Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678179 times)

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #5955 on: February 27, 2018, 04:44:01 pm »

It has a video clip- sounds sorta like a Scottish/Irish accent.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5956 on: February 27, 2018, 06:07:17 pm »

10/10 turned galaxy into magmae

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: February 27, 2018, 11:45:15 pm »

Stellaris combat is just so... imprecise. There's not really any maneuvering involved and frankly it's pretty easy for a huge fleet to catch a smaller one or ignore it entirely. Taking planets that are fortified can take so long that the enemy just gets to you before you can land. It's definitely possible to circumvent this, but it's just boring and tedious.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: February 28, 2018, 05:00:38 am »

I think the best combat in Paradox games was still in March of the Eagles. CAn't help but wish Stellaris had that kind of depth with choosing tactics and whatnot.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: February 28, 2018, 07:55:35 am »

I just wish they'd taken more cues from SoaSE and let us keep tactical control after engagement. Losing control is okay when it's an abstract blob of troops and you don't want to do the Total War thing, but the rest of Stellaris is already set up so that it'd be entirely reasonable for you to manage broad strokes stuff.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: February 28, 2018, 04:29:16 pm »

I dunno, the problem is that the battles are so huge really the only strategies are attack en masse or disengage. I would rather have it abstracted entirely if they aren't going to go the Total War method. And honestly, considering how cataclysmic the fleet battles can be, a TW style system would be sweet.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: February 28, 2018, 08:41:45 pm »

Btw. The Enigmatic Fortress event chain is broken in 2.0.1.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: February 28, 2018, 09:23:28 pm »

Kiting would be a viable strategy if you weren't locked out of ship control in combat. Load up on longer range weapons and retreat constantly so the main body of their fleet can't engage you
(Basically all stellaris aeappns seem to be on 360* turret mounts after all)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: March 01, 2018, 03:57:53 am »

Ok, I have to say that I like a lot of the quality of life changes so far. Civilian ships not taking up military shipyard queues, removing tile blockers only needing energy, recruiting leaders now using energy, and fulfilling campaign promises rewarding unity are all good changes from my viewpoint.

*edit* That said, the change to trader guilds make me sad. No longer will my late game mineral needs be met by trading them tens of thousands of energy for minerals.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:07:40 am by Hanzoku »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: March 01, 2018, 11:57:19 am »

Quote from: From the 2.0.2 Beta Patch Notes
* You are no longer forced to make peace at 100% war exhaustion, instead your Influence and Unity monthly gains are reduced to 0 and a happiness penalty is applied to all Pops until you make peace.
* Increased energy upkeep of all Starbase sizes by +1. Outposts now cost 1 energy maintenance. (Why?)
* Marauder raiding fleets are now neutral to everyone except their intended target so they won't wreck everything in their path when they go a-viking.
* Tradition unity cost per system reduced from 2% to 1%.
* Increased time limits of all Special Projects requiring a ship in orbit (new minimum is 3 years).
* Afterburners can no longer be installed on defense platforms, as lovely as it was to uselessly vent fuel in to space as a gesture of contempt to environmentalists.
* Nihilistic Acquisition can now be taken by purifier-style empires.

Some nice changes coming up in the next patch. I might actually load up the 2.0.2 beta just to fiddle with them. The fact that Purifier-style empires can now abduct pops for the express purposes of purging them tickles me greatly too. It's up there with Rogue Servitors doing the same, except to gently coddle the pops instead.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: March 01, 2018, 12:59:22 pm »

Genocidal kidnappers, lovely. I wonder if the energy maintenance for outposts is going to tank economies, though. Especially for synthetic empires who need energy to feed their population. That might require specialized planets for energy production, which in turn makes science and unity more expensive.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: March 01, 2018, 01:31:52 pm »

Yeesh, that energy hit is going to hurt my current game. Pretty strapped for energy lately. Guess I'll have to step up the energy production to keep up.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: March 01, 2018, 01:37:25 pm »

Ok, I have to say that I like a lot of the quality of life changes so far. Civilian ships not taking up military shipyard queues, removing tile blockers only needing energy, recruiting leaders now using energy, and fulfilling campaign promises rewarding unity are all good changes from my viewpoint.

*edit* That said, the change to trader guilds make me sad. No longer will my late game mineral needs be met by trading them tens of thousands of energy for minerals.
If fulfilling campaign promises in was that useful in real life, politicians might actually do it!

Quote from: From the 2.0.2 Beta Patch Notes
* Tradition unity cost per system reduced from 2% to 1%.
Which is nice I guess but science is what needs this more. Unity you can at least make the argument that it's supposed to be slow since if you run out, it's a dead mechanic. But lacking science is a pretty major thing. And I'm really hoping this is in addition to rather than instead of fixing the issue that the unity penalty was calculated by multiplying the (individually summed) penalties from planets and outposts together.

* Increased energy upkeep of all Starbase sizes by +1. Outposts now cost 1 energy maintenance. (Why?)

Just in case anyone was so foolish as to suppose that the unity change might make it more viable to claim everything within your borders instead of making a swiss cheese empire.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: March 01, 2018, 01:41:04 pm »

They confirmed that unity is supposed to increase additively instead of multiplicatively. If they haven't fixed that already then it should be in the next patch but I don't think I saw it in the patch notes? Who knows.

EDIT:
Quote from: Beta 2.0.2 Patch Notes
* Fixed system/colony tradition costs being multiplied on each other instead of additive

Apparently I'm just blind. They definitely fixed that issue.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 01:45:37 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: March 01, 2018, 05:24:04 pm »

Eh, looks like they're pushing harder to stop the octopus -> cell wall -> "I'll claim all the interior stuff eventually" school of expansion. I can understand why; in my current game I only recently passed the point where I had more occupied systems than unoccupied systems enclosed by my border wall. And I have a shitload of occupied systems, with energy output so high that I just buy every high-cost energy event that pops so that it doesn't feel useless sitting at the cap.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 632