Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678251 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4695 on: April 23, 2017, 01:49:30 pm »

So I started a game as a hive mind race, just to try it out. Made them powerful warriors that could hopefully just steamroll whatever they encounter, and purely for flavor's sake edited their files so that they have Tomb World preference.

Start the game, begin to explore my home system...and then I get a message from another race. A Fallen Empire of the Holy Guardian flavor. They're already pissed at me for daring to evolve on a world they consider holy. Oh, and they're maybe five hyperspace jumps away from me.

How totally screwed am I?

That's impressively Dwarf Fortress like, kudos to Paradox. I've had something similar happen, but it was because I started right next to an isolationist one and the only planets I could colonize were still right there next to their borders. I tried forming a series of defensive pacts but to no avail.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: April 23, 2017, 01:56:16 pm »

Okay so the FE has thus far declined to go to war with me. I even settled another tomb world (one of the worlds that always spawn near you that match your preferred type) and they remain at -50 opinion. Well, I'm not going to complain.

Another odd thing that happened is that I found another civ not too far from me, one of those xenophobic spiritualists. I closed borders of course, declared them a rival, did my best to start building up a fleet for inevitable war...and just a minute ago they completely dropped off the radar. They no longer appear in my contact list, nothing showed up in the event log. However, scouting what was their turf reveals that there are still plenty of stations up and worlds are still inhabited...so, what happened?

EDIT: Apparently they got rolled up by an advanced start AI, probably via warfare. Friggin wonderful. Fallen Empires on one side and AIs with massive head starts on the other.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:00:38 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: April 23, 2017, 04:21:33 pm »

so i demoed this game (because fuck paradox) and gave it a try despite fuck paradox.
build a few colonies, build a few mining and research stations.
build another colony. some ai duder comes in contact with me, and immidiately declares war.
ha! i have a strong fleet, so i send all my 10 corvetes to defend the colony in dispute.
a few days later, a fleet of like 50 battleships arrive, strengh 47000.
guess at least i didnt pay. -> uninstall.
combat system is complete bullshit anyhow, and that micromanagement drove me nuts too.
making ai empires that strong that a game is doomed from the stat is just the icing on the cake.

edit, just noticed this has been talked about the previous page.

That's impressively Dwarf Fortress like, kudos to Paradox.
na, thats totally not df like. in df YOU screw up. you have a chance to learn from your mistakes.
in this game, you are doomed from the start. there is nothign to learn, there is nothing to avoid. its complete bullshit and very much not df like.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 04:27:24 pm by motorbitch »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: April 23, 2017, 04:31:17 pm »

Sounds like you probably pissed off a Fallen Empire. That can happen sometimes.

Started a new game after the advanced start AI blew my overmatched hive mind fleet out of space, this time as an expy of the Tau from 40k (Materialist, Xenophile, Authoritarian, with caste system slavery and the civic that starts with robot pops). Only 4 jumps away from my homeworld I discover a system called Sanctuary, which contains a freaking ringworld covered with numerous space stations. A transmission warns me to stay away from the ringworld as it is basically a zoo that has been abandoned for something like 60 million years, the animals on which have developed sapience.

I'm not quite sure how to go about this thing right now.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: April 23, 2017, 04:50:37 pm »

Colonise it, of course, and exterminate the filthy xenos broods upon it.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: April 23, 2017, 05:02:58 pm »

And get annihilated because the Fallen Empire protects it :D

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: April 23, 2017, 05:04:59 pm »

I'll have to get through the dozen or so space stations guarding it, first. I'm still at corvette level.

Hell, I'm so early that the pirate event just occurred. The pirate base is, predictably enough, in a system which is already loaded with privateers. I'm basically blocked from expanding that way.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: April 23, 2017, 05:11:32 pm »

so i demoed this game (because fuck paradox) and gave it a try despite fuck paradox.
build another colony. some ai duder comes in contact with me, and immidiately declares war.
ha! i have a strong fleet, so i send all my 10 corvetes to defend the colony in dispute.
combat system is complete bullshit anyhow, and that micromanagement drove me nuts too.
making ai empires that strong that a game is doomed from the stat is just the icing on the cake.

na, thats totally not df like. in df YOU screw up. you have a chance to learn from your mistakes.
in this game, you are doomed from the start. there is nothign to learn, there is nothing to avoid. its complete bullshit and very much not df like.

So you're mad at Paradox because either you're bad at the game and/or the RNG fucked you over? Interesting.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: April 23, 2017, 05:29:47 pm »

RNG fucking you over is expected. In fact, I wish the RNG would fuck me over MORE as it forces me to adapt to things, such as agreeing to becoming someone's tributary until I have enough strenght to break out of their yoke. My games tend to be rather peaceful, too.

Anyway ye, one can criticize the game for a lot of things, but that reasoning is kinda crazy.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: April 23, 2017, 05:33:25 pm »

yeah and besides, fallen empires will rarely do more than take/destroy one offending colony/station or just humiliate you.  I've had a lot of games where I just had to concede to a FE in the first few years, only to slowly build up and steam roll them later since they don't grow at all.
Nom nom nom

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: April 24, 2017, 12:33:05 am »

So auto-explore has one fairly glaring flaw.

I just had a brand new scientist set on auto-explore so he could build up his skills. The idiot ran straight to Sanctuary (which is still not pacified, BTW. I'm still working up to battleships) and tried to survey the system despite the fifteen or so defense stations covering everything surveyable. He and his ship died almost instantly.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: April 24, 2017, 12:46:43 am »

Yeah, I don't know if it comes from the 1.5 update, but I've recently had civilian ships (set to avoid enemies) go into systems they knew had enemies, even with another path available.
It happened from Auto-survey and from a move order (to a system after then one with enemies), even when their own sensors saw the enemies :/

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: April 24, 2017, 12:50:36 am »

Had you maybe changed the stance on the science ships?  I'm still finding the auto-explore will avoid any system where I've previously encountered hostiles if I keep it on the default 'Flee!' stance (it's only the systems I've never been to they get caught out by... and it seems that spotting on sensors from adjacent systems isn't enough, I have to actually enter the system with the hostiles to 'tag' it as dangerous).

It's a bit of annoying micromanagement, but to that end I always send out a lone corvette or constructor to all of the surrounding unexplored systems before the science ships head out, just to uncover any hostiles that are present with something expendable instead of a 5 star scientist.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: April 24, 2017, 01:30:50 am »

The toggle to avoid enemies only activates on enemy ships, hostile stations are ignored. This makes survey ships on auto-exploration get themselves killed on stuff like drone mining bases if the drone fleet has been cleared but the station remains.

This should definitely be a bug.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: April 24, 2017, 02:17:27 am »

I don't get why so many people don.t like paradox. I have a min. wage job with kids, the games are not expensive. =/
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 632