and weren't really essential even then. The net result was that the majority of your cities weren't really there for a particular reason or purpose beyond "generate stuff," which in turn usually sucked the personality right out of them.

So with that in mind, I'll have to second extreme wariness at making planets more similar. I'd love to have more to do with them, but I dunno if it'd be worth it if doing so turns each one into even more of a shapeless blob in your empire.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4302 on: February 21, 2017, 10:59:44 pm »

My idea was mainly that they'd all be base size 25, but they would have blockers that are hard or nearly impossible to remove, such as "deep ocean" or even simply "wasteland," and then even once you have the tech to clear them, it'd still be really expensive. So an old world would eventually be useful.

Maybe even not every world is 25, although ones that have significantly more tiles than Earth should be high-g, and those smaller than earth should be low. It just really seems weird to me that one can even have a size 25 low-g world.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4303 on: February 21, 2017, 11:52:23 pm »

My idea was mainly that they'd all be base size 25, but they would have blockers that are hard or nearly impossible to remove, such as "deep ocean" or even simply "wasteland," and then even once you have the tech to clear them, it'd still be really expensive. So an old world would eventually be useful.

Maybe even not every world is 25, although ones that have significantly more tiles than Earth should be high-g, and those smaller than earth should be low. It just really seems weird to me that one can even have a size 25 low-g world.
It's hollow.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4304 on: February 22, 2017, 10:51:06 am »

I don't see anything on the forums, and the version number on the launcher remains at 1.4.1 (the last patch released in December).  I'm not sure, either.
Pages: 1 ... 285 286 [287] 288 289 ... 632