Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1677263 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #4725 on: April 24, 2017, 04:46:26 pm »

I only wish the AI was more coordinated and overall smart about its offensives. They always send a doomstack and very rarely fight in more than one front, plus you can lock the AI on a "holy shit, I better get back to my home system" loop just by sending tiny fleets of corvettes to the enemy capital system.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: April 24, 2017, 04:59:42 pm »

Distant worlds had way more awesome ship designer/ship combat/land combat/super structures.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: April 24, 2017, 05:39:34 pm »

-snippity snippity snoop-

What settings are you using? everything basically set to normal for me, but I play on the 1000 star galaxy w/ 30 empires and 4-5 fallen empires. There are wars, I'm just never part of them. I've really only ever had a massive stellar conflict once, which was legendary to be sure, but still it only happened once and after about 100-200 years that power was diminished.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: April 24, 2017, 08:36:41 pm »

Um, large galaxy with fairly normal settings. I did bump up the habitable worlds to 1.25%.  Don't think I did anything else strange. Might have bumped up the # of empires slightly. No mods or anything running at the moment.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: April 25, 2017, 01:47:09 am »

This is true. Unless they upgraded it since the last time I played, as long as you can handle the doomstack with most of your fleet, you can split off a small part of it and go on a whirlwind tour of the enemy systems and blow up their star bases. Once that's done, the most they'll get in reinforcements is a trickle of corvettes.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: April 25, 2017, 04:11:25 am »

I don't get why so many people don.t like paradox. I have a min. wage job with kids, the games are not expensive. =/
The games are not expensive, until you factor in the whole sections of the game locked away by hundreds of quid worth of DLC
Its not as if people made this game for money or anything, I mean not even the company, but the team who also have expenses in their lives.
Game development is a seriously competitive industry, constant and reliable income is a MUST for development.
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: April 25, 2017, 04:24:37 am »

I don't get why so many people don.t like paradox. I have a min. wage job with kids, the games are not expensive. =/
The games are not expensive, until you factor in the whole sections of the game locked away by hundreds of quid worth of DLC

>whole sections of the game locked away

is this how you imagine dlc dev

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: April 25, 2017, 08:21:06 am »

You're right in some cases, but a lot of times Paradox also adds a buttload of free content per update. Look at Vanilla CKII, still way diff than the original base game.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: April 25, 2017, 10:16:07 am »

The issue isn't 'We don't want to pay a fair price for game development', the problem is that Paradox (especially with Stellaris) are selling something as a full game but when you buy it, it turns out that lots of core mechanics are missing/basic, and are what amounts to placeholders for DLC. The game has been DESIGNED around DLC - which is what I dislike.

Again, it's not the cost issue, it's the practice itself. I'm happy to pay a fair price for work, and I happily by DLC for some games (Witcher/Skyrim for example), but neither of those games locked away fast travel or whatever behind DLC. The game was complete, and DLC was extra if you want it - Paradox is making the core game DLC.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: April 25, 2017, 11:00:56 am »

The issue isn't 'We don't want to pay a fair price for game development', the problem is that Paradox (especially with Stellaris) are selling something as a full game but when you buy it, it turns out that lots of core mechanics are missing/basic, and are what amounts to placeholders for DLC. The game has been DESIGNED around DLC - which is what I dislike.

Again, it's not the cost issue, it's the practice itself. I'm happy to pay a fair price for work, and I happily by DLC for some games (Witcher/Skyrim for example), but neither of those games locked away fast travel or whatever behind DLC. The game was complete, and DLC was extra if you want it - Paradox is making the core game DLC.
It's true that it's released pretty basic, but the core gameplay upgrades tend to come for free with the updates. Like, what Stellaris DLC content do you think should be part of the core game? Or even CK2, which has been out and accruing DLC for ages?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4735 on: April 25, 2017, 02:26:52 pm »

Stellaris' base game without any DLC have received massive changes and continue to do so. The DLC so far adds superfluous fluff, nothing you will miss if you can't or don't want to afford it. Example, in 1.6 they're adding the ability to repair/rebuild damaged megastructures. People with Utopia can find a damaged dyson sphere and repair it for example.

Well people without Utopia can still find and repair ringworlds, which were in the base game. They're adding content and not locking it behind the DLC even though they could easily have done so.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: April 25, 2017, 02:48:16 pm »

It's true that it's released pretty basic, but the core gameplay upgrades tend to come for free with the updates. Like, what Stellaris DLC content do you think should be part of the core game? Or even CK2, which has been out and accruing DLC for ages?

Idk about stellaris, but for CK2 the ability to play different types of rulers, even if their rules are the same or slightly reflavored versions of the base rulers if you don't have their dlc, is an obvious one.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: April 25, 2017, 02:48:43 pm »

I only played this game on release, is it worth going back to in its current state?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: April 25, 2017, 02:52:12 pm »

It depends. What did you like about the game when you first played it? What did you hate? Hard to give a proper answer if we don't know this kind of stuff.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: April 25, 2017, 02:52:49 pm »

I only played this game on release, is it worth going back to in its current state?

Mods help it a lot. Mostly the same, but much more finely tuned than vanilla with some added flavor.
Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 632