Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 632

Author Topic: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE  (Read 1678154 times)

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Paradox Interactive IN SPACE
« Reply #6540 on: June 12, 2018, 11:28:43 pm »

but then again the "murder everything" civics races do have the advantage to not care about claims and can take over tons of space. i think that is way more an advantage than caring about the 10 years peace.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: June 12, 2018, 11:30:59 pm »

Sure they have an advantage, it still doesn't make any damn sense why they care about the treaty.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6542 on: June 12, 2018, 11:45:57 pm »

They also have the disadvantage that every empire has the exact same CB back at them, with a different name, and hates them just as much.  I assume that's why they seemed to get stomped fast in my games (perhaps mitigated now with chokepoint-hyperlanes, but still).
I think they get a fire speed/influence boost too, but not enough for the AI to faceroll.
A player, with the slightest amount of guile when initially evaluating neighbors and choosing borders - different story.  Then pure faceroll after early game.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6543 on: June 13, 2018, 12:01:08 am »

I feel like as far as multiplayer balancing goes, they might be better off with a checkbox to disable them as playable nations for players rather then being a sorted watered down and boring implementation of what its potential is. Like, does anyone think that stellaris should be the game sacrificing fun game mechanics to try to be a really tight competitive multiplayer four x? It feels like stellaris is the last four x that should be chasing that goal to me honestly. But I'm not sure that you can really blame multiplayer for it, as a sorted watered down and boring implementation of what its potential is kinda describes the whole game.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:03:19 am by Criptfeind »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: June 13, 2018, 02:15:16 am »

...is there any other Space 4x you can think of that people regularly play multiplayer?  Because all I've got is Sins of a Solar Empire and that's a sort of 4x/RTS love child.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: June 13, 2018, 07:49:08 am »

I mean, games that I think are closer to being viable as a competitive multiplayer thing then stellaris: Almost any other space 4x. In my own personal experience off the top of my head MoO and Endless space both feel more readily 'gamey' then stellaris when playing multiplayer.

But I think it's important to note that I'm not talking about just multiplayer, but doing it heavily competitively, stellaris is good for a more casual and friendly game of multiplayer, but watering down features and wasting potential in the name of some hard core competitiveness in the multiplayer is a mistake and trying to make stellaris do something it's not great at at the cost of what it, at least could be, good at. Make the game actually interesting to play first, then you can worry about making it more competitive in multiplayer (even if that means making a toggle that disallows the more out there options in play.) because right now the exterminator races are pretty disappointing to play or at least just... to much the same as everything else. And that's kinda stellaris big issue in the long run is that everything it just too much the same as everything else.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:23:05 am by Criptfeind »

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6546 on: June 13, 2018, 08:20:24 am »

Wait, that was a thing you could do?  I had a science ship trapped across the galaxy because of that and just had to wait for the hostile empire to expand to the system for the ship to go missing, since I didn't know that was something I could do.  This was before the speculative hyperlane breaching tech was introduced.

Relatedly, it's kind of annoying that empires can close borders with magical forcefields.  It would be more interesting if you could go into their territory anyway and just make them mad.

I think they said it’s a deliberate choice to stop play of the “park capital fleets over every vulnerable word, bypassing any static defenses, then declare war” variety?

yeah, but that's easily solved with forcing fleets into MIA mode if they're in enemy territory when the war starts (some Civs) or simply blocking war declarations if you're in enemy territory (EU4 and CK2 do this).

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: June 13, 2018, 09:40:57 am »

forcing fleets into MIA mode if they're in enemy territory when the war starts
This already happens in-game, based on my completely-un-modded personal experience.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6548 on: June 13, 2018, 10:21:25 am »

forcing fleets into MIA mode if they're in enemy territory when the war starts
This already happens in-game, based on my completely-un-modded personal experience.

good - one less reason to have magically closed borders

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6549 on: June 13, 2018, 03:15:25 pm »

I mean in real life walking an army into someone's territory *is* a declaration of war.  Every other nation would view that as a war of aggression.  Paradox is forcing you to go to the diplomacy screen/preventing players from starting misclick wars.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6550 on: June 13, 2018, 10:28:44 pm »

reminds me of... i think civ games... that have that popup too about "declare war?" when you try to move your army into other peoples areas

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: June 14, 2018, 07:06:45 am »

I mean in real life walking an army into someone's territory *is* a declaration of war.  Every other nation would view that as a war of aggression.  Paradox is forcing you to go to the diplomacy screen/preventing players from starting misclick wars.

plenty of other games don't do this. ck2, total wars, etc.

real life is not a good guide to making an interesting game.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6552 on: June 14, 2018, 07:54:03 am »

Counter-example- EU4 does make you do this.

yes, as was discussed above.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: June 14, 2018, 08:09:37 am »

plenty of other games don't do this. ck2, total wars, etc.

real life is not a good guide to making an interesting game.
Both the examples you cited take cues from real life.

In CKII's time period, there wasn't really the modern concept of closed borders, so marching an army through someone else's territory could happen and there wasn't much rulers could do about that. Total War uses the same concept but gives you consequences for it that make sense. You're free to move your armies around someone else's territory, but unless you get military access from them first, their opinion of you is going to drop significantly.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: June 14, 2018, 08:16:02 am »

Total War uses the same concept but gives you consequences for it that make sense. You're free to move your armies around someone else's territory, but unless you get military access from them first, their opinion of you is going to drop significantly.

funny, i wonder if anyone has ever suggested doing that in stellaris
Pages: 1 ... 435 436 [437] 438 439 ... 632