Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678127 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5880 on: February 24, 2018, 11:46:26 am »

I think the marauders and war exhaustion need serious tweaking, but the ideas behind all the big changes are solid. Right now it is best to play without marauders and not have many wars to avoid frustration...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5881 on: February 24, 2018, 12:14:59 pm »

so I was curious about the state of the sector AI now. I gave a sector one planet and a few systems with mines for income. The planet was newly colonized. It immediately put down a gene clinic which increases pop growth, the next building was a farm because the sector was -2 on food. Seems smart so far. After that it developed as expected with mines on minerals and power plants on energy tiles. It put down a unity building as well.

so far it SEEMS better

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5882 on: February 24, 2018, 01:34:45 pm »

I'll admit I'm still annoyed that they didn't implement proper ship classes and upgrading a fleet will just change every ship to a single class of each hull type. Unless just upgrading the same design and not copying it averts that? But then you can't see which generation the class is on, which is half the fun.
What? You absolutely can do that... I have two different destroyer classes and 3 corvette classes and it handles them just fine.

There is definitely some weirdness going on with the upgrade system. I had a mixed fleet of corvettes and after clicking the upgrade button the fleet was composed of a single type.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5883 on: February 24, 2018, 01:50:06 pm »

Must be a new bug, because I've always been able to run and upgrade fleets with multiple types of each class.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5884 on: February 24, 2018, 02:29:55 pm »

What you need to do is make sure the names are the same as what you want to upgrade to- For example, steve-class battleship and imperial-1 class battleship, you make imperial-2 and update steve, then click update, everyone's going to go to steves update most likely. Enjoy a fleet of steves.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5885 on: February 24, 2018, 03:46:46 pm »

What you need to do is make sure the names are the same as what you want to upgrade to- For example, steve-class battleship and imperial-1 class battleship, you make imperial-2 and update steve, then click update, everyone's going to go to steves update most likely. Enjoy a fleet of steves.

today is a good day for humanity. i present to you our first battleship class ship, the Steve-class; AUS Crikey, named after our hero and saint.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5886 on: February 24, 2018, 04:03:23 pm »

Quote from: Chiefwaffles
stuff about disliking difficulty of conquering planets
Honestly I kinda like it. It shouldn't be easy to roll over fortified planets. The two big problems Stellaris had with the strategic layer of war were the ability of fleets to totally bypass defenses and the relative ease with which planets could be taken and retaken.

Independently I’m mostly fine with the change to conquering planets. But my main problem is that when combined with war exhaustion  it makes war as a whole an even longer more tedious slog than before.
It taking longer to take planets is one thing, but the system makes it downright impossible to wage war long enough to take more than one planet unless you have super-infantry.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5887 on: February 24, 2018, 04:26:10 pm »

I think the marauders and war exhaustion need serious tweaking, but the ideas behind all the big changes are solid. Right now it is best to play without marauders and not have many wars to avoid frustration...

Looking at the war exhaustion breakdown (and various post on Steam and Paradox forums) it's not so much that war exhaustion needs tweaking as it is the fact that they missed a giant comet-sized bug that makes your wins count as defeats. I just basically beat myself into submission by blitzing the enemy and capturing several of their systems, each giving ME war exhaustion as a 'defeat'  ::)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5888 on: February 24, 2018, 04:45:57 pm »

I'm not personally seeing that bug, however it's certainly the case that even without the bug war exhaustion is too harsh and some wargoals are too hard. I tried to vasalize an enemy, and found that taking all of their planets AND all but about 3 sectors was too little warscore to actually win, I also had to go and beat up their ally and take some of their planets. Such massive requirements combined with how hard taking planets is (defensive armies are several times stronger then attack armies, bombing them takes forever, and when you loose your expensive attacking armies ((and you will loose them, since defensive armies are so silly strong)) it causes a large amount of exhaustion) and with very fast attrition ticking upward makes it hard to actually achieve wargoals. I can see what they were sorta thinking, in that you're suppose to take slices out of your opponent in every war and then have a cool down time, but other objectives are too hard to achieve (I'm pretty sure making someone a tributary shouldn't be harder then complete annexation). It does feel like it's not an awful system (although I think I might prefer something other then just throwing your hands up and saying "wars over" when you both hit 100%) but the numbers certainly need work.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5889 on: February 24, 2018, 05:39:02 pm »

I'll admit I'm still annoyed that they didn't implement proper ship classes and upgrading a fleet will just change every ship to a single class of each hull type. Unless just upgrading the same design and not copying it averts that? But then you can't see which generation the class is on, which is half the fun.
What? You absolutely can do that... I have two different destroyer classes and 3 corvette classes and it handles them just fine.

There is definitely some weirdness going on with the upgrade system. I had a mixed fleet of corvettes and after clicking the upgrade button the fleet was composed of a single type.
Must be a bug then. My current fleet consists of picket corvettes, swarm corvettes, artillery destroyers that hold a line, picket destroyers, and then cruisers with long range artillery and cruisers with close in weapons. They upgrade just fine and keep the separate classes

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5890 on: February 24, 2018, 06:43:13 pm »

Must be a bug then. My current fleet consists of picket corvettes, swarm corvettes, artillery destroyers that hold a line, picket destroyers, and then cruisers with long range artillery and cruisers with close in weapons. They upgrade just fine and keep the separate classes

Looks like it was the problem with changing names. If you've got a class called, say, "Sparrow", you upgrade and name the new iteration "Sparrow II", the game doesn't connect the dots and treats them as two different classes. So if you also have a class of the same size called "Sky Rat" and design "Sky Rat II", then upgrade all of both of the original classes, they'll just pick whichever one of the MkIIs the game deems "better" and all upgrade to that. If, on the other hand, you just modify the original designs and don't rename them or create new iterations with a series marker, they auto-upgrade as they should.

This is why the inability to select upgrade paths is dumb, and it's one of those things that shows PDX's inexperience with space 4X since that's a very common feature in games with manual ship design.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5891 on: February 24, 2018, 07:36:44 pm »

Pirates are so annoying right now. doesnt matter how many times you crush them, they will always return stronger. I guess that by endgame they will be spawning 50k stacks.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5892 on: February 24, 2018, 07:53:14 pm »

Pirates are so annoying right now. doesnt matter how many times you crush them, they will always return stronger. I guess that by endgame they will be spawning 50k stacks.
I haven't seen one larger than around 5k and I'm about 400 years into my game. They only spawn if you have uncontrolled systems on your border, so if you build out to your neighbors then no pirates.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5893 on: February 24, 2018, 08:03:50 pm »

I haven't seen one larger than around 5k and I'm about 400 years into my game. They only spawn if you have uncontrolled systems on your border, so if you build out to your neighbors then no pirates.

Bad mechanic anyway. The game is forcing you to expand just to get rid of annoyances.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5894 on: February 24, 2018, 08:39:36 pm »

Bad mechanic anyway. The game is forcing you to expand just to get rid of annoyances.
I honestly never had a problem with them myself. Are you neglecting your military? My peaceful spiritualist xenophiles had enough of a military to fight them off. Later I just put up a nice beefy defense station at a chokepoint and let the pirates hit that whenever they came in.
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 632